DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Favorite Light character

MasterAblar

Who is your favorite character for the Light?  

123 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite character for the Light?

Same as for the favorite bad guy, this is votes only. If you want to debate a character's virtues and flaws take it to the appropriate threads.

Obviously due to the unhealthy amount of characters I couldn't include all of them in the poll, so feel free to point out in the comments who you like best.

Of course Logain is the only right choice to a balanced mind. :cool:

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nynaeve... she has that same "from the country and proud of it but so influenced by the world and the exotic" attitude that I do.  She has flaws... but she's actually growing.  Powerful, and has always used it (and will continue to use it post AMOL) in a useful way.  Mat and Perrin next out of the original group.  Then Moiraine and Verin.  Verin may actually be the coolest character from the series.  Wonder who will be Elayne's advisor now that Nyn has a kingdom of her own to rebuild?

I originally picked "Other" because I thought we were concerned only with AMOL . In that case, I picked Androl because while he was the one character created solely by Mr. Sanderson, he was also the only charete in the last three books who felt like a charater created by Mr. Jordan (Most of the others (Except for Egwewne) felt frequently "off"). Androl felt natural for the reason that he wasn't being copied..imperfectly.

Now, as to my favorite characters, I chose Mat because he was the one character in the entire series who got to exercise the most freedom of choice. He was presented with more choices than anyone else and yet, he consistently, always made the right decision. The one that helped other people. That shows his true character...Which is why I've always resented the way that Egwene and Elayne viewed him in the last three books. The guy raced across more than half od Rndland to save them and they can't give him credit for it. At least Nyneave had an excuse and even she came around. there's no excuse to always treat him as if he's one step ahead of a disaster unless he's guided by them. That flat grated on my nerves.

I also picked Lan..because he's..well, Lan.Like Mat, he constantly denies what he really is and puts up a front that only a few see through. It's fitting that he was the one to take out Demandred because he was the only one to be willing to make the ultimate sacrifice (Not to mention the fact that he proved himslef to be the best swordsman of them all)

As for the women, I picked Nyneave because she was the most conflicted and the most unconventional of the As (Even though she was the most conservative of all the Two Rivers folk.). As Rand said in TOM, she was the best AS because she didn't act like the stereotype..She will be this age's Cadsuane

tud

I voted Nynaeve although I was torn between her, Lan, Mat and Moiraine.  It was a tough choice but I eventually ruled out Mat because I disliked how he was written in the last three books enough that it did spoil his overall story arc for me, and Moiraine because her return was very anticlimatic.  I decided on Nynaeve because I think she had better character development than Lan.  I actually despised her at the beginning of the series, so I think it must take some pretty good writing for her to be one of my favourites by the end of the series.

Rand was also a close contender.

I consider Mat to be the greatest fantasy character I have ever read, and I have read alot of fantasy! So yuh, definetly voted for him.

Hey Dusk, curious as to what some of your other favorite fantasy characters are? Cheers.

Off the top of my head...

Samuel Vimes - Discworld

Lord Mhoram - Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Tyrion Lannister/Davos Seaworth - A Song of Ice and Fire

Fitz - Farseer

Arakasi - Empire Trilogy

Glokta - First Law

Eddie - Dark Tower

@knivy,

let me quote amaseru:"but all the while you forget that every breath you breathe-

every step you take-comes at his forbearance".

actually,we are all here at his sufferance,that's why i gave rand my vote.

nynaeve is my close second,that woman is awesomeness incarnate.

she arrived to the field of merrilor meeting with perrin,and was not afraid

to declare her loyalty to rand in front of egwene and her sitters.

tai'shar nynaeve al'meara.

Honestly, Mat was the one character that always humored me. I associated more strongly with Rand until the end of TGS, but I still feel that Mat was the best written throughout the series.

I might have voted for Rand before that, but I just can't see putting anyone before Mat on this list. He has my vote.

Archived