DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Black Tower early in AMOL

Kelandon

We know, from what we have of Chapters 2-3, that we're going to see a fair bit of the Black Tower catching up to the present in the beginning of AMOL. (Right now, it's several days behind the rest of the storyline.) I've lost track of where we are, so in this post, I figure out what has just recently happened and how this might bear on what we're going to see in the early going of AMOL. I hope it will make the chapters a little more fun to read, because they'll be easier to understand. (A lot of this stuff has been happening in individual chapters and subplots for several books now, but it's been drowned in a lot of other major events.)

Here's a run-down of some of the major players.

LOGAIN

Facts

After he left the Salidar Aes Sedai in LoC, he went to the Black Tower and bonded two Aes Sedai. He also starts a pro-Logain, anti-Taim faction (WH Prologue, COT Prologue). He then leaves the Black Tower, ostensibly on a recruiting mission (COT Prologue), but actually to find Rand. He enlists Davram Bashere's help (COT Prologue, COT 24), grabs some Aes Sedai and Warders from Cairhien (COT Prologue), and travels to Rand (COT 24), who is in Algarin's manor in Tear. Rand sends him (with Bashere and Loial) to arrange for the meeting with the Daughter of the Nine Moons/Semirhage (COT 24 and Epilogue), then sends him away again.

Now we get an interesting sequence, worth a re-read before AMOL. Logain reports back to Rand (KOD 18). He has been to the Black Tower again, and he "sent all the men with bonded Aes Sedai except those" in Algarin's manor to Arad Doman and Illian (and I think at this point he picks up Donalo Sandomere, Mezar, and Welyn). He sent more than half of the Black Tower. At that time, he estimates Taim's faction at 41, with over 50 in his special classes. He fights against the Trolloc attack at Algarin's manor and deals with the aftermath (KOD 19-20), and he serves as an emissary to the Sea Folk, asking them to send food to Arad Doman (KOD 22). Logain goes with Rand to Semirhage (KOD 27) and is basically unscathed. Then he returns the sul'dam to Ebou Dar (TGS Prologue). This is the last we've seen of him.

Of Logain's loyalists who left with him before the Semirhage fight, Mezar returns, apparently changed (TOM 56). Welyn also returns, changed (AMOL 2-3), and Androl comes to believe that Logain is Taim's captive (AMOL 3).

Finally, we've been beaten over the head with Min's "glory to come" vision (twice in TSR, once in TFOH, once in COT, again in KOD).

Interpretation

Logain has loyalists both inside and outside the Black Tower, and he seems to have proven his loyalty to Rand (or at least his dislike of Taim and, implicitly, the Shadow) repeatedly, both by going to him when there was something wrong in the Black Tower (in COT) and by doing major errands for him even outside the Black Tower (dealings with Arad Doman and the Seanchan). The most obvious answer is that Logain, after he is freed by Androl, becomes the leader of a Rand-loyal faction within the Black Tower, possibly aided by Asha'man (and their bonded Aes Sedai) from outside the Black Tower, and drives out Taim and his Darkfriends. His glory comes from leading the Asha'man in the Last Battle and possibly some events leading up to it.

Here's the thing. Mezar has already been changed. Welyn has also been changed. If Logain is in captivity, either he's been changed or he's just about to be. I could see Androl rescuing him moments before the ritual is to take place, or I could see Androl rescuing him after it happens and then someone (Flinn? Nynaeve?) finding a way to Heal being Turned. The latter would be cooler, really. Sever him, Turn him, it doesn't matter; he's still Logain.

Here's the other thing. We know that the Black Tower plotline is some days behind the rest of the story. That means that we're still reading stuff from a few days before the big attack on Caemlyn, and Androl is planning his rescue "tonight." We know that the Black Tower plays essentially no role in the attack on Caemlyn, and Rand isn't thinking or saying anything about the Asha'man at that time, either. Whatever happens in the Black Tower has to be pretty darned self-contained in order for that to make any kind of sense. That also means that Rand is in for a hell of a surprise in his present; Caemlyn is burning, but he's going to get a lot more news before the night is over, most likely.

We also don't know — unless I've missed something — what exactly Logain was doing coming back to the Black Tower when he did, or how exactly he got captured. He may have some greater motive or purpose than anyone at this point is aware of. On the other hand, it may have been a routine scouting visit so that he can report back to Rand what's going on.

I was a bit confused why Logain equated being bonded to Aes Sedai as being loyal to him, but I think I have an answer to that. Alviarin made sure that "no Black sisters went with Toveine" (ACOS Prologue) on the expedition to the Black Tower, so the Asha'man who bonded Aes Sedai all bonded non-Black sisters. It's possible for a Darkfriend to bond non-Darkfriends (Asne did), but it's much trickier (look at the issues Eldrith had with Kennit), so it's pretty likely that Taim's crowd deliberately avoided bonding the Aes Sedai from the White Tower just because Darkfriends don't like bonding non-Darkfriends. Later, when the Turning starts (which we don't really hear about until late in TOM), Taim manages to get both Aes Sedai (Tarna) and Asha'man (Mezar), including those who are bonded to each other (Welyn and Jenare).

