DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Relations

trakand01

I am being very dumb here, but can someone please confirm that

a. Rand is related to Elayne

b. If Egwene marries Gawyn, Rand will be distantly related to her

c. Rand is now related to Nynaeve (through Lan)

???

This is becoming to sound like Eastenders! Are there any other main characters that are related in this way - is Thom actually Elayne's father?!? (I havent read book 11 yet).

I am being very dumb here' date=' but can someone please confirm that

[/quote']

So distantly that no one would recognize it without tracing their bloodlines very far back,

I doubt that anyone would consider them to be more than in-laws due to the distance in Rand's relationship to Gawyn.

???

The only thing tying Lan's blood to Rand's is Slayer, they are not related.

This is becoming to sound like Eastenders! Are there any other main characters that are related in this way - is Thom actually Elayne's father?!? (I havent read book 11 yet).

Thom is possibly Elayne's father, but I do not see Morgase having an affair even though she was in a loveless marriage.

I thought morgase did have an affair with Thom, but only after Elayne was born.

Rand and Lan are indeed NOT related (Slayer is just the combination of two unrelated people, namely Lan's cousin and Rand's ...)

Rand is a half brother of Galad through their mother (Tigraine),

And Elayne is half sister of Galad through their father (Taringail).

So they aren't related. See Encyclopaedia 2.5.1

Rand = Tigraine Mantear (Shaile) + Janduin of the Taardad Aiel

Galad = Tigraine Mantear + Taringale Damodred

Luc = Tigraine Mantear (Shaiel)'s brother.

Therefore:

Rand and Galad = Half-brothers (maternal side) and Luc = Their maternal uncle

Elayne (and Gawyn) = Taringail Damodred + Morgase Trakand

Therefore:

Elayne/Gawyn and Galad = Half-siblings (Paternal side)

and

Elayne/Gawyn and Rand = Step-siblings (no blood relative/parent in common)

Being that all of the Andoran houses are related distantly, Rand and Elayne probably do have some common relatives but not close enough to make a difference.

Guest cwestervelt
I am being very dumb here' date=' but can someone please confirm that

[/quote']

No. Rand is not related to Elayne. The connection between houses Mantear and Trakand are so far back that they would not be recognized as related outside of claims to the throne. He is the 1/2 brother of Galad because the share they same mother. Elayne is the half sister of Galad because they share the same father. Rand and Elayne do not share any close relatives.

No. There will not be any relation between Rand and Egwene or Rand and Gawyn for the same reason there is no relationship between Rand and Elayne.

No. Rand isn't related to Nynaeve. Rand and Lan are not related. Rand is the nephew of Luc, one half of the entity known as Slayer. Lan is the cousin of Isam, the other half of the entity known as Slayer. Rand is not related to the Isam half, and Lan is not related to Luc half.

Edit: Let's make it 4 just to keep make thorum happy. That way we increase our chances of explaining it in a way that is understandable to the most people possible.

Correct, Rand is related to Elayne...she's his wife(according to aiel customs).

Not distantly, she would become his brother-in-law's wife.

???

As other posts have stated. No.

Rand is NOT realted to elayne...well... so far back it wouldn't even matter but being married doesn't make you related... and in Andor customs your not married yet... and elayne isn't aiel and rand doesn't really follow the aiel customs

but being married doesn't make you related...

I beg to differ. Being married doesn't make you a blood relative, but it does make you related. It is the relationship of husband and wife. And married is married. It doesn't really matter who's customs you use. Otherwise, we could claim that Nyneve and Lan are only married when on a seafolk ship since they were married according to the seafolk custom, but neither are seafolk or follow seafolk customs in anything other than marriage. I'm sure that both of them would take umbrage at this claim. Another example would be Mat and Tuon. There wasn't even a ceremony for them. Are they not married?

Guest cwestervelt

Correct' date=' Rand is related to Elayne...she's his wife(according to aiel customs).

[/quote']

And when has this supposed marriage between Elayne and Rand occured?

Correct' date=' Rand is related to Elayne...she's his wife(according to aiel customs).

[/quote']

And when has this supposed marriage between Elayne and Rand occured?

Only thing I can think of that might make it seem that way was the bonding session with Elayne, Min, Aviendah and Ran. Though that still isnt marriage.

I thought morgase did have an affair with Thom' date=' but only after Elayne was born.

[/quote']

It is known that Thom was Morgase's lover for awhile after Taringal died, and it seemed fairly obious in TSR that Thom killed him.

This might have just slipped my mind in reading, but where is this obvious?

Guest cwestervelt
I thought morgase did have an affair with Thom' date=' but only after Elayne was born.

[/quote']

It is known that Thom was Morgase's lover for awhile after Taringal died, and it seemed fairly obious in TSR that Thom killed him.

This might have just slipped my mind in reading, but where is this obvious?

That is the first I have ever heard of that one. And I've read The Shadow Rising at least half a dozen times. I think algspkr is mixed up with the last Cairhienin king. Thom triggered the Cairheinin civil war by assassinating him.

i believe there is part where it is mentioned that thom had a fling with morgase and left caemlyn with the threat of being hung by her cuz he ticked her off for some reason. i believe it's in either EotW or TGH but i can't recall exactly. also, i think moraine says something to that effect...tho it might be with thom and part of the scene i'm referring to above...

Thom had an affair with Morgase after he killed Taringail Damodred (without her knowledge) to protect Morgase from Taringail's ambition. Then Thom got word of the Red Ajah hunting down his nephew Owyn, and went to help him, against the orders of Morgase (who considered men who could channel the province of Aes Sedai) and her advisor, Elaida (who was Red Ajah herself). When he was unable to help Owyn, he returned to Caemlyn, denounced Elaida and argued with Morgase, calling her, among other things, a Tar Valon puppet. She ordered his execution, and he escaped just ahead of Gareth Bryne's men.

Oddly, he now seems to be in love with Moiraine Damodred, the half-sister of the man he murdered. And Moiraine seems to return his regard, although given the way she feels about her family, thats not as odd as it might normally seem.

Archived