DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

White Ajah Murder Mystery: Who Killed Egwene?

Mashiara Sedai

*Nynaeve stepped forward next*

I last saw Egw- I mean the Amyrlin a little after sunrise. I was summoned and then... *faint color crept into her cheeks* .. lectured about living up to the Aes Sedai name and taking risks... *she stepped back*

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Elayne had been watching the others speak, considering their words. Stepping forward she said:

'this is a dark day for the tower, and I mourn for my friend as well as my Amyrlin. I last saw her yesterday, when I swore on the Oath Rod and we ....... Spoke....... About my bonding of warders.'

Logain calmly took a step forward, sparing a glance for the woman lying on the ground before meeting Gawyn's eyes.

"I received a summons for this afternoon, for what reason I do not know and now I suppose never will.  I must say I never have had the honor of meeting this Amyrlin before now."

Rand glanced at Logain, wondering why he had been summoned as well, but didn't mention it.  There was too much... else... going on in his brain.

It is a pity that our last conversation went to poorly.  She was trying to bully me into swearing fealty to her and this tower.  Something about being a wool-headed man...

Rand got lost in his thoughts for a moment, then quieted the voices with in and spoke back up.  

I told her no, of course.  That was after lunch, yesterday.

**Elaida steps forward with a much expected scowl and proclaims in a cold tone**  I last saw the Amyrlin a week ago when she had me birched and stripped of the Staff and Stole with you ALL gawking....  I've had NO reason to return since.  ** as she turns, quickly eyes each person present and steps back in place with an even colder expression**

Mat lazily stepped forward.  The simple foolishness of these Aes Sedai and their Warders were outstanding.  They thought that her childhood friend would kill her?  And that his loyalties would switch to the Seanchan so quickly?

I was talking to Egwene and she was interrogating me when I *blushed* accidentally slipped that I was the Prince of Ravens.  Anyways, she was a bit mad I guess and locked me up in the cells all night.  If you want proof, the guards can vouch for me.

He tipped his hat and stepped back.

Egeanin stepped stiffly forward.

I last saw the Amyrlin right before breakfast. She wanted to know more about the Seanchan but how did she expect me to help her if she won't tell me her plans? The Empress, may she live forever, is a woman of cunning and I need to know how the Amyrlin plans deal with the empire. Unfortunately your Amyrlin Seat has as much sense as a farmboy thinking he can make a good deckhand. 

She threatened me with execution but your Aes Sedai always let your emotions get the best of them, not at all like of the Blood. I refused her and left and that was the last I saw her.

Sarene looked up from her notes staring at each person one by one around the Hall. 

"There is one left to give account." Her eyes stop as she meets Galad Damodred's gaze. "Well Whitecloak? What have you to say for yourself?"

Galad walked forward calmly and carefully. He knew that what he would say could anger Gawyn and call into question his loyalty and honor but he had to do what what right.

He placed himself in the centre of the room and with a glance at Gawyn he began

I last saw Egw...

He glaced at the body on the floor and sort the void and the flame

....The Amyrlin at lunch yesterday. As the Lord Captain Comander of the Children of the Light it is my duty to meet with leaders and dignitaries to ensure they do what is right under the light.

He noticed that several of the Aes Sedai shifted at the menton of the Children but all remained cool and calm

This particular meeting was to voice my concerns, the concerns of the Children, of being subject to rule by those who call themselves Aes Sedai.

He knew Elayne would not approve of his reason, and he felt her stiffen and raise her chin behind him. But that was all distant in the void. Calmly and steadily he continued

It is the Children's view that one with so much power should not be allowed power over the runnings of the world. It only increases the temptation to abandon the Light and do the shadows bidding.

In the background Sarene cleared her throat

Please present only the facts Lord Galad and not your... ideals

He bowed his head to her in acknowledgement

Forgive me Sarene Sedai I overstepped my place.

