DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Brown Ajah Book Challenge 2013 (Discussion and questions)

And congrats Kathleen! What sort of anthology is it?

Thanks! Its "a cross-genre collection written by Island Writers" so the cover says haha. I'm part of a local writing group and 22 of our 50 members got some poetry and short stories chosen to be published in this anthology. 

• Replies 726
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats, Kat!!

Well, 260-ish pages into Clash of Kings and there are four kings...and three of them are horribly inept...but I haven't met the fourth one yet.

And seriously...Bran...an 8 year-old, is a better king than all of them, even though he's not technically a king.

i think i'm going to start rereading Game of Thrones.... and I saw Oz today, and I must say that I really liked it...

Thanks for the happy notes above. 

I also saw Oz recently and now i'm thinking when i'm done the sherlock holmes books I may look into the Wizard of Oz books....maybe. Would it be worth it as an adult?

I'd say re-reading anything that you read when you were younger is worth reading as an adult.  Or reading children's books, too.  There are things in there that children don't get, and you can use critical thinking skills to eke out things to make them interesting.

I also saw Oz recently and now i'm thinking when i'm done the sherlock holmes books I may look into the Wizard of Oz books....maybe. Would it be worth it as an adult?

what are the wizard of oz books called??

i feel the need to watch the original movie now...

See I didn't read them as a child, so i dont know what to expect from them at all.

Well, I read a lot of children's books that I didn't read as a child.  I say give them a chance.

See I didn't read them as a child, so i dont know what to expect from them at all.

Well, I read a lot of children's books that I didn't read as a child.  I say give them a chance.

I've never read the Oz books, but if they sound interesting to you, then by all means give them a shot.

I'm starting to read The Malazan Book of the Fallen series by Steven Erikson. Heard a lot about it, it sounded good, so I bought all 10. About 100 pages into the first one, and it's good so far^_^

I'm starting to read The Malazan Book of the Fallen series by Steven Erikson. Heard a lot about it, it sounded good, so I bought all 10. About 100 pages into the first one, and it's good so far^_^

I've thought of starting this one at some point in the future.

You bought all 10 in the series before even reading the first?  Wow, you are adventurous, Sakaea!

I just finished Friday, by Heinlein.  Now I'm going to start Heinlein's Glory Road.  After that, probably reread MoL.  I need to reread it before JordanCon (to ask Brandon all sorts of questions), but the emotional toll was so great I'm a little hesitant to read it again.

I really enjoyed Friday.  It was the first Heinlein book I've read.  I tried Stranger in a Strange Land ages ago, but couldn't get into it.  My sister recommended Friday (and my dog's name is Friday  :D) so I gave it a try.  Only one thing bothered me though:

That Friday winds up marrying Pete, one of the men who raped her in the first chapter of the book! I couldn't get my head around this!

Other than that, it was fun and exciting.  I enjoyed all the characters.  I was surprised at all the sex, but I understand that's Heinlein's way.

I'm still working my way through the Dresden Files series.. on the 5th one now....

Just finished the newest book in a series I really like, been waiting for it over a year, so it felt gooooood to get it. And of course I read it in two days, lol. Can the next one come out now?! lol

I'm almost finished book 12 - Changes and I'm freaking out!!!!!!

So good.

Just finished the newest book in a series I really like, been waiting for it over a year, so it felt gooooood to get it. And of course I read it in two days, lol. Can the next one come out now?! lol

Which series? I'm waiting on my audible credits to come in so I can finish the Priestess of the White trilogy.

I just read my first Star Wars book series! *laughs* My warder recommended it to me, the Darth Bane trilogy, and it was really good! I was surprised at how much I liked it!

It's a series called The Black Dagger Brotherhood, I think I've posted about it before. It's about vampires, and this brotherhood of warriors who fight against their mortal enemy, the lessers. Each book also feautures a lovestory and some pretty steamy scenes ;) And the last one was so great because it feautured a gay couple of the first time (not that there hasn't been mentioned of gay people before, but the main lovestory was a gay couple), a story I've been wanting for like the 3 last books or something, and it was beautiful! And hot *grins*

Which series? I'm waiting on my audible credits to come in so I can finish the Priestess of the White trilogy.

I just read my first Star Wars book series! *laughs* My warder recommended it to me, the Darth Bane trilogy, and it was really good! I was surprised at how much I liked it!

i've been wanting to read about Bane for a while... just haven't been able to find any of the books where I live...

I began one of Terry Pratchett's Discworld books yesterday. I love his sense of humor, so far this is one of my favorites in the series.

I love discworld!

It's a series called The Black Dagger Brotherhood, I think I've posted about it before. It's about vampires, and this brotherhood of warriors who fight against their mortal enemy, the lessers. Each book also feautures a lovestory and some pretty steamy scenes ;) And the last one was so great because it feautured a gay couple of the first time (not that there hasn't been mentioned of gay people before, but the main lovestory was a gay couple), a story I've been wanting for like the 3 last books or something, and it was beautiful! And hot *grins*

Sounds like my kind of book!  I'm going to check it out! 

I personally feel that the gay community is under represented in the fantasy/sci-fi genre.  Maybe all genres, for that matter.  If a book features a gay couple, it gets put in the special "gay/lesbian" section of the bookstore.  I don't think that's fair.

When I read Mercedes Lackey's Enduring Flame trilogy, I totally thought the two main characters (both boys) were going to get together.  There seemed to be a lot of sexual and physical tension between them.  But of course, they didn't.  *pouts*

More than halfway through AMoL. Why is it going so slowly? *shakes fist at the brick of a book*

I'm also reading Foundation by Isaac Asimov. I might have mentioned that I joined a book club? Well, that was the book we picked. We're meeting on Monday and I just started reading it on... Wednesday, I think? Yay for starting things in time! I like it so far, though. I've never read much science fiction.