DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

We dont actually confirm belas death, she takes an arrow and goes down... I think Tam finds her while searching Merrilor for survivors. I guess Brandon just forgot to mention it...

I like your idea.  I think I will chose to think that instead of her dying.  Or maybe she'll become a hero of the horn.

It was actually the saddest death in the book.... Was actually thinking about Bela and how she's one of the great heroes of the book... Then she just dies :-(

I thought it would have been awesome if when Rand went to steal a horse at the end he saw Bela there he  took her instead

I was hoping that too.  It would have added a bit of extra nostalgia to the ending, I think.  At least we know that Bela wasn't killed by balefire or in TAR so her spirit will come back (I assume horses spirits are 'recycled' like wolves?).

Readers have more feelings for Bela than Rand or Tam, even Egwene just tosses her aside when it becomes convenient. If Tam found her on the battlefield he wouldn't recognize her because there is no way he would be expecting his horse that was stolen years ago to be there.

I didn't really see the point of killing Bela.  She's not a 'serious' character, more of a token of the Two Rivers throughout the story, and I would have preferred, like many others, to have Rand ride off into the sunset on her.  I think her death became lost in all the other drama going around at the time - Faile sacrificing herself to distract the trollocs from Olver and the horn, Olver blowing the horn, his rescue by Noal.  We didn't need anymore drama in that scene.

What I don't understand is why Bela didn't come back when the Horn was blown.

She did. It just wasn't onscreen. She was going to help Noal rescue Olver, but first she decided to stomp the Trollocs who killed her into a bloody mudhole. By the time she got there, Sanderson was writing about something else.

At least, that's what I think.

Bela came back as one of the multitude of horses being ridden by the Heros of the Horn.

Since she's a horse, we don't get her viewpoint because it would go something like this, "grass, grass, grass, carrot, grass, walking, more walking, grass, grass, carrot, who's this guy?, carrot, carrot, grass, scary thing, more scary things, grass, carrot, grass, HOLY SHIZ RUN RUN RUN RUN, rest, mist, mist, mist, grass, grass, grass"

Archived