DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

When did you start reading TWOT?

ratswot

In 2002, because my English teacher thought my story's main character was a pale attempt at plagarizing Rand.  Imagine her surprise to learn I had never read WoT and had based my firey young lass on old Celtic mythology and ancient history with Asian-based magical twists.  :rolleyes:

i started in late june 1996. someone suggested 2 fantasy series to me, i read them both to completion and have never had the opportunity to discuss either series or thank him for his suggestions...such is life.

One was obviously TWOT, what was the other?

i liked the sword of truth up until i read ayn rand. the fountainhead was a decent read but the political ideology was something i couldn't get behind. then, one day, i realized the similarities between between the fountainhead and faith of the fallen and physically wretched.

Think some "similarities" with SoT and a certain other series have been well documented here as well. :wink:

2009.  Was working on a tanker ship that had a real big library on it.  The Captain and some of the officers over the years were apparently real big nerds dressed as salty tough guys.  The whole series from book 1-10 was on board.  So I started reading.  Did books 1-7 in just 3 months.  (Think the fastest was reading book 4 in a week). 

I was 15, so it must have been 2005-2006 :)  7  years of wonderful journey. By that time they were out to 11 and i read them for 1 year. It is unforgettable. :)  One of the best times i had :) I still remember haw from the first scene when Nynaeve appears when it's not even sure yet if she was going to be a major character, i totally loved her. Love at first sight. Ha-ha :)  I was disappointed when all the Emond fielders left without her, then she joined them and from there on i absolutely fell in love with the books and not only because of Nynaeve :) 

1991. I was seven, and had a habit of stealing my grandma's thick-ass books. LOL, from that point on every video game that let you named a character had a Rand, Mat, Perrin, Elayne, and even Hopper (Secret of Evermore... a boy and his dog...)

A year or so ago. My friend nagged at me about how the villains in this series are amazing until I agreed to read it. Now I want to choke him.

LOL! You gotta read the series for what it is. Remember TWOT is essentially for young adults. Yes, I would have liked more depth and maturity in the characters but that would have taken it away from the younger core audience.

A year or so ago. My friend nagged at me about how the villains in this series are amazing until I agreed to read it. Now I want to choke him.

LOL! You gotta read the series for what it is. Remember TWOT is essentially for young adults. Yes, I would have liked more depth and maturity in the characters but that would have taken it away from the younger core audience.

No. The villains ARE good. I just need to ignore other stuff.

I'll like it a lot more on a second read. I like EVERYTHING more a second time.

LOL! You gotta read the series for what it is. Remember TWOT is essentially for young adults. Yes, I would have liked more depth and maturity in the characters but that would have taken it away from the younger core audienceI

I don't think it's only for young adults and there is plenty of depth. The depth doesn't come only from what's in the book but from the reader also. Sometimes the problem isn't in the book. 

LOL! You gotta read the series for what it is. Remember TWOT is essentially for young adults. Yes, I would have liked more depth and maturity in the characters but that would have taken it away from the younger core audienceI

I don't think it's only for young adults and there is plenty of depth. The depth doesn't come only from what's in the book but from the reader also. Sometimes the problem isn't in the book.

Given that the series is mainly found in the fantasy section, not the young adult section, I would say it's pretty clear that while the series may be accessible to young adults, they are not the primary intended audience.

She's right. I'm just out of my mind. Watching anything in which the heroes are badass is difficult for me.

As you can imagine, this makes watching most things hard. but I do so anyway, I just need to find ways to keep my mind off it.

Unfortunately, there are so few works in which the villains win.

Archived