DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Time to Report

TaeaDawn

The world had many new and exciting things to show Ikena Adelar. The military barracks outside the port city of Shon Kifar were not one of them. Since she had first tested true to the bracelet Ikena had been to a number of similiar encampments to walk among the soldiers and train the damane that would walk into battle. The encampment was the same orderly chaos that she had always associated with soldiers, though today's sojourn was about her companion. She walked with Chali among the soldier's today, reviewing the troops and getting her acclimated with the camp and the soldier's in general. Damane were normally kept separate from the main body of the army, but Ikena liked the damane to understand the working of the army they would be working with. And the layouts of the camps in case anything happened to her. Showing the damane around the camp here would at least get her to understand the workings of a military camp, even if it wasn't the one they would eventually be stationed in.

Of course, they still had some time in Shon Kifar before the ship took them across the sea to the land of their forefather's but Ikena was making use of their time here. There was never a time when she would stop training Chali, though she had long since given up hope that the damane would regain her personality. It had been too thoroughly beaten out of her and though she had tried for their first year together, Ikena had never been able to get Chali back.

Two years now they had worked as a team and though Ikena had sweated the cose, she had never regretted the purchase of her own damane. She had been given honors and had gained the same for her family. She had become known as someone who handled tough cases well so her services were asked for around the Empire. And now, when they were preparing for the Return, she was in a position to be among them.

"What do you think of it Chali?" She asked the woman attached to the leash on her wrist.

Throughout her two years of service with Mistress Ikena, her leash holder had never ceased asking her questions about the things around them. Her answers did not matter, but they were expected of her so she was required to conjure an answer. Any answer would do, but she was required to satisfy her mistress as best she could so she fulfilled her duty as she was able. "It is a military camp, Mistress Ikena." That is what she thought, as that was what she saw though it mattered little. What mattered was that she served and that was what she did.

Ikena shook her head and gave a small smile to the damane. Her answers were always the same, though Ikena couldn't break her own habit of asking. It made her feel less alone to talk to the damane, her only constant companion since her father's death years before. She couldn't help but think that somewhere in Chali's mind there was an actual answer, a true response to the things she asked about. She would never know what it was but it had to be there somewhere.

Either way, Chali had been a good damane and their work was recognized as well as their good repore so she didn't get upset over the lack anymore. "Take notice of the lines and the way they interact." Ikena said as they continued walking. "Military camps are almost always set up in a similiar fashion. Once you understand their workings you will be able to navigate them much easier. We'll have time to learn our base camp on the other side of the Sea, but I want you to learn what you can here." She said, confident that her damane would do as she commanded.

Listening to Mistress Ikena, while she took note of the command she was already aware of the camp layout. One was much the same as any other with few differences, if she needed to she could find her way around easily enough. If she had been more aware of herself, she would have asked the question of why it was even necessary for her to be able to know how to navigate the camp because all she had to do was stay with her sul'dam, but she wasn't so the question went unspoken. Instead she followed and took heed as instructed.

Ikena didn't waste time as they walked. She knew where she was headed in a general way and with few questions was able to stand before the tent she had been told to report to. She hated these sort of first time introductions, but it was part of her duty and she wasn't about to shirk off anything. She approached the tent with her head held high and herattention firmly on the behaviour of her damane. After all this time it wasn't likely the creature would misbehave, but Ikena wasn't about to start this compaign on an off note. "I need to speak with General Suloth." She said to an underling at the main tent. "Tell him Sul'dam Ikena Adelar is reporting for duty."

Ikena Adelar

Sul'dam

Chali

Damane

"General, Sul'dam Ikena Adelar is here to report."

Nodding, General Velar Suloth looked over to General Jaedon Suloth who was still busy picking at a fingernail. By the Crystal Throne, it didn't matter whether they were four or in their forties and generals to boot, his brother could still irritate him with his indolent facade. Nevermind that he had heard what Kai had said, light he was going to hit him if he kept doing this all day. Frowning, Velar decided not to comment and turned back to Kai who was all too familiar with this. "Show her in, Kai."

