DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Monthly Discussion: Fantasy Abilities

Hi All!

Isaboe here. I've been given permission to bring you all a topic this month for discussion. This topic is something that has fascinated me for longer than I've been reading fantasy...

I'd like to discuss the abilities that fantasy writers use in their stories.  Almost every fantasy book has something, call it what they will.  Wheel of Time has channelling, Mistborn has metallurgy, Codex Alera has furies. Some of these abilities or talents are rare and others are commonplace.  The one constant is that it is something that we in real life do not have. But....

what if we did??? What ability would you want to have and what would you do with it?

To start things off, I'll tell you that I would love to be able to channel...the things I could do with that!  Healing would be the thing that I would most like to be able to do. Some of the abilites the other Aes Sedai have would be neat to have, but to be able to heal on the scale that the yellows can would be awesome.

I look forward to  your input and hope to learn a bit more of some of the other fantasy abilities that I've not read about as yet.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm with you, Isaboe, I'd want healing and to be battle ready. I'd love to be able to channel.

As much as I would love to channel, I don't think I could handle saidin.  So I guess I would have to go with the Will and the word.

I think I would like to heal, but what I'd really love is to make gateways. I don't know that I could do much of anything with metallurgy, but I'm only 85 pages into the first Mistborn book.

And I've never read Codex Alera.

What is the Will and the word?  Is that from another fantasy series?

From The Belgariad

What is the Will and the word?  Is that from another fantasy series?

From The Belgariad

Haven't read that one either.

I want a timelord's power or rather a TARDIS' power over time and space. not magical but fantastic.

of WoT powers I've always been fondest of the small and great weather workings, though I can't see how anything but listening to the wind would fail to create mayhem.

gateways would be good but I'd use them to transport goods more than ppl I think. very practical.

the enhanced telepathy in the pern series, also not magical but fantastic, that allows communication with dragons would be good. I want a dragon :(.

not crazy about big magics, I'd go mad with power and so would anyone who had it, can't see that ending well. like being able to print all the money you want, it would in the best case become devalued.

right now I'd like the power to get the starlings out of my attic. is there a thing for that?

telekinesis is what you're looking for cindy...

id love making gateways and maybe telepathy 

no, the dragons use something like telekinesis, I'm talking about the dragon human bond. I could care less for the between thing or the flying tbh. it's the mind meld I like.

the full knowledge of another mind and acceptance kinda thing.

very fantastic.

Edited by cindy

That reminds me Cindy, of the mindlinks with Ghatti's, who are catlike beings who can speak telepathically to each other and to one human who they are linked with. The ghatti are able to tell whether humans are telling the truth or not and are used as such. The series is the Ghatti Tales by Gayle Greeno. I think of those ghatti every time there's a cat staring at me...

Oooh excellent topic.

I don't even know, I want all the magic!

Does X-Men powers count? I'm not a big fan of hers but Jean Grey had some amazing powers.

I will of course change my mind shortly  :laugh:

I want the ability Crowley fom good omens has to turn any cassette into bohemian rhapsody... but... with a bigger playlist.

sticking with gaiman I like the half ghost abilities bod has before he turns 15 in the graveyard book... the near invisibility, the ability to interact with the dead, control dreams. good good book. needs a sequel. won't get one.

I would love to be able to channel, (healing and gateways mostly) but I would also ADORE the ability of using the Will and the word. 

I think they're making a book out of it though Cindy. I love Neil Gaiman!

If I were to have any ability, it would be from Animorphs, being able to change into animal you have the DNA from. In other words, you gotta touch the animal to get it's DNA so that you can become a "copy" of it. So you can't be any animal in the world.

That would be awesome Misheru Sedai!  My boys had most of the Animorph books, but I never read any of them.

As far as bad abilities, I was actually going to go into that a bit later in the discussion, got to leave you all a few surprises to keep you going. That being said, I always thought the silver surfer was a bit....messy.  All that ice left behind that melts could be very inconvenient.

If it were to be a superhero power, I always wanted the Green Lantern power ring. I wish GL had gotten a better movie version than he did.

I agree with you Basel, they left the ending wide open for another movie.  Wonder if they decided not to after the way the first one did at the box office. It could have been a great movie...but it just wasn't.

channeling would be nice, healing a must and traveling very useful too!!!  I think I might like the metallurgy as well, does a magic Harry Potter wand count? cause I would love to have one of those, not to mention the knowledge base that Hermione has would be awesome!!!

How could I have forgot about Harry Potter???

Scratch previous X-Men wish - I wanna be a wizard!

the book terangreal... need this. right now.

I could find some use for headology... I like the discworld magic systems, they sorta kinda make real world sense.