DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

How do you organize your books?

I saw this link, about 'nine ways to organize your books', on Facebook today and it got me wondering. And when I start wondering books, I start thinking of the Browns. 

So, how do you organize your books?

The options they have are better explained in the link, but the quick list is, Alphabetical (Author or Title), Genre, Colour, Colour: Advanced Option #1, Colour: Advanced Option #2:, Chronological, Autobiographical, The Combo and/or Stacks.

Do you use one of the above or do you have your own method? I know of at least one person (the one who I saw posting this on FB) who organizes by read and unread. 

Mine are separated by hard cover and paperback, then by size. Tallest to shortest, left to right. Makes it look like a sloping grade downwards. Only difficulty arises when books in the same series come in different heights, then it seriously messes with my OCD.

I use that method too Ishy, but I try to keep series together. So if I have a series with different size books, or some in hard cover and some in paperback I remove them from the pack of main books and give them their own shelf and put the books in order of the series.

Yeah, the series have to all stay together, which is why it bothers me when books in the same series are different sized. It drives me crazy. It's like nails on a chalkboard for me.

Hoep to gods this dont duoble post

Some aer on th oen bookshlve I have, the rest aer stcked from the gurond up in my stoarge room. The oens on the shel aer usuuy the oens I read mos recntly, not my favuorites, so I kick soemting off when i strat a new book tahts need to fit. So rhe the shelf isnt organisd much at all - the stacks thugh are litle orgnised, liek shakespear realted things with each othre, tolkien with each othre, Cycles wth eah other, books abuot othr cultuers myths and legnds near each othre, etc.. I havnt read many sequential books othr tahn encyclopedias so usuly dont thnk much abuot it.

Mos of them thuogh aer prety non-sepcific - liek il haev books on ecolgy stackd with books with epicuren philsophy, so i mosly just memorise wher everythin is and I like to keep it that way. If soemone moves the books thn and I coem in and notice, I get extremly agitated and disorinted until i cn find wher thtey went and put them back as they were. 

all series together, definatly!

generaly have the most frequent reads on the most accessable shelf, with them going to the one beneath if needed. I try to get any large or hardbacks at the end of the shelves, and I hate it if the top of the books looks uneven.

I also like them all standing, I don't like to stack them, but will reluctantly if it's a space issue.

I group series together in chronological order from left to right.  Since most of the series I have are paperback, I don't usually seperate them, except for one book each in WoT and the Sword of Truth I have in hardcover.  Hardcovers I don't have very many of, so they go on the top shelf in order of size.  For example, my world encyclopedia is the biggest book I have so it goes first on the left, then the dictionary, then the rest of the hardcovers.  Various smaller non-fiction hardcovers I have go on the bottom shelf in order of size.  Oh, and I organize by F/NF from top to bottom.

well I have different bookshelves for different genres... and then I go in alphabetical order by the author's last name by series and if they have books that aren't in a series, then I order them in publication dates... and if I can't find the publication date, then I use alphabetical order by title... it's very complicated lol

I sort mine by genre, and then size... and try to keep series lumped together, and authors together..so they may not be alphabetical, but they're "together".. I also keep the ones I read most often at eye level so I don't have to reach up or down for them (I'm lazy).

Sadly, my hardcovers do not fit in the upper shelves, so they're seperated on the bottom :(

My goal: separated by hard cover and paperback, fiction and non fiction. 

Right now: It's a mess. :sad:  

I don't even bother organizing my books, aside from keeping hardcovers and trade paperbacks on their own shelf. Otherwise, I find an open spot and stick the latest book in there.

Sort of by genre, sort of by how much I like them, and sort of by what I use them for. Fiction books that I have to read for a literature class live on a different shelf than the books I read for fun, and the books for that class I actually sort by read and unread :P 

Strictly alphabetical by author and then arrange by series/publication date. The series all sit together regardless of publication date but if there are stand alone books they will just be in publication order. I get really annoyed if I find out I accidentely put a book back in the wrong place *notcrazy!*  :laugh:

I have loads of books though so the bottom shelves are reserved for new books that I haven't got round to alphabetising yet cause it takes me about an hour to shift all the books about  :happy:

Topically, not just by overarching subject but by region or era.  (my History books are divided by region, for example: Europe, US, South America, Africia/Asia (smaller section, kept together).

My US book are divided into "60s" "revolution era."

I don't really have a system per se. I place the books where they suit the bookshelf, and my favourite books are more prominently featured. I just got new bookshelves, and I can't really fit all my books into those either, lol. In a couple of shelves I have two rows behind each other.

I'm going to have to do something about my bookshelves because with my binders (of my ancestors and monarchs of Britain, France, Spain, Portugal, Holy Roman Empire, etc.) and my books, I have only 2 more spaces left for books.... but because my room is so small I don't think I have room for another bookshelf... should I put some of the stuff that block the higher shelves away or ask my mom to completely redo my room so I have room??? (that will be very hard to do)

Could you perhaps put up single shelves on the walls Time? Not big bookcases on the floor, but single shelves hung on the wall.

You're welcome :happy: I had that in my room when I lived with my mom, because on the floor it was only room for one tiny bookshelf, and it was high under the ceiling. So I had lots of wall shelves.

it'll be short but I think it'll work... hopefully the ceiling pipes won't get in the way... I used to use boxes... did you ever use boxes when your shelves got too full??

Umm... well, I have three bookshelves (I need more...) so I start with series and genre and they get put where they fit. Then I have a shelf for things I haven't read, yet and stacks of books all over the place for things I need to read at various times. 

No one else understands my system, but I can put my hands on any book I own... just ask! ;) 

Mine are separated by hard cover and paperback, then by size. Tallest to shortest, left to right. Makes it look like a sloping grade downwards. Only difficulty arises when books in the same series come in different heights, then it seriously messes with my OCD.

This. So much this. I keep all of one author's books together, by series. If they are all stand alone novels, then by publication date. However, it's getting to the point where I have so many books I have to put them where ever there is room.