DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Whats your favourite book?

For me its undeniably The Great Hunt. Great introduction with Rand being told he is the dragon by the Aes Sedai. Loved all of the visions that Nynaeve, Egwene and Rand have. Some really solid and evocative character pieces there; especially with how Rand slowly comes to accept his destiny as the dragon reborn; something which the novel concludes with. On top of that we have the capture of the girls by the incredibly villainous Seanchan. The sheer helplessness of their plight, coupled with the severity of the threat posed by these unexpected arrivals makes it so reqarding when they break free and everything kicks off at the end. This is done later on with Faile but somehow it just never reaches the same level. Finally we have an epic confrontation with the Whitecloaks, the Seanchan and the blowing of the horn to summon the heroes (with Arthur Hawkwing ironically killing the Seanchan come to restore his throne :) ) all the while Rand battles Ishmael. For me its by a long way the best novel I've read so far in the series. 

I like TFoH best but there are probably 5-6 of the other books in the series which are very close.

Its one of my favourite finales in any of the books, with Rand, Nynaeve, Moghedian, and Rhavin all battling it out in Caemlyn, and fighting through TAR.  Everything in the books just seems to make the world seem like a really big and complex place, with Rand leading the Aiel across the Dragonwall into the inevitable culture clash.  Rand gets to start taking control and acting like a ruler.  There's the amazing scene with Moiraine and Lanfear on the docks, and the capture of Moghedian.  I liked the balance in this book between world building, character development and interaction, action scenes, political intrigue, and also humourous scenes.  For me, tFoH is my favourite because the balance between these elements is best (imo) in this part of the story.

TSR for me. Attack on the Stone, fascinating peek back into the AoL, and the defense of the 2Rs. RJ with some fantastic writing and most likely the best pacing for the entire series. This is one of the books that made us all fall in love with the series.

I thought the first book was a little too close to Lord of The Rings. Lots of scenes seemed almost taken direct from it and it was hard for me to take that seriously. Although it had two very memorable WTF scenes with Moiraine it just didn't gel very well. I think if I re-read EoTW I would probably appreciate it more because I could contrast what the characters were like then to now.

I thought the first book was a little too close to Lord of The Rings. Lots of scenes seemed almost taken direct from it and it was hard for me to take that seriously. Although it had two very memorable WTF scenes with Moiraine it just didn't gel very well. I think if I re-read EoTW I would probably appreciate it more because I could contrast what the characters were like then to now.

^ This.

• 6 months later...

I think my favourite book in the series (certainly the one I look back on most fondly without re-reading) is Fires Of Heaven.

I dunno, I think it was the first book that assuaded my fears of "ridiculously powerful rand will kill conflicts before they begin", what with him almost being blown up in the Shaido battle and him straight up losing to Rahvin in the end.

I liked Mogehdien chasing after Nynaeve (even though she's kinda ooc in that whole plot imo) and her disguise is one of the few that I actually fell for till the end.

Rahvin was awesome and was one of the few Forsaken who got an awesome send off.

I finally started liking Lanfear with her "final" scene, which was so gloriously hammy and ridiculous that it was magnificent.

I guess I just felt in general it had a stronger conflict and the Forsaken were at some of their "onscreen" best

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My favourite book I think would be tSR, because of all the stuff with Perrin. I must say I also liked ToM pretty much too. But gonna read the series again soon, so maybe some other books are on the top then too!

Archived