DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What will be the new purpose of the Red Ajah?

Dagon Thyne

The Reds have always been solely responsible for hunting down and gentling male channelers.  With Saidin cleansed, their purpose for the last 3 thousand years is gone.  What will they do now?

I believe that the Reds will be turned into the recruitment Ajah, searching for and testing potential novices. 

I think they will deal with rogue channellers, any rogues male or female. Essentially an Aes Sedai Police type of group. The real question is what will the Greens do without shadow spawn to fight.

I actually think the opposite, and that the Green Ajah can take over as a "police Ajah." Reds have too much antipathy built up for male channelers that they can't be trusted to deal with a rogue one fairly.

I think that they could be involved in seeking out new channelers, too.  From the dwindling numbers in the WT, it is definitely a role some AS need to take on.  Or they could be involved in relationships between the channeling groups (the Kin, Windfinders, Wise Ones). 

Well the Red Ajah would really be qualified to do two things. One is like mentioned before, recruitment officers, after all they have allot of experience finding channelers, it is what they have been doing for 3000 years. However I was thinking their new job might actually be establishing relations between male and female channelers, they have sort of already begun in the books with them bonding men from the Black Tower. However think about it, no other Ajah know more about male channeling than the Reds, they have to have allot of experience with it, I doubt many of the men they have taken down over the milennia have gone willingly and peacefully, and also you have the idea of knowing your enemy. So I think the Reds will become experts at linking with men, creating weaves meant to work for both genders and generally work at healing the rift between male and female channelers. I agree that they would do well hunting down rouge channelers, but anyone can really do that job, I think their experience with male channeling make them perfectly suited to be the forerunners in helping male and female channelers learn to cooperate with one another again. I also think that such a task would be a good way to redeem the Red Ajah, I mean we can discuss whatever or not what they have been doing for the past 3000 years was necessary, but even if it was they where often far more brutal about it than they needed to be, becoming more or less ambassadors between male and female channelers and healing the rifts between them would be a fitting way to make up for the past or at least begin to.

I also think that such a task would be a good way to redeem the Red Ajah, I mean we can discuss whatever or not what they have been doing for the past 3000 years was necessary,

Not sure how anyone could argue it wasn't necessary? That is cut and dry pre-cleansing. Further outside the Vileness which was the BA pulling strings we don't really all that much about their brutality. Certainly not enough to say they were "often far more" brutal then they needed to be. The bad apples could have very well been those like Galina. Now granted you would hope one of them over the years would have come up with a method like Cadsuane's but she has stilled more men than any 10 Reds combined so she likely had more practice.

Well the Red Ajah would really be qualified to do two things. One is like mentioned before, recruitment officers, after all they have allot of experience finding channelers, it is what they have been doing for 3000 years. However I was thinking their new job might actually be establishing relations between male and female channelers, they have sort of already begun in the books with them bonding men from the Black Tower. However think about it, no other Ajah know more about male channeling than the Reds, they have to have allot of experience with it, I doubt many of the men they have taken down over the milennia have gone willingly and peacefully, and also you have the idea of knowing your enemy. So I think the Reds will become experts at linking with men, creating weaves meant to work for both genders and generally work at healing the rift between male and female channelers. I agree that they would do well hunting down rouge channelers, but anyone can really do that job, I think their experience with male channeling make them perfectly suited to be the forerunners in helping male and female channelers learn to cooperate with one another again. I also think that such a task would be a good way to redeem the Red Ajah, I mean we can discuss whatever or not what they have been doing for the past 3000 years was necessary, but even if it was they where often far more brutal about it than they needed to be, becoming more or less ambassadors between male and female channelers and healing the rifts between them would be a fitting way to make up for the past or at least begin to.

I agree that this would be a good role for them.  However, I think it might take a few generations for them to come round to this.  They have a reputation for disliking men and hating men who can channel so I'm not sure the current generation of Red Sisters would be willing to take on this role.

Not sure how anyone could argue it wasn't necessary? That is cut and dry

pre-cleansing. Further outside the Vileness which was the BA pulling

strings we don't really all that much about their brutality. Certainly

not enough to say they were "often far more" brutal then they needed to

be. The bad apples could have very well been those like Galina. Now

granted you would hope one of them over the years would have come up

with a method like Cadsuane's but she has stilled more men than any 10

Reds combined so she likely had more practice.

