DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Trip to White Tower (attn Leala)

Panchi

Pankhuri entered the city of Tar Valon. The first sight left her stunned. As an Andoran she had thought that Caemlyn was the greatest city but even that could not prepare her for the sight of Tar Valon. The city was too beautiful to be true. It looked more like a painting than a city. The buildings were in beautiful shapes and it did not seem possible that anyone could build them. The Ogiers had made Tar Valon the most beautiful city in the world. Her eyes went to the horizon where the White Tower stood above the city.

My destination, she thought with a smile on her lips.

"The first sight leaves you stunned, doesn't it? But then so does the tenth sight," Urun Tensen said, guiding the horses.

Urun was a son of the merchant, Tarun Tensen, who lived near their farm. Tarun was a friend of her father but was now too old to move from place to place and Urun now looked after his work. Urun had been coming to Tar Valon and had volunteered to bring her to the city. The Aes Sedai who had tested her had to go to other places and could not bring her to Tar Valon herself.

"Let's go to some inn and stable the horses then I can go to the White Tower," Pankhuri said.

"I am surprised that you aren't running already to the White Tower the way you have talking about it for the whole journey." There was a hint of amusement in Urun's voice. Pankhuri blushed.

Urun took her to an inn "The Amyrlin's Blessing". He stabled the horses and entered the inn. He was talking with the innkeeper at the time Pankhuri left her to go the White Tower.

She found her way to the White Tower without much difficulty. Once she reached there she saw a servant and stopped her. She explained to the servant that she had come to be a novice and had been tested. She had been told to meet the Mistress of novices once she reached the White Tower. The servant gave her directions to the Mistress of Novice's offce.

Pankhuri followed the directions and reached the door to the office. She was bit nervous and tucked her red-gold hair behind her ears but her bright blue eyes kept darting here and there nervously. A little afraid, she knocked.

Valeri filed papers away.  It seemed such a big part of her job was filing papers and keeping records.  But she truly enjoyed her role as Mistress of Novices, so she didn't complain.  She walked over to a small table behind her desk and warmed the tea there.  She liked to keep a pot ready just in case someone stopped by.  Be they Accepted, novice, or perspective initiate, when she didn't have papers to file, it was likely someone would be at her door.  She smiled when she heard the timid knock on the door.

She sat down at her desk and wove a thread of Air to open the door.  A girl Andoran by guessing, with that red gold hair and those blue eyes, stood there.  "Come, child, sit," she said, gesturing to a chair in front of her desk.  "I am Valeri Sedai, the Mistress of Novices.  Welcome to the White Tower.  What do you call yourself, child?"

The door suddenly opened and startled Pankhuri. She saw that there was an Aes Sedai, Mistress of Novices, sitting in her chair. Mistress of Novices gestured to the chair in front of her desk. Pankhuri noticed that there was a stack of files on her desk.

"I am...I am Pankhuri Xena, Valeri Aes Sedai" her voice was barely more than whisper. Her hand almost went to her mouth to bite nails but she stopped it at the last moment. Light but it was difficult to talk to an Aes Sedai, Mistress of Novices none the less, at the White Tower. 

"There was an Aes Sedai in the village near to our farm in Andor. I had asked to be tested and she said that I could learn to channel. She could not accompany me herself but she directed me to meet the Mistress of Novices when I reach the White Tower." She realized that in her nervousness she was speaking fast. She hoped that the Aes Sedai understood what she said. "I want...I want to be a novice, Valeri Sedai. I know the studies are tough but I am ready to work hard."

Every word she had spoken was true. She really wanted to become an Aes Sedai. The day that Aes Sedai had said she could learn to channel had been one of the happiest days of her life. She took a deep breath and waited for Valeri Sedai to say something. She hoped that she would not be turned away, not after coming all the way to here.

Valeri nodded politely as she listened to Pankhuri's tale.  She seemed very polite, but very shy, like so many other novices on their first meeting with her.  "It is good to know you, Pankhuri.  It is also good to know you have already been tested for the ability to channel.  Before I continue, I must tell you that life as a novice is going to be difficult, not just the studies.  Novices must learn discipline as well as the knowledge offered to them.  Your days will be filled with chores and errands given to you by either Accepted or Aes Sedai.  If you break any of the rules you learn, you will be sent to me for punishment.  I am not just here to dispense punishments, however.  I am here as your mentor and your councilor, should you come across any problem.  The road to the shawl is a difficult and long one, but not an impossible one."

