DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Thomdril Merrilin, Court Bard, Gleeman, Storyteller Extraordinaire

jedman67

Thom is one of the most perplexing characters. From a simple Gleeman who can knock your socks off with a tale (or a knife - blindfolded) so riveting, so immersing, you almost believe you're there, to a spymaster and senior lieutenant in one of the worlds fastest growing armies. 

The little that we know of Thom's history comes from Moiraines conversation, about Thoms gentled nephew, and Moiraines assurances they would meet again.

The rest is what we see and read about him. Despite being a fairly distinctive figure, an old, white haired, white mustached dignified gentleman, he has an uncanny ability to blend in, to remain virtually unseen and unremembered if he so chooses.

He was almost certainly a member of a minor noble* house of Carhein or Caemlyn - he was an expert musician and had a talent for storytelling, and likely had connections to become a Court Bard - no easy feat, i imagine.

From his position as Court-Bard of Caemlyn, he was also an expert snoop and an expert in Daes Da'mar (it would not surprise me if his involvement in DD led to Taringail's "accidental" death. But that might be pushing it).

Aside from all this interesting little tidbits, who is the real Thom? 

Who IS Thomdrill Merrilin??

From his position as Court-Bard of Caemlyn, he was also an expert snoop and an expert in Daes Da'mar (it would not surprise me if his involvement in DD led to Taringail's "accidental" death. But that might be pushing it).

He was responsible, it isn't stated explicitly but it's pretty obvious.

TSR Ch.17

Her smile was just short of laughter, but she spoke as if reading from a page. "Thomdril Merrilin. Called the Gray Fox, once, by some who knew him, or knew of him. Court-bard at the Royal Palace of Andor in Caemlyn. Morgase's lover for a time, after Taringail died. Fortunate for Morgase, Taringail's death. I do not suppose she ever learned he meant her to die and himself to be Andor's first king. But we were speaking of Thom Merrilin, a man who, it was said, could play the Game of Houses in his sleep. It is a shame that such a man calls himself a simple gleeman. But such arrogance to keep the same name."

TFoH Ch. 19

Taringail had been a cold, distant man, and there was never love, despite two wonderful children; it had been almost a relief when he died in a hunting accident.

We see he is more than willing to take matters into his own hands like in Cairhein.

Hmm, I recall him telling Mat a story that a woman complained about her abusive husband - when he offered to "rescue him" she had him chased with little but the clothes on his back.
Could this be a reference to Taringails death and him being chased away by Morgase after trying to save Owyn?

• 1 month later...

Archived