DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY
blank

Why I Love Where I Live

So I'm from Glasgow in Scotland.

I don't know if you guys have heard of it but it seems to have a very polarising opinion in the world at large. People are always raving about how friendly we are but we are also known as an extremely violent, knife crimey kinda place.

As a Glaswegian comedian put it, "you might get stabbed in Glasgow but we're dead friendly so we'll give you directions to the hospital."

Today at work we had a bunch of American tourists in and one lady was trying to pay for her shopping by credit card but the card reader wouldn't accept it and she was getting kind of flustered. 

At the same time there was this horrible man who followed this nice regular customer into our shop and was giving him hassle, saying that he looked at him funny and was demanding an apology.

So my boss was literally saying one second "oh, don't worry about it, it's not a lot - take it for free, welcome to Glasgow!"

Then next being, "WANT TAE GET OUT MY SHOP." The horrible guy then slaps the other in guy in the back of the head and ran out the shop shouting "FREEDOM" my boss followed shouting abuse at him and at the same time giving the tourists directions.

The best part was I heard one American girl lean in close to her friend and excitedly say "it's just like on tv!!!!"  :laugh:  :laugh:

Anyways, this made me have a surge of love for Glasgow. Do you guys love the place you live in? Please share.

Living in the west side of Kent is...

...Err...

...Fine?

Really isn't much to boast about. I mean, we barely get many tourists at all, we aren't the backdrop of many films (The only one I can think of is "Jackboots on Whitehall", but that movie makes the huge mistake of thinking Kent is a part of the Countryside. This could be a joke, but I don't see how it is one many people would understand), despite being very suburban and all. You might as well just call it "That boring place sitting next to London"

Well, I'm a short train ride away from central London, and a few hours car journey from the Seaside, so there's that?

i love my little town. northeastern PA.

it's far away from work so if there's an emergency i'm not it. and i get to drive 2 hours a day with no traffic which is lovely when i'm not sleepy.

we've run out of money for extras so we don't fund things like local police so i can drive as fast as i want, pass illegally, and park anywhere i feel like. it's self limiting and pleasantly anarchic, because the roads, even the paved ones, are seldom repaired.

my neighbors are protective and helpful and only socialize at me if i go outside and i can mostly not do that except when there's gardening, and then i can get them to help so it's almost worth it. kinda sorta. plus they shovel the snow from my deck and driveway all winter and one of them leaves me little snowmen. and he shoots the starlings and squirrels that rip up my attic. won't shoot the woodchucks or bunnies that destroy the veggies, he says they're too cute. but that's OK cause he and everyone else lets their dogs run loose so... that's sorted.

there are many times more trees than people... more deer, more foxes, bobcats... more dogs and cats and hawks and turkeys. almost as many bears but not quite. just as well, i'm not crazy about the bears tbh. they're a bit scary and unpredictable when they're not being absolutely adorable.

we have nice little festivals that draw pleasant local tourism and only a couple of obnoxiously large parades that pull people in from much too far away but they spend money so that's good.

there are just enough rich people so the schools are very good considering, and we get some really cool fireworks displays over the lake cause they like that.

i live next to a "country club," no, not a particularly good one as country clubs go, but good enough so people feel free to drive their golf carts in the road which is always good for a laugh.

we have the best humane society in several states, and a constant supply of kitties and puppies. if you should happen to run out.

the lawnmowers have stopped for the moment and there are a few dozen songbirds singing in the trees by my window. they sing very loudly because of all the lawnmowers... as i'm already awake it's not a bad thing.

it's high enough in the mountains to be cool at night but not so high that you have to adjust the baking time. and the twisty turny roads are fun and terrifying in winter. i pray a lot when i drive.

and real estate has absolutely tanked and will never recover so if i ever feel like it i could buy a house. when this one falls down maybe. we'll see.

other stuff but that's what comes to mind right off the bat.

oh, and the cherry trees and peach trees and all are blossoming very heavy this year and maybe we'll escape the freeze that's been messing up the crops every spring for the lat few years. either way, they're pretty now.