As Kai bowed and turned away, Velar got to his feet. Jaedon surprisingly did the same after a moment's notice, once again he was trying to wind Velar up and once again he was succeeding. They were definitely going to have to have a spar at some point, all in the interests of keeping their skills sharp of course. Of course, whenever Velar made such an offer then Jaedon was inevitably needed for something or other. He'd get him at some point though, honour was all well and good but if his baby brother thought he was going to rile him up much more then he was going to be in for a rude surprise.

"Another sul'dam? Why won't you just let the der'sul'dam handle her? She's just another soldier." The amusement in Jaedon's voice almost dripped from every word.

"There is no such thing as just another soldier, and if you keep that up I'm going to break your fingers." Velar found himself wondering whether he was going to be able to wait for the meeting to end. It had been a week since he'd last hit Jaedon and the strain would probably tell before long. Jaedon also knew he was pressing a button which didn't need to be pressed.

"Now now, that is no way for the mighty General Suloth to behave. We have a guest after all, we wouldn't want to set a ba-"

"I'm going to break your nose after this, and no one will naysay it."

Getting a laugh from Jaedon, Velar smiled slightly himself. Just as well because a moment later, Ikena Adelar entered the tent. She was in uniform, her lightning bolts marking her for a woman who could direct a damane and do both wonderful and terrible things. Although both himself and Jaedon outranked her, Velar bowed slightly nevertheless which Jaedon imitated. While his brother might like to poke fun at him, he did not do so infront of those who could not be trusted. Gesturing to the seats opposite, Velar spoke with an easy tone. "Welcome to our camp, Ikena Adelar. Please, be seated."

Sitting as did his brother, the woman sat only a fraction later. She observed custom, that was a good thing. Maybe she would learn with time that she could readily relax here, but that would depend on her usefulness to Velar and Jaedon as well. Then again, that was a problem to be broached on another occasion.

"So, I understand you have traveled some distance to join us here? Please, tell myself and General Suloth more about yourself. We like to learn a bit about each person who comes under our command."

Velar/Jaedon Suloth

Seanchan Command

Ikena waited as was proper to take her seat and was gratified that her damane was behaving as well. She waited for the chance to speak and gave a small nod to both Generals in thanks of their welcome. She hadn't been aware that two of them would be there, but it was no matter to her really.

"Thank you Generals." She began. "There is little to tell, outside the fact that I am sul'dam and that the damane with me is my own." She said, a fact of pride for her though she told them the truth simply because it was her property and not the Emperor's that sat at the end of her leash. She didn't want mistaken property claims while on this mission and least of all when it had cost her so dear. "I am of House Adelar and tested true to the leash when I was 14 so you have no need to fear a wet behind the ears sul'dam on your hands." She said with a small smile.

"Its a rare sul'dam that owns her damane outright, you must have had quite the resources at your disposal to make such an acquisition." Looking at the damane, Velar's smile slipped but it was Jaedon who chose to speak next. He seemed to have questions of his own all of a sudden, even as bored as he seemed. "How long have you had your damane now, Ikena? She looks like she could be no more than thirty to forty years old by my guess." Velar in turn nodded at the question and turned to Ikena as he added. "Yes, she does seem rather young. Is she well trained? Some take a long time to develop their powers I am told."

If it was possible, her back stiffened slightly at their questions. She was Sul'dam and if she brought a damane to battle, it was well trained! She took a deep breath, knowing that her pride was prickly where it came to her damane. "I was blessed by a generous and honorable family." She said in regards to the first matter. Her voice was steady enough, she deemed, to begin the second. "I have owned Chali for two years and you will not find a better trained damane in the entire Empire." She boasted. "I would not bring an untrained child to a battlefield Generals."

It was a rare occasion when both the brothers frowned, but frown they did at Ikena. Waiting until she lowered her eyes, Velar softened his expression as he spoke. "No insult was meant by our questions, as you may well understand we wish to know as much as we can about our forces so they may be used as effectively as possible. You may have served under different commanders in the past, but in Shon Kifar we do not believe in slighting our subordinates for mere amusement. No no, there is no need to apologise, you have sei'taer in our eyes Ikena Adelar, but remember this all the same."

