DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

White Ajah Murder Mystery: Who Killed Egwene?

Mashiara Sedai

Galad was not unaccustomed to being trapped by Aes Sedai mind tricks and he would not let himself be drawn into feeling harried or pressured.

He noticed Lara's the cook standing off with the Seanchan woman and Moraine. She had been mentioned to him through his eyes and ears. He would confront her, it was what was right.

"Laras, I have it on good authority that you poisoned an Aes Sedai before the Tower was unified. As Mistress of the kitchens it is your responsibility to ensure that the Amyrlin's food was prepared and poison free. Therefore blame has to be partly yours to shoulder.

Moraine Sedai, I know little of the Eilfinn and Aelfinn but what I do know is they offer a boon upon arrival. You suggest they would give you no boon since you were captive. This skirts very close to the edge of truth. So I ask, what are you trying to hide about your time with the Finns?"

Galad looked round to Logain.

He was an opposing man that went against many of Galad's ideals. Even in the void he could not keep the distain from his voice

"Logain.

The whitecloaks are not as unyielding as you seem to think. We realise that we are able to work together for the greater good and still stay true to our ideals. I never lie. For the time we are aligned to protect the world. I would never jeopardise the world."

Galad then turned and faced Nyneave and Elayne

"Nynaeve Sedai, my sister may of broken some of your tower law but she is not the first to do this, nor is it as frowned upon as both of you running away as accepted. So I ask you why you are trying to incriminate someone you once called friend?"

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

considering Rand's answer, Elayne turned to Nynaeve.

'My bonding breaks no Tower Law Nynaeve. I know Custom can be as strong as law here in the White Tower, but there is a difference, and Egwene understood that. Why would I kill someone who was going to agree with me? I know that you believe some Tower Customs to be ridiculous Nynaeve, so am surprised that you don't understand as well.'

She turned back to Rand 'I know over the renowned stubborness of people of the Two Rivers, I don't know how either of you could just except something if you believed the opposite, that's part of the reason why I ......' She stutters to a halt.

Quickly she turned to Siuan:

'If you haven't been summoned to the Amyrlin alot recently, surely you would be able to be more exact with when you last saw her. If she does not need your advice any more I would think a summons would be more memorable. It also occurs to me that you couldn't hope to overcome Egwene with the Power, so you would need forkroot if you were planning a confrontation.'

*Elaida turns to face Cadsuane,  a deep scowl on her face and yells* What do you mean "someone like me"?  I have always put the good of the Tower first.  I had no grudge against the girl. She was following tower laws, besides *she turns quickly to face Nynaeve, and extends a finger, shaking it in rythym with each syllable*    You girl, make such a fuss about knowing your herbs.  Out of everyone, you were the most likely to have access to the vile Forkroot. *she lowers her finger and steps back with arms crossed.*

• Community Administrator

Gawyn grasped the handle of his sword, pulling it a few inches from the scabbard, then forcing it back in.  The arguments around the room sickened him.  This was not getting anything answered; all they did was squabble.  If Sarene would only allow him to take each person aside and question them, things would be resolved a lot sooner.  He would rather execute 11 innocents to get the one he wanted than let the murderer go free.

Sarene cast a cool glance at him--an Aes Sedai trick of pretending to know his thoughts--and he took his hand away from his sword.  They'd play by her rules now, but later...

Less that 24 hours left to get all your questions in!

Mat stepped annoyingly towards his best friend.  He thought he was suspect.  Well a fat lot of friendship still held in between them.

Burn me! You know I don't agree with having damane! That bloody woman does, but I don't have to back her up on it.

Mat swiveled to face Logain

Logain, weren't you a flaming False Dragon, bent on revenge against the Aes Sedai? Egwene isn't Red, but she didn't disband the Ajah as many--including you--had hoped.  Don't tell me that that doesn't make you want to kill her, out of all the people here, you are the most suspect!

ANd of course, I'll answer any question you guys have.

Rand glanced at the entire room, then knew he had to step forward and ask more questions.  Too much was being forgotten or sidestepped.  And what had Elayne been talking about?

He turned first to the Aes Sedai.

"Moiraine, surely you must know more from your time imprisoned.  And Siuan, how are you simply sitting back while another sits in the seat you once held?  The same for you, Elaida.  And Cadsuane, you are among the oldest here.  Surely you must have more to say."

He then turned to the others in the room that he had come from the Two Rivers with.

"Nynaeve, I understand being reprimanded by Egwene, but with your temper and all, how did you not lash out more? And Mat, can you honestly say that your wife does not want Egwene dead?"

He eyed Elayne for a moment, then turned instead to the Seanchan.

"And did you come to Tar Valon with any forkroot?  Galad, the same could be asked of you, as you are one of the few not punished by it."

Logain was standing beside him, and he eyed him for a moment, then turned to the one he suspected most.

"Laras, the mother's food was poisoned.  What say you of that?  That fact alone is enough to condemn you in my eyes."

Rand shifted for a moment, then stared at Logain.  "You have no idea as to what she wanted to talk to you about?

His eyes then shifted to Elayne, and he was tempted to step towards her, but stayed in his spot.

"Part of why you what?  Egwene was your friend, but you do have a temper."

Elayne glared at Rand

'your stubbornness and dedication is one of the reasons I bonded you as a Warder you wool headed lummox! And regardless of my 'temper' I have no reason to kill my friend when she is beginning to agree with me on such an important subject. I have been taught from a young age court intrigue and how to rule a country: this has aided me well in the Tower and with putting my case to the Amyrlin.