Edited by cindy

Well, I'm a short train ride away from central London, and a few hours car journey from the Seaside, so there's that?

Very inbetween - I like that.

I'd love to be able just to pop into London on my days off. I want to see all the museums but Glasgow is quite far away and London is too big for me to navigate by myself  :laugh:  :laugh:

Cindy!!! You make where you live sound like heaven! It really does sound super perfect and gives me a lovely insight into you as a person, which I love  :happy:

If it wsnt for the tourists, I wuold find wher I live as clos to perfect as cn get in this country. Living in suothwest Ciarraí, close tCorcaigh border, so thres is some old forest about hre, lots of hills, as backend of nowher as can get. The closest real town hs onl couple thosund people, whiel the vilage thats closer has maybe cuople hundred. Lot of peple are farmers, so its seomwhat easy to barter around here for foodstuff yu dont maek yourself. My home is wel-off beatn track; basicaly to get ther, yuo turn off a main way downn a dirt pth that goes uot towrds some othre farms, then so far down, turn offf into th woods and evntualy get to it aftre aruond 30 minuts hiking. I loev it because esentialy can do wahtever I wnt wthout worry of bein watchd, because its not likly someones goin to be passin thruogh. Lot of my famly lives abot the area or ovre in Corcaigh - my fathre and yuongst brothre are only about 9 kms from thre, my aunt is abuot a half hour biking and my sistr an hour, then a varity of cousins closer or further, so its prety easy to seek compny or help from them. Not far north is th Cill airne national forest so tahts a treat to go to, thogh much more toursits. We dont get a hueg amuont, but severl tourists aer several too msny for me and naturaly we get much moer than that, particulrly in spring and summer and fall, peple for the natuer trails and the stone circles and th park or the coast orna cruacha dubha. its prety peacful and closd besides thuogh, and though its a rural area wher peple genraly tend to be moer socil and intrested in each othres busines, evryone knows whose business thy shuoldnt mind, so that makes thngs nicer. I wuold love to live somwhere whre there is more wildrness - somethin more than a 30 miunute walk to civilisation - but I dont get disturbed muchh the way it is now so gues its ok.

Tal, that sounds almost perfect for you!

I don't think you'd like Glasgow too much though  :tongue: I am ver much a city girl, it suits me just fine

Cindy!!! You make where you live sound like heaven! It really does sound super perfect and gives me a lovely insight into you as a person, which I love  :happy:

What she said! I would up and move there tomorrow, if it was by the sea :)

You know, I just don't really get this  :laugh:

I've tried to like nature and the forest and the oceans but I just don't get it. I blame the fact that all the super pretty places in Scotland have midges  :laugh:

Or I can just resign myself to the fact that if I look out the window I expect to see giant tall buildings to make me feel at home  :happy:

I can't do big cities. There is a mountain range west of here and the moment I go into a big city where I can't get my bearings without those mountains, I seriously start to flip out. Life without a landmark. I've lived a few hours farther north where there are still mountains west of me and I do just fine.

I don't really care for this town as a whole but I do like that I can drive fifteen minutes in any direction and I'm in the countryside. And what a countryside it is. I might post some pictures later.

Edited by Hiarthbeorn

please do...

I'd never have predicted that I wouldn't return to the city from college, but... I can't imagine my life spent that way now.

I do remember that I thought differently once.

...Err...

...Fine?

Really isn't much to boast about. I mean, we barely get many tourists at all, we aren't the backdrop of many films (The only one I can think of is "Jackboots on Whitehall", but that movie makes the huge mistake of thinking Kent is a part of the Countryside. This could be a joke, but I don't see how it is one many people would understand), despite being very suburban and all. You might as well just call it "That boring place sitting next to London"

Don't sell it short. I have a friend who desperately wants to go to Kent for.... reasons unknown. I've got no clue, to tell the truth.