It was Jaedon's turn to speak again, his manner almost bored as he spoke lazily. "As General Suloth said, we do not question your integrity. We would like to settle an idle curiosity of ours though. With every new damane that is brought in, we are trying to determine the average age of those that are brought here to be used by sul'dam. Most have been well over a hundred years in age, which is why the appearance of your damane surprises us. Would you happen to know her age at all?"

Ikena shook her head, feeling ashamed of her behavior though they claimed she hadn't lost honor. She would have to work herself harder than normal to feel she had regained her footing here, but the answer to their question was easy enough. "I do not know her true age Generals." She said. "When I purchased Chali she was but a shell. The Auction House could give me little information about her and she yields even less." She said, frowning back at the damane who stood quietly behind her. "Her's was a case of severe breaking I am afraid. I have tried to help her past it, but whoever held her leash before me was not gentle." She said, her voice showing her digust at such methods.

"Chali, can you tell the Generals your age?" She asked the damane in a calm voice.

"I do not know, Mistress Ikena." Chali's eyes were fixed firmly on the floor and didn't waver at all. She either knew or she did not, and as she did not there was nothing else she could offer. No curiosity as to what the answer might be, no hesitation in her voice at the answer she gave, it simply was.

Both Velar and Jaedon exchanged glances at the answer before Jaedon turned to Ikena. "It is a shame that we cannot have an answer, but it cannot be helped. Still, we would like to extend our sincerest welcome to you, and hope that the faith we place in you to serve the Ever Victorious Army will not be misplaced.

"Indeed, I don't think it will be. For a sul'dam to handle such an unusual damane is a worthy pursuit. We wish you future success Ikena Adelar." Rising, Velar's smile was warm as he regarded Ikena Adelar as was his tone. "Remember what we said earlier, in Shon Kifar you have sei'taer and if there is a problem of some sort, be sure to report it. We are more concerned with the order of this camp more than anything else, and if we have overlooked something then you should inform us of it. That will be all, Ikena Adelar."

Ikena nodded her head, a small bow to the Generals as she noted Chali in the same fashion. She was well trained and would deserve something special tonight for her behavior. "Thank you Generals Suloth. If I see anything that warrants reporting, I will contact you immediately."

As she backed out of the tent, Ikena stood a little taller. She liked the Generals and though perhaps she would work well with them. She looked over at Chali and gave her a warm smile. "You did well today Chali." She said as they began to walk away.

While Chali accepted what was said in silence as she followed her mistress, the two Generals inside the tent were seated silently as they pondered the meeting. "Do you think that sh-" Jaedon was silenced as Velar chopped with his hand before them to indicate silence. After awhile, Velar spoke. "I think that what happened was very unexpected. We shall have to keep an eye on this Ikena Adelar I think."

Ikena Adelar

Sul'dam

Chali

Damane

Velar/Jaedon Suloth

Seanchan Command

It was an easy pace the pair set as they walked. Different streets were noted yet did not strike Chali as being special in any particular way, they just were. Soldiers walked by and didn't see her and she barely saw them, her Mistress was her eyes and her ears, her will and her mind. There was simplicity in her state, no doubts or fears, no feelings to trouble her or give her the illusion of happiness. Such things could be taken away with ease, as could memory and self, Chali was infinitely better off with none of these things because with nothing to call her own and nothing to lose, she was capable of serving her sul'dam with no other form of distraction.

She didn't notice the leash pull on her as she stopped in her tracks, nor did she even notice that she had stopped at all. It was without warning or fanfare, no obvious reason for it as she became oblivious to the world around her and retreated inward. There was something there that had never been there before, a flicker of something, a whisper perhaps. Whatever it was, it teased at the comfortable darkness that she was accustomed to, the emptiness that she dwelled within. Something wasn't right, in fact it was increasingly terrifying as it grew.

