DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

So glad to finally find a WoT community!

mancanfly

Hello All!

I'm Caleb, and I am so gald to finally find a community for fans of the series. I could talk about it endlessly.

I first started reading the series in the year 2000. Some guys in high school were trying to race through the books to see who could read them the fastest. The Eye of the World was so fast paced, I managed to devour it immediately, but by book two, I had to drop out of the race. I fell so in love with the story, I could not just read it for the sake of reading. I wanted to absorb it and be absorbed by it. The books became an escape from the angst and drama of high school adolescence. I feel to this day as if I grew up with the characters; as if I knew them personally.

Even as a native of Charleston, SC, I was unaware that the author was local. Right after senior graduation, I enlisted in the Marine Corps and the books remained my safe haven. They were an escape from a new kind of stress and even anger. It became a tradition that my Nanna would send me a hard back copy of a newly released book where ever I was. I sent my books home for safekeeping as I read them and one year, when I managed to get home on leave for Christmas, I was surprised to find that a family member had taken them to a signing by Mr. Jordan, each one penned, "For Caleb, Best wishes, Robert Jordan." It was a wondrous gift. My only regret is that I never got to meet him personally.

When I learned of Mr. Jordan's death, I was heartbroken. My mother told me about it over the phone and even saved the articles from a Charleston paper for me. One day, Mr. Jordan was quoted that he was on the mend and ready to get back to work. A few days later, he was gone. I was halfway through Knife of Dreams, and I couldn't bring myself to finish reading it. I was shocked and sad, and also selfishly worried that I would never know how the story ended. I felt that my veritable Fortress of Solitude had been demolished.

When I discovered the series was to be finished by a ghost author, I had mixed feelings of joy and anger. I couldn't read the story written by someone else! The Gathering Storm came to me one Christmas and sat untouched for a number of months. I was worried to read it would be to risk disappointment. I eventually decided to re-read the entire series. Now an adult, I picked up on so much that I must have missed reading the series as a teenager! I loved it all the more and reluctantly cracked the cover to book 12. It read differently, as I expected. There was a word in the first sentence of the prologue that I am convinced to this day that Mr. Jordan would never have used; "porch." Although I don't know what word he would have used, it just didn't sit well with me and I put the book down for a week or so. But it had been like cracking the lid of Pandora's Box. I dove into it head first and tried to ignore the sense that I was doing Mr. Jordan a disservice.

The long and the short of it is this: the final three books were phenomenal. I cried at numerous turns of page; yes, this grown man who was once a Marine. Mr. Sanderson took on a monumental task and had impossible shoes to fill. I cannot imagine the pressures associated with completing such a legacy and fulfilling the wishes of millions of fans worldwide. He did it and he did it well.

Laugh if you like, but whenever I meet someone and learn they are fans of the series, I have a sense that we are somehow related. I have only every experienced this kind of kinship with fellow Marines. I make a point of offering to buy a paperback copy of the first book for anyone I talk to who seems interested in the genre. It is my hope that Mr. Jordan will still have a chance to enrich lives of others as he has enriched mine.

Wow.

Welcome to DM Caleb. You have had an amazing journey to find us and I'm glad you are here.

This is certainly the right place for people who love the Wheel of Time books. We have a discussion board just for them - and the latest has its own special spoiler board as it's still quite new

I've been reading them for a very long time and thought that perhaps they would never be finished. It is a mixed feeling now that they finally have come to the end.

If you would like to just hang out with other WoT fans you should check out our Social Groups. There is a big choice so you are bound to find one that suits you, or if you would like to experience Randland more fully you could try our RP boards? Have you ever done any writing before?

And if you stay, as I hope you do, you will need to sort out an avatar and siggy :smile:

Feel free to ask questions. We are a friendly bunch and love to help :)

Welcome, Caleb!  First, thank you so much for your service to our country!  Second, I know what you mean about a sense of kinship with other fans of the series.

I second Ithi's suggestion to check out the social groups.  If you like to role play,  we have RP groups, as well.  There's also the book discussion forum.  Do take a look around and I hope we'll see you in the White Tower Social Group!

Welcome Caleb! I know exactly how you felt about the last three books. It took me forever to start reading Gathering Storm but when I did I was pleasantly surprised . Brandon Sanderson did an awesome job finishing up the series and I can't imagine anyone else doing a better job except for RJ himself.

