DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

[Anime] Attack On Titan

Nolder

I haven't seen an anime I liked this much in years. Is anyone else watching this?

The premise is that giant humanoids known as Titans rose up one day and killed off most of humanity. The survivors gathered together and built a big wall in a circle and the Titans couldn't get in for a hundred years. The show opens when the wall is finally breached after a hundred years of peace.

It reminds me a lot of Starship Troopers.

Watch it for free (with ads) here: http://www.crunchyroll.com/attack-on-titan

• 4 months later...

Sorry Nolder, you probably won't find a lot of anime people on this forum (though I might just be saying that because I'm relatively new myself).

And yes, Attack on Titan is amazing.  And even though you've caught up, I'd very strongly recommend you don't go and read the manga.  It's a long way ahead, but it just can't capture the feeling you get when watching the Titans moving in their full speed, strength, and glory (especially the lead ones).

I especially love the plot and premise behind it - the Titans themselves don't appear all that threatening until you start seeing their strength, their regenerative abilities, and more besides.  The idea that they've pushed humanity to the brink of extinction is completely believable after you see a couple of them in actual combat, and of course everyone wants to know more about the Titan leaders.  This is the first time since Legendary Heroes that I can barely wait for a season 2 so we can learn more about that world and the creatures in it (and let's not forget the massive reveal in the last five seconds of the finale, eh?  eh?)

• Community Administrator

This is the first I've heard of it. (How did I miss this thread?)

No, I've been watching....

Hajime no Ippo Rising (Means Fighting Spirit, About boxing. Marathoned over 95 episodes 2 weeks ago.)

Uchuu Kyoudai (Space Brothers)

And, Gatchaman Crowds. (Weird as all hell.)

I'll have to add this to my list to watch... It sounds like Pacific Rim?

It sounds like Pacific Rim?

Mmmmmmmmm kiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiind of.

Except that Pacific Rim was battles on even footing. Giant aliens vs giant robots.

This is more like Ewoks trying to beat the empire (how it really should have gone not how they presented it in the movie).

Prepare yourself for a lot of dead Ewoks.

Edit: Game of Thrones and Walking Dead have nothing on AOT.

It sounds like Pacific Rim?

Mmmmmmmmm kiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiind of.

Except that Pacific Rim was battles on even footing. Giant aliens vs giant robots.

This is more like Ewoks trying to beat the empire (how it really should have gone not how they presented it in the movie).

Prepare yourself for a lot of dead Ewoks.

Edit: Game of Thrones and Walking Dead have nothing on AOT.

Watching the first episode. (about half-way in at this point)

I can see its appeal, and hopefully it stays good. (so few good anime out there)

Ever watch Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagan?

Watching the first episode. (about half-way in at this point)

I can see its appeal, and hopefully it stays good. (so few good anime out there)

Ever watch Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagan?

I didn't dislike any of the episodes.

There were a couple about halfway through that were flashbacks and so didn't continue the main plot but you actually got some character development so it wasn't that bad. Aside from that it's all good.

And nah never watched that.

Dammit Nolder.

Now I'm Marathoning this show for the next week! :tongue:

As for TTGL? Its really good. I can't say for certain if its better, equal or below AoT, but I can say for certain, TTGL is certainly weirder than this show. Characters do die in both shows. Though the quantity of humans that die, is entirely different. But the quality of the humans that die, are definitely there.

I like to think, that TTGL = the first novel of Mist Born. Only on crack, and in space. :tongue:

• 3 weeks later...

I love the show actually. I don't pop in here much so hadn't seen this thread before but I think it's great. I sadly found the manga before the anime but I've since stopped reading so that when the anime catches up everything will start being a surprise for me again.

I agree with Zhon that while the manga is good it can't compete with the anime, which is weird. I've found it's generally the other way around.

Dammit Nolder.

Now I'm Marathoning this show for the next week! :tongue:

As for TTGL? Its really good. I can't say for certain if its better, equal or below AoT, but I can say for certain, TTGL is certainly weirder than this show. Characters do die in both shows. Though the quantity of humans that die, is entirely different. But the quality of the humans that die, are definitely there.

I like to think, that TTGL = the first novel of Mist Born. Only on crack, and in space. :tongue:

Like Zhon said TTGL has become one of the modern classics, and in my opinion it's definitely a way better anime than Attack on Titan in nearly every aspect. Attack on Titan was a good show, but in all honesty it also had it's fair share of flaws. I did read the manga of Attack on Titan way back though, and stopped somewhere where the anime has now ended so my experience was spoiled a little by that, but I still found it a very enjoyable and most notably an epic show, and I hope that they will continue where they left off. There has been a lack lately of more mature anime shows, and I'm happy that Attack on Titan is filling the gap.

Btw the first novel of Mistborn reminded me soo much on a combination of TTGL and Ocean's Eleven XD

Btw the first novel of Mistborn reminded me soo much on a combination of TTGL and Ocean's Eleven XD

Heh, true that!

I read Mistborn, before I even saw TTGL,

So after I saw the entire season I said.

"Holy shit. That was mistborn!" :tongue:

And that's only in a generality in its plot aspects.

It's along the same lines of saying WoT = LOTR. Different stories, universes, terminologies. But share similar beginnings/endings/ect. :wink:

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've started watching it recently, and quite like it. I'm only ten episodes in, but I'm getting a sense that there's a deeper story waiting to unfold...

Well they have given a release date for the live action Attack on Titan movie...

And now for something completely different...

http://comicsalliance.com/live-action-attack-on-titan-movie-subaru-commercial-video/

Wait, seriously?

And here I was expecting a normal Subaru commercial.

• 3 weeks later...

Guess what guys, sounds like we're in for a good dub!  Here's the first official trailer, the voices sound surprisingly natural - no lipsync problems at all - and Eren sounds exactly like he should given an english voice.

Archived