DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Why Verin is the best character of all

From her first appearance in TGH, Verin Sedai was my favorite Aes Sedai, and soon enough she became my favorite character. She always suggested depths without that bullying quality that marred so many other Aes Sedai, was always mysterious and yet had a surface which was the epitome of a Brown. During the course of the series, hints that she might be Black kept me intrigued, but I never had a strong opinion one way or another--although I felt that her personality was all wrong for the Black.

And then (was it in TGS or TOM? don't recall right now) came her final hour of life, confirming, for me, that she was the most intriguing person Jordan ever conceived. I was absolutely blown away and it felt absolutely right. Here was the perfect blend of courage and curiousity, of intelligence and integrity: the Darkfriend who wasn't a Darkfriend; the Black who subverted and studied the Black from within. I cried for her as for no one else in this story (not that many people asked for or deserved our tears). Looking back, I wish her character had been given ten times as much storytime, but I'm grateful for all that we got.

There anyone else out there who shares my passion for the Little Plump Dark Brown Who Could?

I'm a big Verin fan too, and I think you've given a very nice analysis of her character, especially the fact that she lacked the bullying way of other AS, a trait which seems common to the Brown Ajah, but was special in Verin because she did actually go out into the world and get involved with people while still never being condescending (not as much as other AS anyway). 

I actually think her plot would have been spoiled by giving it more time in the limelight.  It made it more mysterious, and added to the sense of her working away in the background at something important.

I agree with Rhienne that she almost had the perfect amount of spotlight. A part of me wishes she had more but she fit the "supporting" charcter role better than any character ever has. I also wish I knew all of the letters!

Archived