Not only did it grow but it swelled inside of her. Unconsciously she repositioned herself as her legs came together a little closer, her hands that were usually open palms clenched into fists at her side. She felt... She wasn't sure but the fact she felt was enough to scare her, something that also showed on her face which had lifted itself slightly with her eyes staring directly ahead rather than downcast. The fe-

A stinging sensation across the buttocks snapped Chali out of her daze and restored her to herself. Her fists unclenching, her feet shifted slightly and her face along with her eyes lowered themselves in a heartbeat. She had erred, the pain told her as much and now she waited for further punishment or instruction as she had before, it simply was.

Chali

Damane

There was nothing to explain the sudden jerk on the end of the leash. It was so out of the ordinary that Ikena's first reaction was shock as she turned to see the damane staring at the street. It lasted only a second as she saw eyes that looked ahead and not at the street as they should, hands clasped at her side where normally they were relaxed and waiting a command.

There was something else there that she hadn't sensed on the other end of the leash since she had purchased Chali so long ago. Emotion. She could determine what it was, had no ecperience with anything that Chali might call emotion, but that's what it was none the less. A gasp escaped her as she watched the damane. People on the street walked by, watching in curious wonder at the two but she ignored them completely.

Could there still be something there? She felt something rising, fear perhaps. Could it really be that after all this time there truely was something hidden deep down in Chali's subconscious? She squashed down the hope of it, but stood patiently waiting for Chali to recover herself. After a few moments though Chali's emotions began to turn to something more along the lines of terror.

Her own fear raised as well. She had been watching for 2 years to see some sign of her inner self but what if there was something more behind Chali's inability to remember? What if it had been something worse than her training that had taken that personality from her? She took a deep breath and decided it was time to take action. She wanted Chali's personality to come back more than just about anything, but she wasn't willing to risk her anymore.

"Chali?" There was no answer to her question. She sent a small trickle down the leash, a small tickle that should get her attention. Only nothing happened. When that didn't work she sent a prickly sensation down the damane's arm. Still nothing called her away from her innerself and the rising panic. Setting her feet firmly apart she did something she detested doing, especially to such a good damane as Chali. She sent a swift smack across her backside.

That seemed to bring the other woman around and Ikena took a deep breath at seeing Chali respond to it. But with the loss of panic came the loss of any feeling at all and Ikena wanted to scream at the thought. She controlled herself better than that though.

"You scared me for a moment Chali." She said in a quiet voice. "You stopped without warning. What happened Chali?" She asked.

dmikena.jpg

Mistress Ikena's query was one that Chali had no answer before. One moment she had been, the next moment she had not and now she was again. Trying to think of an answer, the only thing that she could say was the first and most obvious thing that came to mind. "I do not know, Mistress Ikena." And, like any other time she had done something to merit a reprimand, she added firmly. "It shall not happen again, Mistress Ikena." It had just been an aberration, that had not been what she was. She was Chali, she served, and that was all. What had happened was not her.

Ikena frowned as she looked at Chali. There was more to it. She had thought, once upon a time, to bring Chali's personality back but time and failure had been her bitter cup. There had to be something more. She looked at Chali harder this time. "No Chali. I need more than that this time. I need to know what stopped you. Tell me what happened. One moment you were walking with me. The next you stopped. Why did you stop?"

Her Mistress wanted another answer but Chali struggled to think of what it could have been that had made her... Chali blanked that thought as she instead tried to think of what had happened beforehand. She couldn't think of one thing, so she instead ran through what happened beforehand. It was nearing the end of the day, she had been led onto the street, people had passed them by, someone had yelled an insult, laughter, sound of horses, so- song. "A song, Mistress Ikena."

"A song?" She asked, careful to keep her voice neutral. "You stopped in the street to listen to a song? What was the song Chali? Why did it stop you?"

Thinking about the song brought but a whisper of the feeling she had possessed before, even so she teetered carefully around it. It did not bear thinking on beyond the fact, her mistress wanted to know and Chali would serve. "The Walls of Shon Kifar, Mistress Ikena." The feeling tried to persist but as soon as the words left her lips, Chali deliberately smothered it.

Ikena nodded. "Do you know that song Chali?" She asked.

That was Chali could answer easily enough. "No, Mistress Ikena." Or not. "I don't think so, Mistress Ikena." Something was familiar about it, but something told her she wasn't meant to know it. It was irrelevant, only her service was relevant as that was her purpose. Beyond purpose there was nothing. Nothing.

