DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

So have any other books totally been ruled out entirely by Harriet?

Mithan

Simple question:

Not including the encyclopedia, have any other books expanding the series been totally ruled out entirely by Harriet? 

The world is huge and detailed, covering thousands of years.  There are many stories one could tell that would be awesome to read I think.  To me, Robjert Jordan has created the richest fantasy world that I enjoy, so it would be a shame not to see his vision continue, even if under different people.  Obviously, others probably feel different but whatever.

Just curious what the "official" word is, if there is one. 

Thanks.

RJ was very much against any "shared world" type scenario. It wasn't until very late that he even consented to allow AMoL to be finished. The notes for these last three books were far less robust than most realize and almost non-existent for the prequels and outriggers. It would basically be other authors creating stories in his world which is just a terrible idea. Team Jordan has decided to respect his wishes and they don't want to taint his legacy with a Star Wars type situation where the quality is really bad. The Encyclopedia and "River of Souls" will be the last things we get.

RJ was very much against any "shared world" type scenario. It wasn't until very late that he even consented to allow AMoL to be finished. The notes for these last three books were far less robust than most realize and almost non-existent for the prequels and outriggers. It would basically be other authors creating stories in his world which is just a terrible idea. Team Jordan has decided to respect his wishes and they don't want to taint his legacy with a Star Wars type situation where the quality is really bad. The Encyclopedia and "River of Souls" will be the last things we get.

No, there is nothing terrible idea.  You are working with the assumption that it will be a terrible book, which isn't the case always. 

I would love to explore the world more and hope that happens some day, but perhaps it wont.  Oh well. 

it's very unlikely anything else is going to get published, though it's not 100% set into stone, backed by law and contract forever and ever ruled out that nothing 'official' will be put out

also, seeing how sanderson was put in charge to write the end, it leaves a huge precedent for many other talented fans to write stuff. i know that fanfict won't be .. canon or whatever, but it will be entertaining! like the op wrote, wot is huge, so there's plenty of room for more to come. i think fans, old and new, are going to stick around for a long time, so here's hoping for a lot more interesting adventures in the wot world

No, there is nothing terrible idea.  You are working with the assumption that it will be a terrible book, which isn't the case always. 

I would love to explore the world more and hope that happens some day, but perhaps it wont.  Oh well. 

No assumptions. One of the reasons cited by Team Jordan  is not wanting to hurt his legacy. Further as I said RJ was very much against any type of shared world scenario. He was totally uncomfortable with any one else writing in his world and there is no source material to work off. For that reason alone it would be a terrible idea. I for one think we need to respect his wishes and apparently Harriet and Brandon agree.

It really is a shame RJ didn't live longer. I'd have loved to read a book based around Logain or Taim, how they became false dragons.

Oh yes I would have loved to read that.

Team Jordan has decided to respect his wishes and they don't want to taint his legacy with a Star Wars type situation where the quality is really bad.

This is really beside the point but I just have to shoot in that I have read quite a few Star Wars books and many of them are great. I do not think that a shared world type scenario is a bad idea however that do not really matter one way or another, Jordan did not want anyone else publishing books in his world and it is good that his wife and others around him respect his wishes even when they could stand to earn allot of cash not do so. Now fanfiction that is one thing as that is not cannon and almost every setting has it, hell even Tetris have fanfiction and I have always been for it, however I think that if an author say he or she do not want any more published works in their setting then that should be respected, even if many of us fans would have loved to see more.

I would more say that the last thing we want is a Dune scenario where new authors of inferior skill start writing books in the setting which do not even always comply with earlier cannon and then have the audacity to say that when the new and old books conflict it is their new books which is cannon. I read the new Dune books but they are clearly a slap in the face to Herbert and I do not want to see something like that happen with Wheel of Time not that I think anyone would do that.

The last I heard Harriet had given a definitive "NO" to any further WOT material being published and ever before she made this decision Brandon had stated that he was not interested in writing any more WOT books.  Frankly I think this is the right decision as I don't want to see a Star Wars Extended Universe situation happen with WOT.  

Of course RJ did not plan on writing any WOT outriggers or prequels (with the exception of New Spring) until he had finished "Infinity of Heavens" a proposed six book saga.  Keep in mind that WOT started out as a proposed three book series so God only knows how long Infinity of Heavens would have turned out being.  Therefore, there is good chance the outriggers and prequels never would have gotten written anyway LOL  

It really is a shame RJ didn't live longer. I'd have loved to read a book based around Logain or Taim, how they became false dragons.

Oh yes I would have loved to read that.

Team Jordan has decided to respect his wishes and they don't want to taint his legacy with a Star Wars type situation where the quality is really bad.

This is really beside the point but I just have to shoot in that I have read quite a few Star Wars books and many of them are great. I do not think that a shared world type scenario is a bad idea however that do not really matter one way or another, Jordan did not want anyone else publishing books in his world and it is good that his wife and others around him respect his wishes even when they could stand to earn allot of cash not do so.

To be clear I wasn't trying imply they are all poorly written but it is well know that the quality varies wildly. Some of them can be a fun light read but we need to keep what they actually are in perspective. Even with the better written ones it's not as if the quality of writing hits that top bar of fantasy writers that RJ was in.

Something you probably can look forward too is reading fan fiction. While that term usually inspires bad quality, you can be sure there will be interesting and well written stories.

It's probably the best we will get.

Brandon Sanderson is alive and kicking, and his Stormlight Archive series will be 10 books long, and to me, a fine replacement for my need for epic fantasy.

To be clear I wasn't trying imply they are all poorly written but it

is well know that the quality varies wildly. Some of them can be a fun

light read but we need to keep what they actually are in

perspective. Even with the better written ones it's not as if the

quality of writing hits that top bar of fantasy writers that RJ was in.

Well I would only count a very small handful of authors in that top bar so yes I agree with that, there is not many authors who was write as well as Robert Jordan and there is not many of the Sta Wars books who can compete with the top bracket of fantasy and science fiction, you have a few of them actually written by well established authors who just happen to be Star Wars fans and those are often great but yes the quality of the Star Wars, Star Trek and other shared universe type books vary wildly.

This bring me though to one good reason why a shared universe type scenario for WoT would be bad, I guess it could work for stories set in other times in the setting but if the same characters where to be involved, actually for one author to take another's characters and make them seam just like the ones in the original piece of fiction is extremely difficult, I mean even between how Sanderson portray Jordan's characters there are differences and he had the benefit of Hariet's advice and all the background information. You often see this when books are written in the setting of a TV series, the characters often get butchered, either because the author did not understand a certain character or for other reasons. I mean I am a huge fan of Stargate Atlantis and since the series have ended all the fans have to continue the setting is tie in novels and every time a new one of those is published the question is, okey who get to be butchered this time. I think there is a danger the same could happen with WoT characters if someone else published books in the setting using the same characters, that they would be disturbingly different or just plain butchered.

Personally as much as I would love to have more WoT books, without RJ atleast outlining them they would not be in the same world. It would be based on WoT and probably loosely at that. I'd rather that anyone who was good enough to write in this universe develop their own works than try to emulate the un-emulatable.

It would be a bit like Driving on Tarmac roads for years and then suddenly realising that if you want to continue driving you've got no choice but to drive on cobblestones, yeah you can still do it, but it will be a bumpy ride and no where near as smooth or comfortable.

So I really do hope the stick to their morals and RJ's wishes and not make any more. Not unless they do some sort of seance and speak to RJ's spirit and get him to dictate the book to them.

Archived