DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

How do you organize your books?

I guess mine are separated by genre, now that I stop to think about it. Except for the shelf where the Harry Potter series sits next to my magical reference books. 

I do mine by author and then within each author by title unless it's a series. If it's a series then I alphabetize if by series within the author and within the series I do it in series order.

by author then by title you say

by title do you mean alphabetically or by release date?

I just try to make sure books of the same series are together and in order, other than that it's a free for all. XD

Ok, whenever I move house (which has been once a year since I can remember) I re-organise things. I have now officially run out of space. :/

Either way, the most recent system was supposed to be roughly by genre. The series were grouped correctlyish and then I had a shelf for classics, a shelf for non-ficiton and music-related books, a shelf for WoT XD and then...the rest of them...That not very ordered system fell into decay as soon as I started lending out my books and reading them and then just placing them back on top of the pile on the shelf which has now gotten ridiculously high due to lack of space.

My ideal system would be Genre, Alphabetical by Author with Series grouped together in Series order. But that would mean having proper shelving and patience to sort and keep the kids away. And using that system I'd have to get more books <.< I'm missing some books in series and only the fact that my shelves are relatively jumbled/not in my ideal set up is keeping me from going made about not having them.

My ideal system would be Genre, Alphabetical by Author with Series grouped together in Series order. 

This sounds positively delightful

I work in a bookstore. Therefore I cannot make myself sort my books anyways but by author. Within author I then sort by series in chronological series order with any standalones placed alphabetically by title around the series. (Ex, Elantris, Mistborn Trilogy, Stormlight Archives, Warbreaker) Oversized books and books with no listed author have their own shelf all sorted by titles.

But currently I'm out of shelf and have stacks in front of my shelves of all my new additions