DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY
JenniferL

In The Beginning: "The Eye of the World"

4. How long did Rand train with Lan exactly? Its just that he defeated a Seanchan blademaster, and he only picked up a sword for the first time a few months before, so that must have been some training regimen...

Just on this point, it's important to realize that blademasters are not all equal. Rand had natural talent, and more importantly, was trained by Lan.

Even in the Eye of the World, when Rand barely knew how to use a sword, Gareth Bryne, a blademaster himself, remarked that the heron-marked sword belonged with Rand.

A friend had mentioned this book to me a couple of years ago. Last year I had went on vacation on the Outer Banks. Decided to pick up the Eye of the World from my local library and take it with me. Started reading it on August 13th 2016 and ended up finishing the entire series on July 11th 2017.

It was a fantastic journey (not without its faults of course) that kept me hooked the entire way. It had everything I wanted in a story and more.

I first read "The Eye of the World" in high school, on the recommendation of a friend. Actually had a hard time getting into it at first, but that was mainly due to how little I was reading at a time it was in between classes. When he insisted that I actually read it when I have time to read instead of a couple minutes at a time here in there as I usually did books, I found that I really enjoyed it. I regret my paperback copy so many times that it literally fell apart.

I actually just recently finished reading the book again, having purchased a leather bound Edition from Barnes & Noble, and it's funny how I still see little things and pick up on them that I didn't in previous readings. The foreshadowing that he does with his character developments in that book is amazing!

On 10/31/2017 at 6:45 AM, solarz said:

Just on this point, it's important to realize that blademasters are not all equal. Rand had natural talent, and more importantly, was trained by Lan.

Even in the Eye of the World, when Rand barely knew how to use a sword, Gareth Bryne, a blademaster himself, remarked that the heron-marked sword belonged with Rand.

It's not entirely clear to me how spoiler friendly these threads on earlier novels are. Suffice to say that I think it is reasonable to believe that Rand's skill with the sword at this time is not at the usual level of a young country lad first into the world, irrespective of any training by Lan or others.

Even later in the series... Eye of the World still has a unique charm to me honestly....

That is to say I don't forget about it while going deeper in...

I haven't really figured out which books I like the order or something....

But essentially I would definitely feel like something was missing if they weren't all accounted for on some level

in that accounting...

And eye of the world would definitely be in that category I think... that category of....

Basically If someone asked me to pick the best book in the series and lets say book 4

feels closer to the spirit of 1 then I would feel a bit weird going too far ahead to like book 5 as the best because I would want to be close to the first book and the tone of later books....

Uniqueness is great... can be anyway.... and I most certainly re-read Eye of the World a few times

I think in various forms...

Edited by CrystallineTart

On 10/30/2017 at 12:45 PM, solarz said:

Everyone in WoT is basically a decent/talented swordsman I think is the idea... capable of defending themselves...

The series then makes clear there's a few who are exceptional... but basically Lan and Rand in the beginning are

both very skilled although I think the point is at the very beginning of the book Rand and so on takes awhile to

maybe get there... some practice.