DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Reunions

NitroS

Since we didnt get a reunion on screen anybody want to try and make a fan fiction version of their reunion. I would try but my grammar and writing are pretty bad. Id imagine Siuan would drop all Aes Sedai serenity and start running if she saw Moiraine. (Interesting that in New Spring siuan was the more calm one in control and now it seems like its Moiraine).

I'm already in the middle of writing one, will post it when possible. I've tried to fit it in a good location, but the timelines being confusing, such a time may not exist. Basically, I've taken the time Moiraine turns away in a huff when Cadsuane reaches Rand first, and imagined that she goes away to meet Siuan, as she feels she might as well do something productive.

Siuan, meanwhile, is just on her way back from taking her turn at the frontlines against the Trollocs (using Vora's Wand), and is pretty exhausted but pleased her lack of strength hasn't reduced her contribution to nothing. 

Sorry to disappoint, but DM has a policy which does not allow fan-fic to be posted or promoted. DM has worked closely with RJ and TJ, who did not like fan-fic. Because of the relationship, DM has also adopted this out of respect for RJ and TJ. 

Let's keep this topic to reunions, and what you think/would have liked to happen. 

This has been debated many times in the past, and feel free to PM your thoughts (while you can PM myself, only Jason and Jenniferl can decide to change it) however, it is very unlikely that this policy will be removed. 

Until you have conversed with whoever you choose via PM, the policy will remain active for this thread - please do not debate this policy in thread, it will be removed - as will any fan-fic or promotion of it. 

Repeat offences may result in further action. 

Apologies for this, but it has been decided in conjunction with Team Jordan out of respect. 

Ermm what? Not sure how that follows.

RJ was very much against fanfic and having worked with him over the years DM supports his wishes. That doesn't mean you can't write it for your own enjoyment of course.

that is ridiculous., we the readers made jordan's first book profitable. that gave us the right to make fan fiction

Interview: Jul 21st, 2012
LibertyCon 2012 - AMOL Update Panel (Verbatim)
Question
[something about the prequels and fanfiction]

Jennifer Liang
Fan fiction has never really taken off in the Wheel of Time fandom. Partly the reason for that is because Robert Jordan did not like fanfic—he didn't like other people playing in his sandbox—and so when me and Jason became aware that he didn't like fanfic, we pretty much killed it on Dragonmount, and because we killed it on Dragonmount, that meant everybody else killed it too, because people pretty much follow our lead, so there's never really been a lot of fanfic in the Wheel of Time. There is some out there—if you look around you can find some like on fanfic.net—but it's never really taken off for whatever reason. And I think it's partly because we killed it very quickly, but I think it's also partly because a lot of what is special about the Wheel of Time is the unique voice of Robert Jordan, and for the most part other people writing in that universe, it's crap. Even if they're a really good writer, it's...[brandon] is really the only person I like writing in the Wheel of Time universe other than Jim, so...I think that's another reason why it doesn't take off, because it's pretty obvious it's not Robert Jordan.

Brandon Sanderson
Right, the Wheel of Time is about Robert Jordan's voice in a lot of ways, and the reason we're all still reading this is because we like that voice. And there are books that are slower than other books, and those of us who just love his voice, love those books.

Jennifer Liang
It doesn't matter, I really like Crossroads of Twilight. I'm sorry!

Brandon Sanderson
Yes, because that's what we're reading the books for. I mean, of course it's the characters also, but time with Jim and the characters is what these books are about, and as much as we like the epic battles and things, at their core it's Jim and the characters.

Jennifer Liang
Yeah, and it's his prose, and it's his writing style, and just the way he presents everything. And so, fanfic can't capture that.

Joe O'Hara
I think there's a real loyalty to him as an author as well when you find out, as a fan, that he doesn't like that kind of fanfiction, then you don't even feel inclined to do it.

Brandon Sanderson
He was very—I mean, if you guys read the interviews—it was only like the last minutes that he changed his mind on even having the series finished by someone else. For years, he was gonna...what was it, burn his hard drives, and things like that...

Jennifer Liang
...and salt the earth, yeah...

Brandon Sanderson
Yeah. There was going to be no ending. It was only like the last month or two that he said, "No, go ahead and find somebody and have it finished." So, yeah.

Joe O'Hara
We're all really glad that he said that.

Brandon Sanderson
Yeah, you almost didn't have this.

Audience
[something about hunting the guy down and taking his kneecaps]

Brandon Sanderson
Yeah.

Jennifer Liang
So, watch out for those kneecaps.

Brandon Sanderson
Okay. If my kneecaps float off mysteriously...

Joe O'Hara
That is mysterious.

