DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Tel'an'rhiod and Rand's "Insanity"

TheoryMan

Just want to point out something (someone has probably already mentioned it), but if you enter Tel'an'rhiod in the flesh, something bad is supposed to happen. Maybe there is a relation to Luc / Isam, Rand's voices, and Tel'an'rhoid? Only thing that does not seem to fit thought is why Egwene has not developed anything like this.

Guest cwestervelt

There is no evidence that entering Tel'aran'rhiod in the flesh is anything other than a social taboo. When pressed, it essentially boiled down to the Wise Ones saying it is evil because it can and has been used for evil. That is like saying a gun is evil because it can and has been used to commit murder.

Based on PoV's from at least one of the Forsaken, it is quite possible that physical entry into Tel'aran'rhiod was a common and accepted practice during the Age of Legends. It is mentioned at least once (I think by Moghedien) how the Ter'angreal that allow access where intended as nothing more than training tools.

Addition:

Gaul, by Crossroads of Twilight Rand has entered a lot of times. During The Dragon Reborn he chased Ba'alzamon there and during The Fires of Heaven he chased Rahvin there. It was also be entering physically that he observed the meeting between the Aes Sedai and Wise Ones allowing him to find the location of Salidar. He even comments on how he uses the reflection of the Stone to check up on Callandor.

He also appears to have been pulled in once or twice during his journey to Tear. Somehow he managed to stay a consistent distance ahead of Moiraine even though her party was mounted and he was on foot. Not to mention that while making that journey he almost killed either Perrin or Egwene when one of them came across him while Dreaming. Rand, not being a Dreamer, shouldn't have been concious enough of where he was to have stayed as long as he did otherwise.

It is mentioned at least once (I think by Moghedien) how the Ter'angreal that allow access where intended as nothing more than training tools.

Its actually thought by Demandred, when he sees Elayne using one of the ter'angreal she made to look into the throne room of the Royal Palace of Andor while Rand is in charge in Caemlyn. Because it is one made by Elayne herself, the ter'angreal gives her a misty appearance, which Demandred thinks is much like the training ter'angreal used in his own time.

So, thats not really evidence for or against people entering Tel'aran'rhiod physically in the Age of Legends. The difference between the training ter'angreal and the regular ter'angreal could just be the lack of mistiness, like when the girls use the ring they brought with them from the Tower. It doesn't necessarily denote physcial entry.

Not to mention that while making that journey he almost killed either Perrin or Egwene when one of them came across him while Dreaming.

It was Egwene. And pulling people physically into Tel'aran'rhiod seems to have been a common tactic of the Shadow, given some of the descriptions of Moghedien and Lanfear's work during the War of the Power, as described in their sections of the BWB. It may be that a somewhat garbled memory of that is what led to the taboo among the Aiel Wise Ones.

Just from what we have seen, there is no evidence of a problem caused by entering Tel'aran'rhiod in the flesh.

The only thing I could be persuaded to believe is from the example of Slayer given by Perrin's nose. Perrin indicates that Slayer smells less "human" I think, both in TAR and in TRW as Luc. Perhaps that is the long-term result is that the person loses part of their humanity?

The only thing I could be persuaded to believe is from the example of Slayer given by Perrin's nose. Perrin indicates that Slayer smells less "human" I think' date=' both in TAR and in TRW as Luc. Perhaps that is the long-term result is that the person loses part of their humanity?[/quote']

Quite possibly, or it might just be a result of his merger or the way the shadow has operated on him.

I think you could well be right though. Whilst it is possible that it is only an Aiel taboo, I think that if one spends too much time there it might have a detrimental affect. Egwene only went there once in the flesh though, although I think Rand's been there a number of times (actually that's the only way he can get there unless he's been dragged there by the forsaken).

I don't remember the scene when Egwene was almost killed by Rand. I'm not disputing it, it's just there is a lot of little stuff I have forgotten! I remember Nynaeve entering her village and finding herself confronted by someone she thinks is Lan (it turned out to be Isam of course).

Archived