I agree with Ithi and Dar about the social groups. You should check them out. Being military you may enjoy The Band of the Red Hand. It's a great place to have fun and meet other people. You will also find here at DM that we do have a family feel here. Each of us here are a brother or a sister of the WoT family. :)

I love your introduction post, Caleb.  My son is in the Air Force.  I like how you offer others the books too.  Aren't they wonderful?  I think you will really like it here.

Wow.

Welcome to DM Caleb. You have had an amazing journey to find us and I'm glad you are here.

This is certainly the right place for people who love the Wheel of Time books. We have a discussion board just for them - and the latest has its own special spoiler board as it's still quite new

I've been reading them for a very long time and thought that perhaps they would never be finished. It is a mixed feeling now that they finally have come to the end.

If you would like to just hang out with other WoT fans you should check out our Social Groups. There is a big choice so you are bound to find one that suits you, or if you would like to experience Randland more fully you could try our RP boards? Have you ever done any writing before?

And if you stay, as I hope you do, you will need to sort out an avatar and siggy :smile:

Thanks for the warm welcome! I am still trying to get used to how the site is set up. Haha.

When you ask if I've written before, do you mean scenarios for the RP board? I have the WoT Roleplaying Game book but I've never found anyone who plays it. I actually don't know much about RP.

I love your introduction post, Caleb.  My son is in the Air Force.  I like how you offer others the books too.  Aren't they wonderful?  I think you will really like it here.

Thanks so much. God bless your son and thank you for the warm welcome.

Wow.

Welcome, Caleb!  First, thank you so much for your service to our country!  Second, I know what you mean about a sense of kinship with other fans of the series.

I second Ithi's suggestion to check out the social groups.  If you like to role play,  we have RP groups, as well.  There's also the book discussion forum.  Do take a look around and I hope we'll see you in the White Tower Social Group!

Wow.

Welcome Caleb! I know exactly how you felt about the last three books. It took me forever to start reading Gathering Storm but when I did I was pleasantly surprised . Brandon Sanderson did an awesome job finishing up the series and I can't imagine anyone else doing a better job except for RJ himself.

I agree with Ithi and Dar about the social groups. You should check them out. Being military you may enjoy The Band of the Red Hand. It's a great place to have fun and meet other people. You will also find here at DM that we do have a family feel here. Each of us here are a brother or a sister of the WoT family. :)

Thank you all for the warm welcome, your kind words, and your suggestions. Please bear with me as I try to figure out the site. Haha.

Thanks so much. God bless your son and thank you for the warm welcome.

Thank you, Caleb. I will tell my son.

Wow.

Thanks for the warm welcome! I am still trying to get used to how the site is set up. Haha.

When you ask if I've written before, do you mean scenarios for the RP board? I have the WoT Roleplaying Game book but I've never found anyone who plays it. I actually don't know much about RP.

I don't actually know much about RPs here either lol - but it might have been something you could enjoy so it's best to cast the net wide :) We do have a lot of RPers here though - their groups are the next level down from the Social Groups. There is a place called the Welcome Inn that you can post in and ask questions to find our more about their world.

I'm only really active in the Social Groups myself. I'm a little bit evil in the Black Tower Social Group and a Blue Aes Sedai in the White Tower. We also have Aiel, Wolkin, The Kin,Band of the Red hand and Shayol Ghul Groups. I was quite active in the Aiel a long time ago.

Sometimes I venture into General Discussion for a poke about or Mafia Game as well.

You say you are still trying to figure out how everything works. Would you like some help or are you happy to just click click click till you figure it out lol.

Wow.

I don't actually know much about RPs here either lol - but it might have been something you could enjoy so it's best to cast the net wide :) We do have a lot of RPers here though - their groups are the next level down from the Social Groups. There is a place called the Welcome Inn that you can post in and ask questions to find our more about their world.

I'm only really active in the Social Groups myself. I'm a little bit evil in the Black Tower Social Group and a Blue Aes Sedai in the White Tower. We also have Aiel, Wolkin, The Kin,Band of the Red hand and Shayol Ghul Groups. I was quite active in the Aiel a long time ago.

Sometimes I venture into General Discussion for a poke about or Mafia Game as well.

You say you are still trying to figure out how everything works. Would you like some help or are you happy to just click click click till you figure it out lol.

I am slowly getting the hang of things just by exploring. Thank you though. I have never joined a "feed/thread" site before and it takes a bit of getting used to.

Maybe you can answer a question for me though. These groups you're talking about, do you participate as different characters in them? What all does one get up to? I have often wondered what character I might be if I were a part of the WoT universe and I think I have settled on an apprentice Warder who discovers he can channel. I think that was the background of Thom's son right? I would still want to be a part of the White Tower as a channeling Warder though. I wonder how the story goes from where MoL leaves off. Do the White Tower and the Black Tower unite to form one coopperative Aes Sedai society yet again? Etc.