Brandon Sanderson
...and you see a shadow with the hat and a cane, and maybe a pipe... (laughter)

I was really hoping for a Siuan - Moiraine reunion after the LB, and it would be a kind of "WE DID IT" meeting. But alas, I could never get that. There was never a meeting between the two at all, and that depressed me to no end.

Did Morgase ever get to have a meeting with Rand after EotW? I would have liked to have seen that. And did Rand tell Tam about Aviendha and Elayne? I would have liked to have seen that too. Mat seeing his family again (especially Bode) would have been amusing too.

There were a lot of reunions I would have liked to see in AMoL.  Probably the top three would be:

- Moiraine and Lan

- Moiraine and Siuan

- Rand, Mat, Perrin, Egwene, and Nynaeve, i.e. the original Emond's Field group.  I would have loved a 'see how far we've come moment'.

Other ones I would have liked were to see the wondergirls (Egwene, Elayne, Aviendha, Nynaeve) have a bit of interaction.  They spent a lot of the books travelling together.  Although they bickered I believe they did care for each other a great deal, and it would have been nice to see a little spark of those friendships.

is it against the rules to direct people to a reddit wot for fanfic?

isnt brandon writing his book virtually nothing but fanfic since he went off from the notes so often and done alot of his own things? if RJ changed his idea with someone taking on the series im sure he wouldnt have cared in the end if fans made up scenes that were left out of the book. Are authors normally against this? also if i remember correctly pre aMOL their  was a thread that people wrote a few scenes about what they think was going to happen in aMOL isnt that fan fiction ill try and find it.

Just in case it wasn't clear in my original post, I shall add this. However, in the future, take any questions/issues to PM, as they shall be removed from this thread. 

I don't expect people to stop writing fan-fic, this is not a warning to stop. It would be futile to do so, and only Team Jordan can issue that kind of message. It is also futile to deny that there is fan-fic around. 

However, DM does not allow fan-fic to be posted, promoted, linked, directed to or any other type of promotion of fan-fic out of respect of RJ's and Team Jordan's wishes. 

So yes, that does mean links or directions to any site which has fan-fic. 

While Brandon's work can be considered fan-fic to some, it is fan-fic which Team Jordan has authorised. If anyone manages to get Harriet's or Team Jordan's authorisation on some fan-fic which has been made, then that also will be permitted in DM. 

So continue on with the topic, and PM myself or one of the other staff if you have any further questions or issues. 

Guest Vinnie

the character relationships are what made us fall in love with the WoT. to leave out all of these reunions makes our beloved characters a bunch of names on a page. i was deeply heartbroken when Moiraine died and every time Rand thought about her... to bring her back with so little fanfare after all we waited through... equally heartbreaking.. like she died and came back a zombie. barely any interactions and no reunions or reconcilliations. moiraine was my biggest problem, but also the emonds fielders. how could brandon fail to capture moments similar to EoTW The Queen's Blessing, etc. thi is the type of thing we should have seen throughout the field of merrilor. i dont even care how it ended... i just wanted our beloved heroes' personalities back!

While I was glad for the Moiraine and Rand reunion, I don't think showing it from Perrin's PoV was a good move. I would have loved to know what was going through Rand's mind, but I guess we'll never know...

I also felt that a complete Emond's Fielders reunion would have been amazing. I could just imagine Mat cracking an unacceptable joke or two and being berated for it by Nynaeve as if she was still the Wisdom.

The main reunion that I looked forward to, and that I think should have been included even if it meant twisting the plot around a bit, is a reunion of all three of the Emond's Field ta'veren boys -- Rand, Mat, and Perrin.  I know that we did get them meeting in pairs (Rand & Mat, Rand & Perrin, and Mat & Perrin), but I think the series really isn't properly complete without a final reunion of all three together. 

I hadn't considered some of the other missing reunions until I read this thread, but I agree with many of the points made here, especially these:

I was really hoping for a Siuan - Moiraine reunion after the LB, and it would be a kind of "WE DID IT" meeting. But alas, I could never get that. There was never a meeting between the two at all, and that depressed me to no end.

Did Morgase ever get to have a meeting with Rand after EotW? I would have liked to have seen that. And did Rand tell Tam about Aviendha and Elayne? I would have liked to have seen that too. Mat seeing his family again (especially Bode) would have been amusing too.

There were a lot of reunions I would have liked to see in AMoL.  Probably the top three would be:

- Moiraine and Lan

- Moiraine and Siuan

- Rand, Mat, Perrin, Egwene, and Nynaeve, i.e. the original Emond's Field group.  I would have loved a 'see how far we've come moment'.

Other ones I would have liked were to see the wondergirls (Egwene, Elayne, Aviendha, Nynaeve) have a bit of interaction.  They spent a lot of the books travelling together.  Although they bickered I believe they did care for each other a great deal, and it would have been nice to see a little spark of those friendships.

Archived