ANDROL/PEVARA

Facts

Androl has been one of Logain's loyalists since the beginning (WH Prologue). We know he is weak in the power, good at gateways, and good at leatherworking. He has a madness involving shadows. He takes leadership of the Logain faction in Logain's absence (TOM 46) and finds that gateways no longer work (TOM 56). Then he goes to Pevara (TOM 56). The next we see of them (AMOL Prologue), they're sizing each other up at Androl's place and considering an escape to the Salidar Aes Sedai outside. Androl talks them into planning a revolution instead. Then Pevara and Androl double-bond each other (AMOL 2), and Androl resolves to rescue Logain (AMOL 3).

Pevara started as one of Seaine's hunters for the Black Ajah, but that collapsed when the hunters found out that Elaida had not sent them after the Black Ajah after all (KOD Prologue) and she gets sent to the Black Tower to bond Asha'man instead. This was Tarna's idea (COT 22), and it gets Tsutama's sponsorship (KOD Prologue), although they don't make it widely known where they are going (TGS 46). She goes with a whole group of Aes Sedai to ask Taim for permission, and Taim ultimately agrees (KOD Epilogue). However, it's slow going, and Javindhra starts to become erratic and Tarna appears changed; Pevara also notices that gateways don't work (TOM 53). She joins up with Androl and participates in the double-bond.

Interpretation

The most obvious answer is that Androl and Pevara free Logain, somehow deal with Moridin's dreamspike in the Black Tower, and escape with Logain's loyalists or fight some sort of battle against Taim's toadies. I'm not completely sure what to make of the fact that Pevara started as a Black Ajah hunter, nor that she left the White Tower before Egwene took over; this may or may not matter.

TAIM

There's a lot of background about Taim, and a lot we don't know. After he was taken as a false Dragon by the Aes Sedai, he escaped, and everything about that episode is suspicious. He is some sort of Moridin flunky (wears his colors, repeats his LoC line, was introduced to the other Forsaken by Moridin in AMOL Prologue). He appears to be leading a mass effort to convert/Turn the Asha'man so that he has a new army of Dreadlords.

The obvious point is that there will be a big Logain/Taim confrontation. There may also be some sort of connection with Bashere: Logain spent a lot of time with Bashere, and Bashere has every reason to dislike Taim (he fought against him when Taim was a false Dragon, among other things). There may also be some sort of Moridin connection.

My guess is that Taim escapes; there ought to be at least one new Forsaken at the Last Battle, and we don't have anyone else other than Taim yet.

OTHERS

Way back (ACOS 41), Min said that Cadsuane was going to teach Rand and all the Asha'man something that they have to learn but that they won't like learning. This could be indirect; Cadsuane "teaching" Rand led to VoG, and the new Rand might then "teach" the Asha'man by going to them. On the other hand, there may be some sort of role for Cadsuane in the nightmare that will come to the Black Tower.

Around the same time (ACOS Prologue), Elaida Foretold, "The Black Tower will be rent in blood and fire, and sisters will walk its grounds." This is more likely to be related to the battle for the Black Tower that is coming; the Aes Sedai who are waiting outside (and the ones bonded to the absent Logain-allied Asha'man) are probably going to play some sort of role in the upcoming battle.

We also don't know a ton about the Aes Sedai outside the Black Tower. Lyrelle is one of them, but it doesn't look as though they include any major characters.

This all sounds like it's going to play out really interestingly in the next few chapters of AMOL, though.

Thanks for the summary. I just finished my re-read but its nice to get a concise summary of this 1 situation. Looking forward to it.

I think Glory for Logain will be as the ashaman amyrlin, equal to eggy + ofcourse victory and glory at and during the black tower fight + last battle.

I am curious about the aftermath. Aes Sedai will walk its grounds, but what will be the ashaman's views on rand? he left them there essentially. Logain has already voiced this. In additon Rand has acknowleged this failure. Theres not much time left, I wonder if he will submit and meet his toh to them or to logain? If this will be another conflict between them (albiet small) or if once logain is in charge, if its all sunshine and roses between rand and the ashaman. (hope not)

I think it's more likely going to be Perrin or an Aes Sedai who will take care of the dreamspike, since it can only be removed in the Dreaming World, as we saw with Perrin and his battle with Slayer over the dreamspike that ultimately winds up blocking Travelling in the White Tower for a time before Perrin destroys it. Perrin is one of the few people who could deal with a dreamspike in terms of moving it in the wolf dream, and the only other accomplished dreamwalker that could handle the task serving the Light is Egwene. I think once Logain is ultimately free, he will destroy Taim and his followers, then lead the men loyal to Rand on a march for Shayol Ghul. Either that or Logain gets free and goes to Rand for help, gathers his own loyal Ashaman and goes to raid the Black Tower and eliminate Taim and his Darkfriend cronies. 4 more days and we will know.