I love where I live, I've lived in suburbia all my life! We've got beautiful beaches about an hour away in a couple of directions, and there are beautiful mountians and forests as little as 5 minutes away by car. I often just go wandering around, things are quite clear, I can wander through the mountains in the direction of BB's house, though that's three hours away on foot. You can get up on a mountain just down the road, and see all the way across the city to the ocean. And when I say city, I mean a tiny huddle of rather pathetic skyscrapers, surrounded by kilometres upon kilometres of suburbia. We really have an enormous suburban sprawl. And the futher away you go in any direction, the prettier things get, for the most part. Great big rainforests, and national parks, spectacular mountains and waterfalls and everything. Though you have to drive for that. A couple of hours away is a crater like area that I believe has the oldest rainforest in the world, it's pretty incredible. Went there on a biology camp. I should stop rambling.

...Err...

...Fine?

Don't sell it short. I have a friend who desperately wants to go to Kent for.... reasons unknown. I've got no clue, to tell the truth.

I love where I live, I've lived in suburbia all my life! We've got beautiful beaches about an hour away in a couple of directions, and there are beautiful mountians and forests as little as 5 minutes away by car. I often just go wandering around, things are quite clear, I can wander through the mountains in the direction of BB's house, though that's three hours away on foot. You can get up on a mountain just down the road, and see all the way across the city to the ocean. And when I say city, I mean a tiny huddle of rather pathetic skyscrapers, surrounded by kilometres upon kilometres of suburbia. We really have an enormous suburban sprawl. And the futher away you go in any direction, the prettier things get, for the most part. Great big rainforests, and national parks, spectacular mountains and waterfalls and everything. Though you have to drive for that. A couple of hours away is a crater like area that I believe has the oldest rainforest in the world, it's pretty incredible. Went there on a biology camp. I should stop rambling.

no, don't stop... that sounds really nice.

i cant really say i love where i live because i dont, i dont exactly hate it but considering i moved here and left my childhood home and friends to move to a small city with nothing, i mean i went from big city to a small town which sucked and i hated this place for years but over time i just accepted the fact and started to make friends and what not, i dont hate the little town im in but id still love to move back to city anytime, but i think ill miss this place.....

im weird arent i 

Hiarth, your pictures are amazing, thanks for sharing them with us! Is that really where you live? It might just be the type of photographer that you are but it all looked a place from a sleepy town movie set. Awesome.

Starrik - where you live sounds beautiful, a blending of nature and cities in the best way.

Chuckles - I can relate. Part of way I love my home city so much is a lot to do with the memories and the people who live here. So, you've made new memories in your quiet town, so it's only natural you'd miss it.

So far we've got people who love cities, suburbia, the countryside and complete isolation. Curiouser and curiouser that we are all here and are such good friends  :tongue:

eh.....id get seasick........

now that ive napped and no longer depressed on how bad i did in my exam, let me talk about the good things....

everything is really close to here, we're sorta like the midway point, dubai is an hour and a half and my relatives like 3 hours away in muscat, in the town itself, i can go play a game of billiards have dinner and watch a match all within walking distance of my house

(then again sometimes me and a friend spend hours walking around and most people would die in the heat,)

the town is fairly quiet, traffic is pretty much nonexistent, drivers sorta bad, anyone can drive and most likely not get caught, kids smoke in street corners, usual life, the people are very nice and welcoming, and my neighbourhood is one of those extremely polite ones, i mean you say hi to anyone you pass, even random strangers and there's no interfering with anyone's life, your free to do as you wish...

(ofcourse having a bunch of police officers living here does help :P)

I love love love Calgary!!

It's a big city (over a million people) with a small town attitude.  You go walking and people will say hi when you pass, ask how you're doing, etc.  Most people are super friendly. 

We have mountains about an hour away and they're part of our skyline.  When I lived in the US for a year, I missed them incredibly.

Then there's the Stampede... a week full of free stampede breakfasts downtown and lots of fun to be had by all.

Love my city.

Just looked up the Stampede, looks amazing!

I wish we had something like that here.