DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY
Basel Gill

Brown Ajah Book Challenge 2013 (Discussion and questions)

As per a Study in Scarlet - yeah the flashback was a little dragged out, but it's the only one that has that in it.  My favorite Sherlock Holmes is Hound of the Baskervilles.

As per a Study in Scarlet - yeah the flashback was a little dragged out, but it's the only one that has that in it. My favorite Sherlock Holmes is Hound of the Baskervilles.

That's good! I won't mind getting to the next story then.

I found all the Animorphs-books available as free ebooks! I don't think I'll have any problem reaching my goal this year, lol. It's 54 books + several companion books.

Lol I loved the Animorph books! I used to imagine which animals I would imitate if I had their powers :tongue:

if they do I have to recalculate the goal. most of my reading these days is rereading and I never think of that as reading because it takes so much less concentration.

They only thing i'm not counting is Short Stories (unless its in a compilation, which I will count the whole thing as one) or children's story books. 

I'm counting the little house books bc they're good lit, and regular multi chapter books. I think you mean like golden books or curious George type stuff?

Yes, I mean children story books, like anything short of chapter books. I have a four year old and I read him stories all the time, but I won't be counting those in my list, though technically they are books. 

Honestly my outlook on it is its a personal challenge, so if you concider it a 'book' and you are proud to count it toward your goal go for it. You know what your standard is, and if you don't read AT ALL, maybe picking up a curious george book and getting all the way through it is an achievement for you. If so, go on and count it. 

At the same time, I'm a Green, and this a Brown Challenge, perhaps they will say otherwise, and if they wish to define 'book' for the purpose of this challenge we gotta go with what they say :) though I don't recall seeing such a description.

I do kinda feel better about myself realizing I'm not as brain dead as I'd thought. and it makes me feel like reading again. is good.

I was never crazy about curious George but I could get into some dr Seuss.

question - do re-reads count for the challenge?

I never saw a problem with re-reads. I've only done one re-read since joining DM but I've seen some people with quite a few on their lists.

I never saw a problem with re-reads. I've only done one re-read since joining DM but I've seen some people with quite a few on their lists.
:)

cool, thanks.

I haven't re-read WoT in a couple years but some books I read at least once a year.

Edited by cindy

I put reread in but I like to mark them to keep count.

Last year was really reread heavy for me as a lot of book series I liked had like the final book coming out and stuff so I did a lot a lot of rereads. This year I'm aiming to have less - the only rereads I have are books that I read like 5 years ago or so.

I'm all done with the second Mistborn book. Now I'm starting the 1632 novel I picked up (for free) at J-Con. Once that's done, I'll finally be done with all my J-Con books.

I didn't want to count re-reads.  But that's just personal preference.  Yet, I did count audiobooks.  So, I guess it's whatever you feel like counting. 

I only got "Defending Elysium" at J-Con and I haven't started reading it yet.  Right now I'm re-reading a Harry Potter fan-fic called "Stealing Harry."  :D 

This fan-fic is better than JKR's novels.  :P

Like Kathleen said, this is a personal challenge. Some people count rereads, some people don't. Some people count audiobooks and some don't. And so on. 

I personally don't count childrens' story books or childrens' chapter books that I read at work. 

I count rereads (they are my old friends) and audiobooks (as they are the only thing that gets me thru my work day) but I don't count the books I read to my son, he's also 4- so they are super simple books.

Edited by Izabella

I've been getting a lot of reading done while my nephew has been here. Not having as much computer access has led me to fill my time with a book. Friday and Saturday are going to be spent catching up to all the stuff I should have done the past week.

Edited by Basel Gill

it's been a long week. wish I'd catch up enough to read but I'm gonna try some more rereads... yes, old friends :) ... to get my brain back in gear.

there will definitely be catching up to do :)

I found all the Animorphs-books available as free ebooks! I don't think I'll have any problem reaching my goal this year, lol. It's 54 books + several companion books.

Lol I loved the Animorph books! I used to imagine which animals I would imitate if I had their powers :tongue:

Want me to send you a link so you can download and read them again? :biggrin:

I count them, because I am counting the complete amount of books I read; not how many new books. My budget doesn't allow for a lot of new books, so I read through my entire bookshelf almost every year, lol.

I jsut found this quote and I felt it fitted in here:

“It is a good rule after reading a new book, never to allow yourself another new one till you have read an old one in between.”
C.S. Lewis