DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

evil in other fantasy worlds

Moon Sedai

I done not read mch fantsy/sci fi so dont haev much say there. but waht I thinks make greatest evil is innocent evil - they eithr dont know thire bad in othre peoples eyes or they cn recognise thye are hated or feard but thy dont attch conept of morality to it becuse dont truly understand it, so theres litle to no abilit to reson with thm like a functionl, typical adult. 

Not yet Play3r

To me the best kind of bad guys are the ones who are doing good.... or think they're doing good.
Umbridge was like that.
So was Elaida...
And many of the Whitecloaks.
Cause almost nobody wakes up in the morning and says "I think I'm going to be an evil mean bad guy today".

Klingons, in the original series before TNG fleshed them out and made them allies with the Federation. They didn't care about good or evil, they just wanted conquest and war for their own sake. Some of the non-canon tie-in books fleshed them out before it was done canonically, and took things in totally different directions.

Perhaps some back story is needed, after making a deal with death itself (out of jealousy) Strahd killed his brother Sergei. This in an effort to win Tatyana's heart (obvious backfire). What I think makes him so evil is the fact that the act brought an entire group of innocent people into Ravenloft, a place that would put despair into the hearts of the strongest Chosen.

Darth Bane from Star Wars.

I think a good bad guy has to have motivation.  Most of the time, this comes from self preservence or a quest for power.

In the case of Bane, the latter is the case.

Darth Bane. . .  I don't remember much of his story. But the quest for power can be a good motivation to turn to the Darker Forces. Voldemort was much like that. Often those who search for power are those who inspire the most fear. 

I think that some of the scariest things about the Power-quest evils are that sometimes those Power-quest evils do so through the proper governmental channels. 

Darth Sidious became Emperor using legal means to take control and power. 

Hitler was elected into office, initially. And continued to be elected. (Though his party took control of the vote). 

I done not read mch fantsy/sci fi so dont haev much say there. but waht I thinks make greatest evil is innocent evil - they eithr dont know thire bad in othre peoples eyes or they cn recognise thye are hated or feard but thy dont attch conept of morality to it becuse dont truly understand it, so theres litle to no abilit to reson with thm like a functionl, typical adult. 

I want to make sure I understand, Taltos. You think that the greatest evil is when the villain doesn't know/understand the ills of his actions? 

I think i saw something once where the dude was a complete psychopath. He did all these evil things but it wasnt cos he wanted to be evil he just didnt care or feel anything. It was spooky

Mental Health issues. 

It's amazing how often things happen in real life where a person does something truly horrible (Andrea Yates drowns her kids, School shootings, etc) and the news makes a point to tell the audience "The Person was on Medication." 

Is it possibly the mental illness or the medication causing people to do bad things? 

Cause I once almost turned homicidal when I was on a *certain* anti-depressant. 

Klingons, in the original series before TNG fleshed them out and made them allies with the Federation. They didn't care about good or evil, they just wanted conquest and war for their own sake. Some of the non-canon tie-in books fleshed them out before it was done canonically, and took things in totally different directions.

Qapla'! 

Klingon.jpg

This. Is totally going to my desktop. 

You guys should check out the "lightbringer series" by brent weeks

the main bad guy (reminds me so much of ishamel ), and he has a nice backstory, perfect little twist.

I think i've seen the books, haven't read them. 

Perhaps some back story is needed, after making a deal with death itself (out of jealousy) Strahd killed his brother Sergei. This in an effort to win Tatyana's heart (obvious backfire). What I think makes him so evil is the fact that the act brought an entire group of innocent people into Ravenloft, a place that would put despair into the hearts of the strongest Chosen.

Yeah, Ravenloft is pretty creepy. ..

1 particular set of bad guys I have found fascinating are the villains and Karen Miller's Godspeaker trilogy.

The primary villain, an empress named Hekate, Is corrupted by a demon claiming to be a god. A dark God, that feeds on blood.

She takes her people on a quest to conquer the globe.

There are servants of the God who are not as corrupt she is.

Everything she does she does because she believes it is right. Because God told her to.

But the daughter for people with a corrupt demonic entity, twisted.

There was a series. I think it was by tad williams.

The golden city? I cant remember but its all set in this giant CGI world

there is a guy in thaat series that was pure evil. He folliws the main charaters and offs people in the books. Weirdly scary dude thoough

Archived