DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Corki

A quick suggestion...

I have seen in a few places where admins have said avatars/siggies are too big, but I see a problem arising from this. What happens if the DM member doesn't sign in for a few days and weeks, and the post on which the avatar/siggy wassaid to be big has been posted on? What are the likelihoods of someone wading through post after post?

Therefore, isn't it more logical to PM the member with the problem? I suggest this for a few reasons:

1. The post about the avatar/siggy being too big won't be lost due to posting.

2. Admins might not get complaints about posting such threads when a discussion was in full flow.

3. When the member signs in next time, they will get a pop up box saying a PM has arrived.

4. It is more discreat.

Do what you wish with my suggestion.

Guest Egwene

ref. Coki's suggestion to PM people. Would it be possible to have the 'You have no/1 new message' bit to flash when there is a message? Anyone that doesn't send a lot, isn't expecting one is quite likely to forget to check....

Guest Egwene

I checked both those options, but trouble is I don't check my e-mail that regularily and there does not seem to be a pop-up window when a PM arrives. So even checking those options does not always work.

Ok...

Go to your profile and scroll down to the preferences section. There you should find an option that says:

"Pop up window on new Private Message:

Some templates may open a new window to inform you when new private messages arrive."

Select 'yes', and hopefully you should get pop ups.

Maybe this is another flaw with the IE explorer and these boards...

Guest Egwene

sorry...didn't put that very well. I have these options ticked but no pop up window appears when a message comes in...

I get a notification that Firefox has blocked a pop up.

But just as an aside, I GREATLY prefer email as a means of communication. Being an Admin requires forwarding and CCing alot of other people bits on bits of information and PMs don't do that. I also check my email MUCH more frequently than I do the boards.

Guest Egwene

Kathana.....yeah, sorry about the PM's...didn't know how to best get hold of you....so will use e-mail in future. I was raising the issue of PM alert on this thread in connection with Corki's suggestion of PMing people whose avaters are too big. It has happened to me once or twice that I missed a PM for some time...

I am on firefox as well, so maybe that's the reason....

Guest Egwene

Thanks Mat, unfortunately, I use computers but don't understand them..'sigh'

I would be grateful if anyone could explain where on firefox I need to go to allow the pop ups for this site....I had a look and asked a friend but both came back negative...

You should be getting a message at the top of your browser that says something to the affect that a popup has been blocked. If you right click the bar you should get a few options, one of them should be "Allow" popus for this site (or something to that affect).

Mat

Guest Egwene

Thanks Mat...I have been able to catch the bar that says 'a pop up has been blocked' and clicked on it....and yes, it does work *does a happy dance*

...now if you could sort out our main computer.....*runs away even as Matalina throws the first item in her direction...*

Archived