There is very strong indications that yes the Red Ajah are often far more brutal than they need to be, and also with how much they generally hate male channelers it stands to reason that they would not treat them well either, not all off course but quite a few. Also I agree they had to do something, but I still think that offering a quick execution would be far favorable for most than gentling, they could have made it an option so that those than wanted to try to survive could choose gentling and those who would prefer a quick and clean execution could get that instead. Also Cadsuane probably have not severed a soul herself we hope, she have brought men in for it, but she have not done it herself as that would be very illegal.

I agree that this would be a good role for them.  However, I think it

might take a few generations for them to come round to this.  They have

a reputation for disliking men and hating men who can channel so I'm

not sure the current generation of Red Sisters would be willing to take

on this role.

You may be right, but then a fair number of them have begun bonding Black Tower boys so some of them have already begun this role of being go betweens already so I am not sure it would take that make generations for them to put past hatreds behind them, but I could be wrong.

Also Cadsuane probably have not severed a soul herself we hope, she have brought men in for it, but she have not done it herself as that would be very illegal.

Sorry should have made myself clear. She has brought more than any ten Reds back to the WT and worked with them they were stilled. As for the rest it's all speculation. Aside from the vileness we simply don't know.

I think they will deal with rogue channellers, any rogues male or female. Essentially an Aes Sedai Police type of group. The real question is what will the Greens do without shadow spawn to fight.

That would be a step closer to the universal policing of the One Power that Hall of Servants did.  I can see that.  I bet there would be a lot of favoring woman over men in those duties though. 

Not sure how anyone could argue it wasn't necessary? That is cut and dry

pre-cleansing. Further outside the Vileness which was the BA pulling

strings we don't really all that much about their brutality. Certainly

not enough to say they were "often far more" brutal then they needed to

be. The bad apples could have very well been those like Galina. Now

granted you would hope one of them over the years would have come up

with a method like Cadsuane's but she has stilled more men than any 10

Reds combined so she likely had more practice.

There is very strong indications that yes the Red Ajah are often far more brutal than they need to be, and also with how much they generally hate male channelers it stands to reason that they would not treat them well either, not all off course but quite a few. Also I agree they had to do something, but I still think that offering a quick execution would be far favorable for most than gentling, they could have made it an option so that those than wanted to try to survive could choose gentling and those who would prefer a quick and clean execution could get that instead. Also Cadsuane probably have not severed a soul herself we hope, she have brought men in for it, but she have not done it herself as that would be very illegal.

>I agree that this would be a good role for them.  However, I think it

might take a few generations for them to come round to this.  They have

a reputation for disliking men and hating men who can channel so I'm

not sure the current generation of Red Sisters would be willing to take

on this role.

You may be right, but then a fair number of them have begun bonding Black Tower boys so some of them have already begun this role of being go betweens already so I am not sure it would take that make generations for them to put past hatreds behind them, but I could be wrong.

Those bondings aren't exactly examples of good cooperation and working together.  They were done to try to control the Asha'man.  And when the Asha'man respond by bonding Red Sisters back they expect them to obey.

Sorry should have made myself clear. She has brought more than any

ten Reds back to the WT and worked with them they were stilled. As for

the rest it's all speculation. Aside from the vileness we simply don't

know.

Well first off all when you have a group that live for hunting down one sort of person and generally mistrust and hates said group of person then chances are they will be pretty brutal about it. Secondly in New Spring Mo and Siuan is discussing that the Reds are overly brutal towards male channelers and that is before the vileness, third we have a scene where Elyaa warns Perrin to stay away from the Reds as they might mistake him for a channeler and while they can not actually harm him if they decide to bring him in he will get rather rough treatment. Now I am not saying that every Red mistreat the men they capture, but I am saying that we have allot more than speculation that it is rather common that they do.

Those bondings aren't exactly examples of good cooperation and working

together.  They were done to try to control the Asha'man.  And when the

Asha'man respond by bonding Red Sisters back they expect them to obey.

They are not working perfectly together but they at least get to be civil with one another and some of the pairings seam to actually start to appreciate one another after a while so I do think it is a good start.

Archived