The Amyrlin and I spoke on these matters for a while and I made mention that an... Agreement between our two factions could be in our best interest. She would face many dangers in her position and I, and the Children could be of use to her. She had spoken of the Green Ajah and I thought it would be fitting of one in her position.

She laughed and said Gawyn was the only protection she would need, as well as the protection of the Tower.

I will admit I left none too calm. Her dismissal was something that I'm not accustomed to and I delt with it badly.

I did not see her again until I arrived here, after the summons. You have my deepest sympathies. I morn for the Amyrlin, for Egwene, and for Gawyn.

Galad gave the body one lat lingering look then turned and walked back to the edge of the room. He paid Gawyn a look of regret as he did. He must be hurting deeply and the information he had shared today would not of eased that burden

• Community Administrator

As Galad walked back among the others, Gawyn's face twisted in anger.

"So, we have heard from everyone," Sarene Sedai said, but Gawyn cut her off by pulling his sword from the scabbard.

"Not a single one of you mentioned having lunch with Egwene," he said, holding the sword out to the gathered people.  "Obviously, someone is lying."

Sarene nodded.  "I guess we will have to delve a bit further into everyone's stories.  Gawyn, put that sword away.  Now is not the time for such methods.  Logic and reason will solve this case.  Let's put questions to them, not a blade.  Promise me you won't turn this into a fight."

"As you say, Sarene Sedai."

He put the sword back in its sheath, glad he was not bound by the Oaths to speak no lie.

This concludes the Introduction Round.  Your Round 1 instructions will come along shortly.

Sarene studied her notes, thinking. There were many inconsistencies among the stories they were being fed. That was quite obvious as Gawyn so eloquently pointed out. The matter is not who is lying, since based on what has been said there were many lies floating about this day. The matter is logically who's lying to cover their sin. This we must get to the bottom of.

“All of you have presented your…stories…as to when you last saw the Amyrlin alive.” She holds up a hand and waits for the Hall to return to silence.

“While we may get to the truth of the matter by allowing Gawyn here to question you individually, at sword point if I know him, I believe it would be faster to allow the questioning to begin here and now among ourselves.”

Sarene walks toward the doors to Hall as they slam shut with a weave of Air.

“I have a set a ward on the hall. No one is to enter or leave until the murderer is discovered.”

The Hall burst into shouts of objection. Sarene ignores them all. Her voice rose.

“You will be interested to know that after examining the Amyrlin’s body I have discovered some clues that will assist us in this matter. If you will all be quiet”, she snapped, “I will share this information.”

Walking slowly to calm herself and to wait for the murmurs to die down, she stops in front of Egwene’s body once again, and points.

“As anyone can plainly see, the blue tinge to the Amyrlin’s lips and bloodshot eyes would logically suggest strangulation. To further compound the evidence to this there are red marks around her neck here”, she pulls aside the neck of Egwene’s gown to show the gathered crowd. “Could it be the killer used the Amyrlin’s own stole to kill her?”

Sarene turns, carefully opening small parchment containing what looks like tea leaves.

“These I found in the bottom of the cup nearest Egwene when I first arrived. I dismissed them at first as tea leaves which we later found to be forkroot in the tea. After closer inspection I have deduced there are rather large amounts of forkroot in the cakes and even more in the sandwiches.” Her cool gaze descends across the suspects. “This leads me to believe Egwene was rendered helpless to her attacker, which is why we have been unable to detect the One Power's use in this matter”.

An uproar of raised voices erupts in the Hall at this revelation as all the suspects begin questioning each other at once. Sarene is forced to raise her voice again.

“Now, I will have order in this. If you wish to ask your questions of each other do so in a respectful manner”. She turns to Gawyn quietly adding, “And you will keep your grief in check until this is over”.

She sits on a bench near the garden door and prepares to continue with her notes.

Round 1 Q&A has begun. Check your PMs!

Elayne stepped forward and faced the other accused.

'I'm not afraid to be questioned, and will answer any that you put to me. And I have a question of my own.