Laras, I'm sure we all understand that you don't prepare each meal for the whole Tower yourself, but your position would give you lots  of opportunity for interference'

Breaks off still muttering about men, stubbornness and wool for brains.

*Elaida reiterates in a tone of annoyance*  The Amyrlin seat is no longer mine and that is that, I hold no grudge and am simply moving forward with my new position in the Tower, let us look deeper into those who had access to the Amyrlin's food and that foul forkroot, like Galad, Nynaeve, and Laras!

Siuan steps forward.

"I assure you, the Amyrln was quite alive when I left her. I only ommitted the whole truth because Egwene was angry with me for trying to give her advise where Rand is concerned." looks over at Rand scowling. "I would never harm the girl. Even if she doesn't need me anymore."

"And... I know the exact time of the last time I saw her. It was just before noon the day she got killed, in the Hall. I tried to convince her that the way she was dealing with the Dragon Reborn was wrong, she got mad at me and dismissed me from the Hall, so I left. I was too humiliated to tell you..."

"As to why I can stand aside and watch her take my place without resentment... Egwene was a much better Amyrlin than I, a much better Amyrlin than any other could have been. I am proud of my role in shaping her, and I think it's a horrible loss for the world that she is now gone. The world feels darker without her"

Siuan turns away quickly, taking a moment to compose herself. She was NOT gonna cry, goddamnit! Emotions back under control, she turns back to the room. Her eyes scanned the crowd, picking out the one her instincts warned her about. Stepping through the broken glass carefully to stand before Cadsuane. "Tell me, Sister. How long have you been plotting behind Egwene's back to take control of Rand?"

*Nynaeve yanked on her braid hard*

I would never use such a foul herb as Forkroot on a friend!! *glares at Elaida* You have used it on Egwene in that past, and in fact kept her on it for months!!

I will admit that I overreacted a little more than I should when I was being reprimanded... but I would not ever do something as big as killing her!! I have watched after her since she was a little girl, and we have been through so much...

(I keep forgetting who's who, could the list in the OP of the suspects be upgraded with the names of the people playing the chars?)

Siuan folds her arms under her breasts, pulling her shawl tightly around her in the process.

"It's kinda hard trying to remember; I was being yelled at in front of the whole Hall after all..." She breaks off and sends a glare around the room; daring someone to comment on that. "She might have been a bit more upset then neccesary. I don't know really."

Rand, (this is so weird, I feel like I'm talking to myself) it doesn't matter what my wife wants or not.  If she wants something that I don't, I'll bloody tell her I don't want it.  No ones going to take control of me.  I do what I want, not what my wife, you, or anyone else wants.  I'm a free man.

Logain looked to Mat, arching an eyebrow "One rule of being a noble, Cauthon, is to realize you can't hold grudges. I've been Healed, and I'm going to fight in the Last Battle. What do I care about the Red Ajah, or the other Aes Sedai?"

Shifting his gaze, he regarded Rand.  "I actually came here seeking audience with the Amyrlin, regarding a possible merger between the Towers.  I was waiting for Gabrelle to return with a time that I could meet with her when this all unfortunately happened.

"Enough," Gawyn bellowed.  All talking within the room ceased.  "Sarene Sedai, I think they've bickered enough for now.  Are you any closer to finding out the truth of who did this?"

This is the end of Round 1.  Wait patiently as we get a summary posted and get Round 2 information sent to you.  Any questions not answered in this round can be asked again, if so desired.

No problem Leala. I will be posting the summary after work today. If you want to supply your answer before then you may do so. Just hold any other questions you have until the next round.

Sarene stood and paced the hall for a few moments going over her notes.

"It would seem that we aren't getting anywhere. And yet we are. We know now that Laras has not been keeping up with her duties supervising the cooks however, she did bring Egwene her last meal and could have added the forkroot anywhere between the kitchen and here. Moiraine, you deny receiving a boon because you were a prisoner which I find highly suspicious. The Aelfinn and Eilfinn always grant one boon, prisoner or not. Rand hides behind the pattern. Siuan was seen leaving the Hall just before noon. Galad is noble in his statement about not wanting to jeopardize the world in these times." 

Sarene turns to address the rest...

"Elayne believes Egwene would come around in time. Mat of course believes he is a free man, but his wife probably sees it differently and could use him. Siuan knows Egwene didn't need her anymore. Nynaeve wouldn't use forkroot on a friend. Logain swears he still waiting for a summons when the Amyrln was murdered."

"Of all of this I am certain someone here is lying. We will get to the bottom of it."

Watching Gawyn out of the corner of her eye, she shakes her head trying to hold back her frustration with all of this...

"Gawyn, I can see you have something to say. Out with it!"

Gawyn nodded to Sarene Sedai.

"There is something I was wondering.  So many of our suspects are channelers.  Have you tested for residue?  If she were killed by the One Power, wouldn't you be able to tell?"

"You are right, Gawyn."  Sarene walked over and crouched down beside the Amyrlin's body.  The Aes Sedai suspects perked up, inspecting her flows.  Finally, Sarene returned to Gawyn's side.  "There is no residue, and no resistance.  She was not harmed by the One Power.  She was killed through other methods."

The Aes Sedai and Asha'man looked smug, assuming they had been cleared of all charges.

"But," Gawyn said, " just because an Aes Sedai swears to not use the Power as a weapon, there's no restrictions on other ways of murder.  And Asha'man have no pledges at all."

"Very true logic, Gawyn.  Let's ask a few more questions to see if we can find out any more secrets that they  want to keep hidden."

This is the start of Round 2.  You're information will be given to you by PM shortly.  This Round will last for 48 hour.

Archived