DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

List of Characters' Fates

Barid Bel Medar

Leopoled, the following is a twitter converson where BS answers that question:

Interview: 2013
Twitter 2013 (WoT) (Verbatim)

Dave West (23 January 2013)    
Is the 'remnant of a remnant' line just meaning that there are only a few Aiel left, or was it something else?

Brandon Sanderson (23 January 2013)    
There is a deeper meaning. But it's philosophical more than anything else.

Brandon Sanderson
It is in reference, in part, to their changing purpose.

Their new rold as a peacekeeping force in the Dragon's Peace is the remnant that is saved. If Avi's vision came true, their complete loss of purpose and honor would be a complete destruction of what it is to be Aiel ("dedicated").

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@erdrick,

you know,after the field of merrilor meeting,i attributed this"remnant of a remnant"

solely to the shaido.

rand exluded the shaido clan from the dragon peace treaty,effectively condemning

them to separation and decline.

on the other hand,all the other clans agreed to become enforcers of peace and mediators

of disputes between nations:

"i warn you,rhuarc,rand said."you will need to change your ways."

"this will mean an end to the aiel."

"a beginning as well" rand said.

in my opinion,the remnant that is "saved" is the shaido clan,the only ones still dedicated

to the obsolete ways of old,and like it or not,the other clans are now part of randland:

"you yourselves insisted on signing the dragon's peace.you yourselves insisted that you

be part of our coalition.'

brandon sanderson said the opposite,but what the hell do i know?

Sutree, you seem to have misinterpeted what I originally posted regarding Olver/ Cain.  As you will recall, we were discussing which character is Cain re-incarnated. Grady's son was mentioned, but was shot down due to the age  situation (too young). I brought up Olver  simply to muse on why he'd be the perfect canidate except for the fact that Mr. Jordan specifically said he wasn't and the age differential is off . Based on what we know of Cain and his relationship with Birgitte, in normal circumstances,  Olver fits the bill very nicely (ugly, short,ten or so years older than Birgitte, Min's viewing, heroic). However, this time around Gaidal is only a couple of years older than Birgitte. He'd have had to have been born some months before Birgitte faced off against Moghidien (Birgitte makes mention of this fact several times), so we have to consider who was born in that time frame. The problem is that I can't recall anyone mentioned as being born in that period. 

Ok, this is heading off-topic.  The thread's meant as a list of names Hunter can ask BS about.  If you have information about a character mentioned then of course feel free to add the info, but perhaps you can take speculation elsewhere?  (All posters can create threads now - see Barids pinned post)

Cheers

Can someone explain to me what happened to those people at the dam? The ones Grady (I think it was Grady?) saw die and then floating in the water, and then he opened a gateway and they were alive and well behind the gateway? How did that happen?

They were the villagers from Hinderstap, so after they died they reawoke in their beds in the morning.  I don't think their's any nformation on what happened to them after the LB.

They were the villagers from Hinderstap, so after they died they reawoke in their beds in the morning.  I don't think their's any nformation on what happened to them after the LB.

Yes, I was going through tvtropes and I just reached that part. HAHAHAHAHAHA

Guest Nar Shadda Han

Also the thing im really interested is that Branden mentioned that alot of the main story was changed due to time and length restraints. He specifically mentioned that alot of the main characters that were supposed to die didnt because he didn't have time to explain their deaths. I think it would be pretty cool if he could maybe make a section in the encylopedia or a post about it on the site making a plot summary of how Jordan truly planned it to end and who survived in AMOL that shouldnt have. Also im dying to know... Who does Rand marry and how are Aviendha's babies gonna be, i guess you could say weird?

Also the thing im really interested is that Branden mentioned that alot of the main story was changed due to time and length restraints. He specifically mentioned that alot of the main characters that were supposed to die didnt because he didn't have time to explain their deaths.

When/where did Brandon say this?

Also the thing im really interested is that Branden mentioned that alot of the main story was changed due to time and length restraints. He specifically mentioned that alot of the main characters that were supposed to die didnt because he didn't have time to explain their deaths. I think it would be pretty cool if he could maybe make a section in the encylopedia or a post about it on the site making a plot summary of how Jordan truly planned it to end and who survived in AMOL that shouldnt have. Also im dying to know... Who does Rand marry and how are Aviendha's babies gonna be, i guess you could say weird?

Did he actually say "main" characters?  Did he use that word?  Just curious because the fates of most of those I would consider main characters fates were clearly defined.   I suppose some such as Hurin and Davram perhaps were meant to have grander, on screen deaths.

I've never heard about Nar's claim regarding character deaths. Would be astonished if that is true. From a structural standpoint we do know plot decisions were made based on time constraints not what was best for the story. For instance the BT stuff being pushed from ToM.

So I think this list is pretty much as complete as it's likely to get. I will go through, verify and send it off to Brandon on Friday. I'm sure we can always add more but I think this is a pretty good list.

If its not too much trouble would you mind posting the final list in this thread?  I'd like to see the final list mostly out of curiosity.

Guest Nar Shadda Han

I honestly cant recall where i heard where he said that about the characters but im going to look into to see if i can find it again. Also im also curious about one other fact in the books. What are the questions Rand and Moiraine ask the Aelfinn? They book never says what he asks specifically or what moiraine asks, only that 3 answers were given. I know that atleast one of Rands questions to them was about how to cleanse saidin but i specifically wanna see what his questions are and their answers. Same with Moiraine. Finally what vision does Moiraine see in the columns in Rhuidean that if she didnt see she would die? Im hoping these questions can be answered in the encyclopedia.

I honestly cant recall where i heard where he said that about the characters but im going to look into to see if i can find it again. Also im also curious about one other fact in the books. What are the questions Rand and Moiraine ask the Aelfinn? They book never says what he asks specifically or what moiraine asks, only that 3 answers were given. I know that atleast one of Rands questions to them was about how to cleanse saidin but i specifically wanna see what his questions are and their answers. Same with Moiraine. Finally what vision does Moiraine see in the columns in Rhuidean that if she didnt see she would die? Im hoping these questions can be answered in the encyclopedia.

I agree with you, Nar. I want to see all of those questions answered in the upcoming encyclopedia as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Is there any body else who thinks Olver is the reincarnation of Gaidal Cain? (Brigitte says that she is about to be reborn and that Gaidal is already out there and only a few years older than she)

Welcome to Dragonmount

It was a pretty popular theory, but Olver's too old.  And likewise, welcome to the boards.

Twins from the Two Rivers body and twins from the Moridin body.

I'm surprised no one asked about Teslyn. I realize that she had to share space in the book with a host of characters, but the relationship with her and Mat was built up far too much to finish it off with a mere gateway. If that's the last they see of one another, I'd be disappointed.

Mat had other little gems planted around him that never saw follow up:

Petra - Why didn't he see Petra again?

Jame - No interest in going back there?

The Seanchan Bannerwoman Knife of Dreams - I was sure he would see her again, especially after the heavy foreshadowing supplied by her dialogue.

Nestelle din Sakura South Star - "I will remember you..." Shouldn't that have meant that she would encounter Mat one more time?

Did no one have a complaint about Abell never encountering Mat or (better) Tuon?

Archived