Rand, can you honestly say that you remained calm when the Amyrilin asked you to swear fealty? Surely this would be a ..... struggle..... if you thought this was not the direction the pattern was leading you?'

Ask me what you will, I will answer... I must ask this, though...

*stepping toward Elayne, Nynaeve says*

Elayne, I have gathered that you have taken part in a bonding that breaks the Tower Laws. And I know how stubborn you are and that you won't annul that bond... so wouldn't you want to take out the person who would force you to get rid of it?

Cadsuane watched as everyone broke off and began to squabble at each other.  Elayne and Nynaeve seemed to think they had their suspects cornered with their watery excuses as motives.  However, Cadsuane saw something that should have been obvious for everyone.  "Phaw!  Obviously, I too will answer any questions asked.  But that's not important now."  She slowly yet surely and confidently walked up to Elaida.

"Everyone knows you can hold a grudge, Elaida.  Seeing the girl succeed where you failed is motivation enough for one like you."  Narrowing her eyes, she stared the former Amyrlin down, waiting for and expecting her answer.

Logain stepped over to Galad, arching an eyebrow as he crossed his arms.  “And what of the Lord Captain Commander of the Whitecloaks? What of their sudden "change of heart" with fighting on the side of the White Tower? I know deception when I see it, Damodred. You used that lie to gain access to the Amyrlin. You never had any real desire to fight on the same side as the channelers.

"I was the first to bear witness of my innocence so I will glady answer any questions that are directed at me."

*Glides over to confront siuan*

"Siuan, I do not believe that it has been days since your last meeting with Egwene. Isn't it true you saw her this morning? Don't try to deny it, I saw you leaving the hall in a huff, muttering something about fish guts. Why lie if you aren't guilty?"

Rand stared at Elayne for a moment, his head lost with the voices.  Lews Therin was yelling at him again, something about the pattern and women, and he let himself get lost in the calm to ignore all of the voices.  So much shouting.

He was brought back from his thoughts and gazed cooly at Elayne before speaking.

"Egwene was the one stepping out of line, not me.  I do as the Pattern pulls me.  Nothing more, and nothing less.  The pattern was not leading me in that direction to bend knee, and the pattern is on my side.  She simply had to accept that I would not swear fealty.  I wouldn't kill her over that."

Rand was thinking on what the others had said.  Forkroot?  He wouldn't touch that for all the peace in the world.  And strangulation?  Who would resort to such a thing as strangulation?  Most of the room could channel, while the rest could wield a blade of some sort.  Strangulation seemed so cool and devoid...

Of course, what if one person had used forkroot, while another had strangled her?  No, it couldn't be two different people.  Why hadn't the poisoner acted?  How did the strangler know she couldn't fight back?

Forkroot... now that was a bloody thing to die with in the system.  So helpless... he couldn't... well, he could imagine.

"Mat," Rand spoke up all of a sudden, then turned to one of his oldest friends.  "Your wife wants all Aes Sedai collared.  And the Seanchan have an endless supply of Forkroot.  This seems to point directly at the two of you."

Moraine, you seem quick enough to press others for lying. I know from Mat Cauthon that you were imprisoned inside the Tower of Ghenjei, do have some sort of insider information that you're not sharing with everyone? What knowledge or boons do you possess from those snakes and foxes?

*Turns to stare coldly at Egeanin*

"I was a prisoner. Do you expect them to give a boon to one they held captive?"

"You are seanchan, those who collar women who can channel.  You have known of forkroot for a long time and you are skilled with your hands. Where were you at lunchtime, when the Amrylin was killed?"

*Continues to stare at Egeanin until she is answered*

*Egeanin looks at Moiraine and Laras with indifference*

And do you expect me to believe a word you say Aes Sedai? I know you can't actually speak a lie but you are well versed in deception - I would have a straight sentence from you.

And you, cook, are lucky that I have been stripped of my rank and are of no import of the empire. A Blood would never stand to be spoken to like that.

Archived