DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Rumor Mill

Guest deancb7

We also have the "River of Souls" short story concerning Demandred to look forward to.

Aside form that RJ was very much against any type of "shared world" scenario. He was uncomfortable with anyone writing in his world and only allowed the series to be finished at the last minute. It would go against his wishes to continue. On top of that there is zero source material to work off of and Team Jordan does not want to risk his legacy.

• 2 weeks later...

Ah, but if the movies ever get made and are a big hit the $ will override wishes and something will be produced.  TOR will demand it and and contracts are contracts.  A writer's wish to keep his world to himself and reluctance to share and eccentricities of wiping hard drives dozens of times were personal matters, TOR owns a stake in the WOT universe as does whoever bought the movie rights has creative license to explore such things as graphic novels, games, and ebooks and extra material.  (I can't remember RJ ever saying that an Encyclopedia would follow, AMOL was to be it.)  Another author was already hired to complete what was supposed to be one book which was expanded into three.  So respect for a writers wishes is often only a mere courtesy.  Whosoever owns the rights has full creative license including the production of other materials unless limited to film and screen adaptations with the writer retaining all rights over books and the world they created.  It all comes down to the contracts.  It basically grants them the rights to use all characters, ideas, plot lines, to edit change and create as they please.   

RJ left too many detailed notes where someone couldn't fill in between his broad strokes of the outriggers.  Too many hints we already have of Thom's past even, enough that it could stand alone in a volume recounting his early days.  "The Travels of J. Farstrider" isn't far-fetched either.  Or add in a collection of short stories bound into a novel detailing exploits of famous blademasters and heroes of the horn.  There are certainly possibilities.  

I will close with the reminder that for those of you who insist the world is done, you need not read, watch, or experience anything further and you may be content.  For those that want more it will come down to supply and demand.  I am content currently yet hopeful to see movies produced and eventually it would be nice to glean some short stories and more background in what I think would be respectfully appropriate additions to materials in print such as Jain Farstrider and a bound collection of short stories from HOH's.

I think there is more than enough material in 14 books to produce enough movies to make anyone looking for cash happy.  

I don't think there are details notes on the planned outriggers.  My understanding was that RJ had only left a couple of sentences, plus the setting (Seanchan).  I don't think there would be enough general notes on the Seanchan to fill out the plot, although it might be possible to at least remain true to the Seanchan culture that RJ envisioned.  

The books by BS were at RJ's request. 

RJ left too many detailed notes where someone couldn't fill in between his broad strokes of the outriggers.  Too many hints we already have of Thom's past even, enough that it could stand alone in a volume recounting his early days.  "The Travels of J. Farstrider" isn't far-fetched either.  Or add in a collection of short stories bound into a novel detailing exploits of famous blademasters and heroes of the horn.  There are certainly possibilities.  

You're not getting it. There are no details for future materials, even the notes for AMoL where not anywhere near as detailed as people seem to think. Brandon had to create over 50% of the material from scratch with zero guidance and there is a fair portion of the fandom that were unhappy with the result. The decision has been made already and everyone from Tor to Harriet has said they don't want to risk RJ's legacy with more books that could be subpar.

As for the movie and games well Red Eagle has the rights and they have shown how inept they are. They have pretty much made zero progress. Games and a movie may come, but the books are over and done as they should be.

Ah, but if the movies ever get made and are a big hit the $ will override wishes and something will be produced.  TOR will demand it and and contracts are contracts.  A writer's wish to keep his world to himself and reluctance to share and eccentricities of wiping hard drives dozens of times were personal matters, TOR owns a stake in the WOT universe as does whoever bought the movie rights has creative license to explore such things as graphic novels, games, and ebooks and extra material.  (I can't remember RJ ever saying that an Encyclopedia would follow, AMOL was to be it.)  Another author was already hired to complete what was supposed to be one book which was expanded into three.  So respect for a writers wishes is often only a mere courtesy.  Whosoever owns the rights has full creative license including the production of other materials unless limited to film and screen adaptations with the writer retaining all rights over books and the world they created.  It all comes down to the contracts.  It basically grants them the rights to use all characters, ideas, plot lines, to edit change and create as they please.

Harriet owns the WoT. No more books can be made without her permission. Now, she might be tempted by the siren song of money, but my understanding is that she's already very well off. So, given she doesn't need the money, she has precious little motivation to squander her late husband's legacy in order to get more. So, no more books, besides the encyclopaedia. Tor can demand it all they want, it won't happen and they have no way to make it happen. As for WoT in other media, Red Eagle either hate money, or are just not very good at getting it. Until they lose the rights, nothing of substance is going to happen. And when they lose them, Harriet can decide what rights are sold and thereby limit what can be produced.

Archived