Ikena eyed Chali for another moment for deciding it was best to move along. They were getting eyed again by passerbys and she wasn't able to get as much from Chali out in the open like that as she might have if they were off on their own. She nodded. "Well then Chali, it is time enough that we were on our way. We have to get settled into the Inn. It does look like we will be here for long enough to get to know our rooms well." She said as she began walking again.

Following with the obedience she had always shown to her mistress, Chali was half a step behind and was once more blind to the world around her save what her mistress required her to see. Nothing had changed at all, she was made to serve and serve she would until there was no further use for her. It was with that axiom that Chali surrendered her will, her mind, her power, her body, everything was her mistress' to do with as she willed. Yet in the midst of the unchanging void that was Chali, there had been an infintesimal shift. Even if she refused to acknowledge it, denied what had occured and performed as she had...

It was.

Ikena Adelar

Sul'dam

Chali

Damane

The pen she was holding made little scratching noises on the paper. Supplies, reports, record of the Damane currently present, and currently available for use. The room around Kaede Sekar was silent and empty. From time to time a Sul’dam passed through it, occasionally with a leashed one on their arms. Sometimes they spoke to her, and other time a mere glance was enough. They were just reporting, and she knew most of them by face and name, especially those that had come from Seandar itself. Some of the more… outlandish Sul’dam were questioned for a moment, but rarely more than necessary to provide the der’sul’dam sitting at the desk with a face, and a name to put with it.

There would be ample time for interviews later. The Generals had made sure that her position in this… encampment was comfortable enough. Comfortable and large, but only just the right size. Only the bare minimum of respect. They despised her, almost as much as she despised them. It mattered little. When the Corenne happened, they would see the true power of Seanchan. Even the Blood acknowledged it’s strength. Two measly generals would to, even if she had to shove it down their throats. She shook her head slightly at the thoughts of them. She had different matters to attend to. The pen scratched again, jotting down the name of a sul’dam reporting in. She had her own Damane with her. For a moment Kaede felt pity for the leashed one, just as she would feel pity for a stray dog that had been abused by a few particularly cruel children.

The damane had no tongue. Kaede knew this, because she had been there to frown upon the Sul’dam when she discovered that the woman had needed such matters to tame her Damane. Kaede frowned again now, when she noticed that the Damane was missing a hand as well. Unnecessary cruelty. She despised it, almost as much as she despised the generals. What use was a Damane when it was broken too much? A damane that feared or hated her mistress would hamper the sul’dam in battle. A Damane that loved her mistress would die for her, and kill for her. For a moment Kaede thought back on the Damane she had trained in her long career. In the end, each and every one had wept when she passed on the leash, wept because they would never feel her kind guidance again.

The sul’dam shuffled out of the room at a nod from her, taking the broken Damane with her. “Mistreatment of the property of the empire.” She mused, placing the pen back in it’s holder. A sound at the door made her look up. Another unfamiliar face greeted her. And another one. A sul’dam with a leashed damane, one looking spirited, and the other looking… empty. Kaede’s nose wrinkled in distaste for a moment, before she smoothed her features. “Enter.” She said, sitting up a little straighter. She was still an impressive sight to see, and she knew it. Immaculate and imperious. Perhaps that was why the generals sought to have her replaced, they could never break her iron will. “What is your name?” she asked the Sul’dam, picking up her pen once more.

~Kaede Sekar

der’sul’dam

Ikena took a deep breath as she was told to enter. She hated reporting for duty. Hated it even more for having met the Generals already and having to report a second time, but such was the life of a soldier. Even one of Ikena's reputation and abilities. She stepped into the room with Chali a proper distance behind her. The damane was back to her empty shell and though Chali wished she could find a way to break through that, it was good to have the familiar when facing a new obstacle.

"Ikena Adelar, reporting." She said in a quiet voice that still managed to hold authority to it. She was a woman used to having people do as she said with little question. She managed the right level of respect as well to the der'sul'dam as she approached. "with my damane Chali."

dmikena.jpg