DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Ogier (full spoilers)

BFG

While I loved their scenes - very well written - I had a feeling like they were just one squadron in a huge army. Helpful, sure... but would the Last Battle really have been affected if they didn't show up? I was expecting more of an impact from them. Though I guess the criticism about scale and numbers during the Last Battle is something that has been a common theme.

I loved the Ogier scenes in AMOL, but I wish that Brandon would have done a much better job at describing just how many Ogier were fighting. Also, although their scenes were chillingly cool with their war songs, I was hoping that the Ogier would have had a bigger impact in the Last Battle.

After all the lead up (I'm sure I read about an interview from RJ or BS on this board yonks ago) about Ogier being capable of being darkfriends, and that certainly some would have been, we didn't see a single one in AMOL. I was hoping that Covril was one and that that was her reason for debating against Loial at the Great Stump. Maybe BS just ran out of space for that arc and resolved it as he could.

Thoughts anyone?

• 8 months later...

on the note of ogier, i was dissapointed they we did not hear from the Seanchen "Ogier Gardeners" from the deathwatch guard. we saw how ferocious the peacful randland ogiers were, how they dominated the trollocs. i would have been interested then to hear of the warrior trained ogier, the elite company, of the elite deathwatch guards. Also, i would likewise be interested in seeing them meeting the randland ogier, how would the respond to their differing ways? what is the pact between the empress and the ogier in seanchen etc. i would like to hear or no more.

Yeah, I was really hoping to see the Randland Ogier react to the Seanchan Ogier. That could have gotten interesting. When I first read about those fighting Ogier, I was hopiong that seeing them would make the Randland Ogier a little more willing to fight, but we never got to see them meet.

It would have been nice to see a POV from Loial indicating how he felt about them, but I think all we got was the info that the Gardeners were fighting with the rest of the Ogier.  Tbh, all of the Seanchan exotics got pretty short shrift - as far as I recall we only see them at the very end of the battle, and they are used as a 'clean up' force when the trollocs have already broken.  Doesn't seem like the most sensible use of troops.  I have to say though that while a bit more info on the Gardeners would have been nice I'm not surprised it wasn't included.

I loved the Ogier scenes in AMOL, but I wish that Brandon would have done a much better job at describing just how many Ogier were fighting. Also, although their scenes were chillingly cool with their war songs, I was hoping that the Ogier would have had a bigger impact in the Last Battle.

There were many missed opportunities, this was one of them.  It wasn't just the Ogier fighting, but the Seanchan Ogier were fighting alongside them adding their numbers, and they were armored and trained in war.  Brutal, kick-butt scenes that would have had us jumping up and shouting "Yes!" with the fist-pump that would have everyone around us thinking we were destined for a padded room and "happy play."  Fortuona had traveling, and could have raised a larger force from back home from those still loyal.  300k Seanchan vs. 800k could have made it more interesting.  Then again Mat and Tuon return and set things to right in a book that will not see the light of day for decades so the land is more unsettled, and there is the question of the red-sailed ships.

Archived