DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Who wrote what (full spoilers)

BFG

A thread for posting information on who wrote what. 

Try to keep it to confirmed things only (whether through Q & A, twitter...) and provide a quote, this is not another quality discussion thread.

I stumbled across this tweet supposedly from BS, can anyone confirm it? I've seen lots if people say that all RJ left was 200 pages of notes, but what I heard was that it was 200 pages of typed manuscript and more pages of notes than there are pages in the books which seems to support this tweet.

Link: http://www.tweetwood.com/BrandSanderson/tweet/298561017988911104

Here is the breakdown.

Brandon Sanderson (December 2012) Well, okay, this is going to be kind of long.To understand my next step, you have to understand what we mean by "Notes." There are really three groups of these.1) Robert Jordan's Worldbuilding Notes. These were in a series of dozens, maybe hundreds of files embedded chaotically inside of files inside of files, using his own system of notation. The notes reach all the way back to early books he was working on, as he was working on them. They aren't intended to be read by anyone other than him, and are sometimes very difficult to figure out. This is the group that Harriet has said, in her estimation, include a total wordcount equal to or greater to that of the published series.2) The notes for the last book, gathered by his assistants Maria and Alan, with Harriet's help. These are far more focused on the last book, notes that RJ wrote specifically focusing on the last book. This is a much more manageable amount, maybe fifty or a hundred pages. It includes interviews that Alan and Maria did with RJ before he died3) Scenes for the last book, either in written form or dictated during his last months. This includes some completed scenes. (The last sequence in the book, for example. Also a lot of prologue material, including the scene with the farmer in The Gathering Storm, the Borderlander Tower scene in Towers of Midnight, and the Isam prologue scene from A Memory of Light.) A lot of these are fragments of scenes, a paragraph here and there, or a page of material that he expected to be expanded to a full chapter.This is different from #2 to me in that these are direct scene constructions, rather than "notes" explaining what was to happen.Together, #2 and #3 are about 200 pages. That is what I read the night I visited Harriet, and that is what I used to construct my outline.

Archived