She stood for a moment and readied to cups of tea, giving one to the girl sitting across from her.  Valeri didn't say it, but warm tea tended to calm one's nerves.  "Are you truly ready to take this road?"

• 3 weeks later...

Pankhuri thought about what the Mistress of Novices had said. She had come this far but was she willing to spend the years in hard study? The road was hard and full of difficulties. As Valeri Sedai kept speaking, she began to have an idea of how her days would be. Was she willing to make the effort? Could she survive the life in the Tower? Could she cope with all of the studies and chores? Could she meet the White Tower's standard? Or would the life be too hard?There were all doubts but in her heart she knew the truth. She had come this far to take the path of Aes Sedai and she won't turn back at the last moment. As Aes Sedai said that the road may be difficult but not impossible. With determination and hard work she could travel that road.

She took the tea offered to her and took a small sip. Then she took a deep breath. She was feeling more calm now. Tea always seemed to calm the nerves. She thought about the path for another moment. If there had been any doubt in her mind, it was cleared now. She wanted to be Aes Sedai. Nothing can change her mind about that now. She made her decision. She was ready to bear all the hardships which may come in her way.

"I want to travel the road of an Aes Sedai, Valeri Sedai. I am ready to bear all hardships which may come and give my best. I will try my best to be worthy of the White Tower."

• 3 weeks later...

Valeri smiled and nodded as Pankhuri gave her her true determination to take this path.  "Very good, child," she said.  With that, she stood from her chair and retrieved the large Book of Novices.  The book was ages old, but still pristine, thanks to weaves from the Browns, and it was enormous, but Valeri was so used to hefting it, that she could still pull it down without much effort.  Sitting back down in her chair, she flipped through the pages until she found the newest blank slot.  "This book contains the names of every novice ever entered into the White Tower.  To completely become an initiate of the White Tower, I'll need your full name, age, and place of birth," she explained.  Valeri smiled as she dipped her pen into the ink and waited for Pankhuri's response.

• 5 months later...

Pankhuri watched the pen Valeri Sedai's hand. Her lips trembled slightly as she started to speak. She could feel a knot of worry in her throat. The Mistress of Novice's smile reassured her somewhat but she was too nervous. Hopefully, all would go well. Her words were but a murmur.

"Name," she whispered softly. She was too nervous to speak loudly. "Pankhuri Xena"

"Age," another whisper just loud enough to be heard "14". She felt so little among the Aes Sedai but then she thought that she was a kid here. Among the old and wise Aes Sedai, she would stay a kid for years.

"Place of birth," she tried to increase her voice but failed "Ritalr in Andor". She wondered if anyone would know of the name. The village was a small place.

After having given all entries, she kept staring at the pen in Valeri Sedai's hand.

She was filled with a new excitement, the beginning of something new. She wondered how much her life would change. She wondered how much she would change. She hoped the change would be for better. She prepared herself, mentally leaving her old life behind. She was now a novice of the White Tower. The thought filled her with pride. She was determined to be Aes Sedai. She hoped she would be able to help others, after all it was the motivation behind her wanting to be Aes Sedai.

She had given her entries. She would now become an initiate of the White Tower. The beginning of a new life at the Tower and the end of her old.

Edited by Panchi

• 4 weeks later...

Valeri recorded Pankhuri's name, age, and place of birth.  She put her quill up and gave Pankhuri a smile.  "Welcome to the White Tower, novice Pankhuri."  With that, she closed the Book of Novices and stood up.  She replaced the ancient tome, and opened a cabinet.  She looked until she found a set of novice whites that looked like they would fit the new novice.  She sat the set of clothes on the desk and resumed her introduction to the Tower.

"These are your novice whites," she said.  "There is a dress, a pair of stockings, a shift, a belt, a pouch...everything you might need, all in white.  When I see you, I expect them to be clean and without stain or wrinkles.  If these do not fit, you will be permitted to go to the Tower seamstresses to ask for alterations.  I will call for someone to show you around the Tower, then to show you to your room.  When you enter your room, you will change into your novice whites, and return your dress to me.  All your belongings will stay in my office in a safe place until the day you are raised to the shawl.  Do you have any questions?"