DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

How tall do you think the female characters are?

I asked this on another forum. They reckoned I had overestimated how tall I thought they were (cept Moraine, she beautiful midget :D), I figured Elayne was 6ft and Aviendha 6 2''. Elayne is described as tall and I pretty much assumed Maidens=Amazons and Aviendha=redhead Wonder Woman. I know Rand is meant to be 6 6 like most Aiel men and I never really felt he was meant to be THAT much taller than the women. Also, we were really surprised that Birgitte is shorter than Nynaeve and more than a hand shorter than Elayne. I always assumed she was pretty tall being a warrior and having this slightly fae like quality as one of the heroes.

BTW, on a side note, I love in New Spring where Moraine says that her height doesn't bother her but it blatently bothers her. Like when she nearly exploded when Cadsuane calls her a "cute little porcelain doll" and when she thinks several women might have been attractive "but they were too tall". Then, in Eye of the World, the very first thing Moraine thinks of to scare the Whitecloaks is make herself a hundred feet tall? I mean, come on... :D 

Yeah, I just wouldn't say 5 8 is tall for a woman myself. I am about 5 11 myself  and its pretty common to see women who are about the same height as me.  Whilst the Aeil are portrayed as being almost a people apart with most of the population being on average noticeably a lot taller than normal. You think if the average male height was scaled up to 6 6 then (Is Rand representative of average Aeil height?) you would expect the female average to be scaled up as well.

Interview: Oct 17th, 1994

Erica Sadun
No spoilers.
Robert Jordan

Heights:

Rand—6'6"

Perrin—6'2"

Mat—5'11.5"

Aviendha—5'8-5'9

Elayne—5'6"

Nynaeve—5'4"

Egwene—5'2"

Moiraine—5'0-5'2

I've always thought of Nynaeve being pretty tall 5'8"ish. Also didn't figure Egwene was 5'2". Also had her around 5'6" or 5'7".

Erica Sadun
No spoilers.
Robert Jordan

Heights:

Rand—6'6"

Perrin—6'2"

Mat—5'11.5"

Aviendha—5'8-5'9

Elayne—5'6"

Nynaeve—5'4"

Egwene—5'2"

Moiraine—5'0-5'2

I've always thought of Nynaeve being pretty tall 5'8"ish. Also didn't figure Egwene was 5'2". Also had her around 5'6" or 5'7".

Actually I'd say I pretty much had Nynaeve down as being about that height. Small woman, over-bearing personality and towering ego. But yeah, I never had Egwene down as a midget.

5'2" is not a midget thank you very much

Agreed.  I am only 5'2", which is wonderfully tall for women in my family.  Now, my grandmother standing only 4'8"...  Well...  That height is debatable in my book.

Still, I pegged Rand at a few inches taller for some reason.  Probably because I am used to seeing guys who stand 6' with a hand's height to spare.  Moraine, I had figured the height on fairly accurately based on descriptions of her talking to various characters.

Bit touchy aren't we? Some Moiraine syndrome going on here I think.  :D

Seriously it was so WTF when Moiraine made an illusion of herself as a giant. That woman really doesn't like being short! She plays it completely mature and respectful then she does something childish like that like that. I really laughed when afterwards a shocked Egwene asks about her being as big as a giant and Moiraine just passes it off as "Was I?" casual as anything.  :D

But that aside, this is heroic fantasy and you would expect some of the women main characters to be bit taller than normal IMO especially when there is a race of really tall people in the series.   

Erica Sadun
No spoilers.
Robert Jordan

Heights:

Rand—6'6"

Perrin—6'2"

Mat—5'11.5"

Aviendha—5'8-5'9

Elayne—5'6"

Nynaeve—5'4"

Egwene—5'2"

Moiraine—5'0-5'2

Actually I'd say I pretty much had Nynaeve down as being about that height. Small woman, over-bearing personality and towering ego. But yeah, I never had Egwene down as a midget.

I thought the first description we got for Nyn and Egwene via Rand in tEotW was that they were small, dark women. 5'2" isn't a midget though, that's a pretty normal height for petit women. I wish Min was there. I started off thinking she'd be around Egwene/Nyn's height but then there is a part (via Elyane) where Min is in heels and apparently almost as tall as Avi who I thought was like 5'10-11. Since Rand isn't an exception amongst the Aiel I would think their women average at supermodel height, freakishly tall as they are collectively. 

Archived