I am a total geek about this stuff. I even drew an insanely detailed map with a decorative border on a large piece of cardstock a while back. Haha.

I believe you might be able to do that in RP land - but you would have to double check with them.

RP Land is a Portal Stone World - so is not the actual Rand Land of the stories and things are behind there in their Timeline. There are Ashaman in their BT who have Bonded or been Bonded by Red Sisters I think. Saidin is still Tainted though ...

You best place to ask is the BT RP group. They can explain about how to begin with your character. I think you have to write a Biography first.

In the Social Groups we do not do RP - although a bit of playing with our roles is allowed. In the BT I am actually Bonded to the M'Hael - and in the WT he is my Warder. But he is not an Asha'man there. I am Ithillian in both though.

We are just ourselves in the Social Groups - well mostly. A little bit of playing every now and then can be fun :biggrin:

Ohh Caleb what a wonderful introduction.

It made me cry because it brought the pain the pain of losing Robert Jordan anew. I heard about his death during the reading of KoD also. Someone blurted it out to me during a discussion on WoT and I feel blood rushed out of my face. I refused to believe it, absolutely refused to until now. I can remember the heavy feeling that I associated with KoD and couldn't finish the book until much later. Instead I started rereading the whole series again to try to recapture that moment of innocent wonder again. I can remember finishing the first book and thinking to myself that this is the story that would never end. There was so many possibilities, so many characters that could be fleshed out and given their own stories. Even the most unimportant.

I'm new here as well and I was driven to seek new people that also loved the story as much as I do. Everyone around me has finished the story and that's it for them. They've moved on. They couldn't understand my obsession with endless characters discussions and speculation on the intricacies of meanings within the books. I also loved that you said you feel kinship with others who have read the series. For that I thank you. 

For all it's worth welcome. I hope to hear more from you.

Welcome to the site sir! I'm very new myself, so I'm still unsure of things as well. I'm no stranger to forums though, so you'll get the hang of it :smile:.

I don't think I can properly imagine how anyone would have felt reading The Wheel of Time for so long, and then having Robert Jordan pass away like that. For me, I started off a huge Brandon Sanderson fan. I read his whole Mistborn series, Elantris, Warbreaker, Way of Kings, all of those. I heard of the Wheel of Time from his website when he said he was finishing the series. I looked up some info on it, liked what I saw, and started reading away. I guess for me, that transition from Robert Jordan to Brandon Sanderson was an easy one.They are both incredibly accomplished authors and I don't think he could have picked anyone better to finish his life's work.

I'm the opposite zanarky. I only started reading Sanderson through WoT. Prior to that I've nver even heard of him. When I saw his name on the cover I was appaled. How could anyone do justice to the series? But I couldn't stop reading WoT to save my life so I continued. While he is a fine writer I have to say no-one,no-one could do justice to the series like RJ himself!! Despite the wafling on in CoT. God I was so sick of Perrin and Faile by the end of the book! Save her already and let's move on the last battle is coming people! I didn't like how the Aes Seday were treated either. I thought he could've been more kinder to them after all they were the product of their society. I like how they manipulated the world through politics and they were shown to be as power hungry as man could be given the right circumstances. So honest and human.

I have since read The mistborn series and the Alloy of War. I also enjoy The Way of Kings and couldn't wait for the next instalment.

I'm now rereading WoT again as well. 

*still rahving on about CoT*... And Perrin's endless existential angst! So your eyes turn yellow, so queens bow down to you, you are the leader of your village and the wolves,you have the Aes Seday bowing and scraping at you, you can go to WoD whenever you close your eyes, Berelain,she of the impresive bosom got the hots for you, boohoo poor you! I would've like for something concrete to happen between them two. Then Faile can have something to be jealous about! Maybe I just don't like her because she remind me of something I dislike in myself. Still it would've provided the much needed spice in their relationship if Berelain manage to have her wicked ways with Perrin. The innocent and naive blacksmith from the backwater gets a much needed education in conjugal relationship. Menage a trois anyone?

Oops sorry if spoiled it for anyone not up to CoT.

No false modesty here :tongue:

• 3 weeks later...

Welcome Caleb I'm still new here but I loved your story of how you got to where you are now. I think this is the right place for people who love the series. I'm new but I felt right at home when I signed up :)

Lex we've already met on chat but welcome again 

Archived