DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

List of Characters' Fates

Barid Bel Medar

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not specifically a character and I may have missed something about it (only read AoM once so far) but what about the Ways? Do they ever get cleaned up and the ogier get to use them again? Not only that but what in the name of the light is "The Book of Translation"? Just some thoughts. And again I may have missed these answers somewhere.

Can we ask about characters that were "off screen"? I'd like to know about Gaidal Cain.

He is a toddler. He missed the last battle.

Elayne should have gone into labour as Birgitte disappeared.

No she shouldn't have. The timing isn't remotely close. If Elaynes children are heroes then they are Calian and Shiva who are heralds of a new age.

So far as Gaidal cain is concerned, it would have to be a yoing boy, but not a toddler.According to Birgitte, he's a few years older than her at the time of his birth, so Grady's son can't be it. if it wasn't for the fact that Mr. Jordan specifically ruled Olver out, I'd say he was the perfect canidate, but right now i'm stumped for who it is wh's as obvious as Mr. Sanderson seems to think...

tud

So far as Gaidal cain is concerned, it would have to be a yoing boy, but not a toddler.According to Birgitte, he's a few years older than her at the time of his birth, so Grady's son can't be it. if it wasn't for the fact that Mr. Jordan specifically ruled Olver out, I'd say he was the perfect canidate, but right now i'm stumped for who it is wh's as obvious as Mr. Sanderson seems to think...

tud

Actually both Grady's son(who is four) and Olver are too old. The timing for Olver never came close to working so not sure why you would say he is the perfect candidate.

Interview: Jan 16th, 2003

COT Signing Report - Tim Kington (Paraphrased)

Question

Is Olver Gaidal Cain?

Robert Jordan

No. I didn't really think that this would last as long as it has. The timing is wrong. He has another reason for being there besides being a red herring, though.

QUESTION

He's too old.

ROBERT JORDAN

Yes. Time in Tel'aran'rhiod and the real world run at different rates, but it never runs backwards. You may spend an hour in Tel'aran'rhiod, and a day has passed when you get back, or you may spend a day, and an hour has passed when you get back, but you'll never go in on Tuesday and come back on Monday.

what has happened to alanna's second warder ihvon?

Good question.  He's last mentioned going to Fal Dara with Alanna in WH.  I would guess it is a fairly safe bet he is dead, either being killed when Alanna was captured and taken to SG, or going into a Warder rage somewhere and charging Shadowspawn when she died.

I can't seem to remember what happens to Morgase. She's listed as dead above, but I can't for the life of me remember her even being mentioned.

I don't remember Morgase dying. The last I saw of her, she was looking for wounded with the Tinkers.

And yet, we have a corpse with hair matching Elayne's mounted on a horse to fool the Andoran army that their queen has fallen... This trigger speculation that the corpse is Morgase.

Adding to the list of characters:

Serafelle (at Fal Dara - never seen again)

Afara (sent to Tarabon - never seen again)

Mayam (Tower Embassy - never seen again)

Berilla Naron

Marillin Gemalphin

Liandrin

Rina Hafden

Ryma Galfrey

Weiramon and Anaiyella

While we're at it: all the Tairen High Lords, all the Andoran High Seats, the senior Cairhien nobles

Zaida and the Sea Folk clan mistresses

LJ.

Sutree, I got the idea about Olver from what Mr. Jordan wrote about his relationship with Birgitte. When she first was introduced, she specifically noted that Cain was almost always significantly older than her, implying an age gap of ten years or more. Ten years isn't all that much of an age gap when you're an adult, but it would be noticable. Birgitte even mentions the fact that this time around he's only going to be a couple of years older than her (as if that is an unusual situation). Therefore, Olver (who's ten years of age at the time of her birth) would fit quite well in normal circumstances except for the fact that Mr. Jordan specifically ruled him out and the fact that Birgitte indicated that Cain is near her own age.

As for the blonde woman whose corpse was being used by Mellor, that wasn't Morgase. It was either the decoy Elayne sent off earlier or another woman. Morgase wasn't anywhere near that part of the battle, so it's unlikely she was killed unless it was by the trollocs before Logain and his guys showed up.

Regarding Rina Hafden, it's almost certain she survived since Elyas wasn't consumed by rage during his time at S G (and it seemed certain he survived).

tud

@tud

You seem to have misinterpreted things. RJ was clear that the dates never worked for Olver(but really he didn't need to even say that based on how the world works and the timeframe). I believe the quote has been provided so not sure why you are discussing this further? There was never an implication of time you mention above and we could always track the timeline from when he went missing from Tar. It was nowhere near Olver's age.

INTERVIEW: Jan 16th, 2003

COT Signing Report - Tim Kington (Paraphrased)

QUESTION

Is Olver Gaidal Cain?

ROBERT JORDAN

No. I didn't really think that this would last as long as it has. The timing is wrong. He has another reason for being there besides being a red herring, though.

QUESTION

He's too old.

ROBERT JORDAN

Yes. Time in Tel'aran'rhiod and the real world run at different rates, but it never runs backwards. You may spend an hour in Tel'aran'rhiod, and a day has passed when you get back, or you may spend a day, and an hour has passed when you get back, but you'll never go in on Tuesday and come back on Monday.

Based on the timeline of when Gaidal was spun out even Grady's son was too old.

As for the blonde woman whose corpse was being used by Mellor, that wasn't Morgase. It was either the decoy Elayne sent off earlier or another woman. Morgase wasn't anywhere near that part of the battle, so it's unlikely she was killed unless it was by the trollocs before Logain and his guys showed up.

don't think it was her, but ​Morgase and Mellar were on the same field; Morgase looking for wounded, and Mellar looting corpses, right before he came to Elayne. It's unlikely she was wearing an identical dress though.

Guest Leopold_Boothe

Elaida?

Considering that Fortuona's treaty with Egwene allowed all damane the option of going to The White Tower logically she will be returning but hopefully wiser for the wear.  

Add to the list Ewin Finngar (sp) this was the 14 year old kid who tagged along with Rand and Mat in EtoW and was given a coin by Moiraine.  Later some time around TFoH or LoC he left the Two Rivers with some other youths.  I always thought he would have a bigger part to play in the series.

I would like to know what became of the Aiel as a people.  Were they not supposed to be reduced to a remanent of a remanent?   Did a lot of them die off screen or did the remanent of a remanent phrase have something to do with Avi's vision (which was apparently prevented) or was it somehow a cryptic allusion to their new role a in The Dragon's Peace?

And while we're on the topic of Aiel, what was the ultimate fate of the Shaido?

Archived