A big suprise would be if logain was a dark friend and his glory involved helping the shadow, but thats terribly unlikely.

Nice writeup only thing you missed was that Rand had sent naff with a disguise weave to the black tower so he will obviously play a part.

I have been thinking about the Logain/DF thing for a while, I think I even posted about it years ago under my former (and lost) name. I even thought he was Demandred for a while. I am pretty sure he is a good guy, and will destroy Taim, but who knows? I will! Next week!

I think it's more likely going to be Perrin or an Aes Sedai who will take care of the dreamspike, since it can only be removed in the Dreaming World, as we saw with Perrin and his battle with Slayer over the dreamspike that ultimately winds up blocking Travelling in the White Tower for a time before Perrin destroys it. Perrin is one of the few people who could deal with a dreamspike in terms of moving it in the wolf dream, and the only other accomplished dreamwalker that could handle the task serving the Light is Egwene.

Yeah, I wonder about this. I haven't tracked the dreamspike stuff terribly well... I wonder if the dreamspike might just stay put during the battle, really. They might just step outside its influence when they need to leave to go to TG.

only thing you missed was that Rand had sent naff with a disguise weave to the black tower so he will obviously play a part.

Good catch! Rand sends Naeff in TOM 51. Interestingly, Naeff was the one who had his madness cured by Nynaeve... I suspect that Androl will get the same service eventually. We don't know a ton more about Naeff, other than that he's been doing odd jobs for Rand for a bit.

There's also the issue, as discussed in another topic, of the Aes Sedai hanging out in Caemlyn at the Silver Swan. They're near enough to the Black Tower to play some role in it, but far enough that they don't have to.

I still insist "sisters will walk its grounds" points to a future BT/WT alliance.

I think, since Flinn independently discovered the healing of severing, that an AM (likely Flinn again, or Logain himself) will also discover madness healing.

And I assume Logain is going to learn the DO-severing trick that Rand did to Asmodean.

Which Aes Sedai are at the silver swan again? im pretty sure the naeff thing is before androl in aMOL. Right now i cant see it being revolved in a battle unless rand joins in, Because they pretty much have androl, pevara, naeff and then the remaining two rivers dedicated and the few ashaman left who havent been turned. I either see backup from the tower aes sedai out the front, a rescue and ecape where androl overcomes the gateway or Rand coming later. The tower drent in blood and sisters walk its ground could mean almost anything after how we got the Amyrlins anger foretelling.

Random thought, i like how pevara talks about aes sedai with decades of experience being able to storm the tower and then Androl shuts her down by saying they have no battle experience and thats all an ashaman is made for.

Also if all the Darkfriend Ashaman are in the last battle i hope they end up linking with the dark friend Aes sedai that escaped the tower.

I still insist "sisters will walk its grounds" points to a future BT/WT alliance.

I think, since Flinn independently discovered the healing of severing, that an AM (likely Flinn again, or Logain himself) will also discover madness healing.

And I assume Logain is going to learn the DO-severing trick that Rand did to Asmodean.

Bingo. That has been what I was thinking all along. The DO severing trick could come in mightily handily in the BT.

Also the 13x13 is too powerful a weapon not to have a parallel.

Is there anyway to reverse the 13X13 conversion???? I have been thinking about this a lot... Will all the turned 13X13 have to be killed or is there still someway to save them?? Maybe some ter'angreal or something.. I have a feeling that Rand with his new GOD-likes powers maybe able to reverse the damage...

We don't know. I believe RJ said that it was very unlikely for one to turn back to the Light unaided. I do think like you that if anything can bring a person who's been turned back to the Light, it would Rand, in the same manner that when he's around, people gain hope, are less fatigued, etc...

Great recap. Would have been awesome to see this stuff get played out over a couple of books, rather than a couple of chapters in AMOL. Not saying Elayne's succession in Andor and Faile's Shadio captivity wasn't equally important and, well, just riveting, but oh well....

If the White Tower gets destroyed by the Seanchan, Tar Valon will certainly fall. The remaining Aes Sedai may finally get over the hurdle of realizing that the key to their future, indeed, the future of the world, is to once again co-exist with men. So, the Sisters walking the grounds, may be a follow up battle where the power of the Seanchan is broken by the combined might of the male and female Aes Sedai.

Archived