DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Prologue Through to the End of Chapter 20

Luckers

So, we've so far seen Sharans, what I assume was the Song (Rand in the Ebou Dar palace), the 13x13 trick, and a kind of sly refutation of the Demandred-as-Roedran theory.  Good stuff.

Quick question about the creatures working the forges at Thakandar:  did anyone else think they were robots?  Probably not, but they were described as neither alive nor dead, and then there was some metaphor that they performed like clockwork.  That may have just been an unfortunate metaphor, but it gave me a little steampunk-y feel.

Also, did it really bug anyone else that the Aes Sedai can't figure out better ways to use Gateways in battle?  We saw Androl use Gateways to great effect (like the video game Portal!), and Egwene saw Yukiri (IIRC) make the Gateway parallel to the ground.  How about every Aes Sedai make a Gateway to another place that looks similar to wherever they are, align it on the ground, and place it in front of a Trolloc charge?  Boom, instant death.

Wow the book is amazing so far, Things im guessing for the future as soon as the sharans turned to be bad i assume that seanchan will be the ones to take them out since those 2 are the 2 channeling nations with pretty much opposite views on the power.

Also i loved the roedral shut down so many people got fooled and terez who was probably the most avid supporter of it saying things as its no questions its him.

Demandred is my guess for the cause behind the sharans, sandersons quote of its not who hes is but what hes been upto, as well as him being to power hungry the greatest general wanting to be in charge of murandy? makes no sense. i thought that agelmer was going to be him even tho rand had met with him several times the way with his dodgey tactics.

Please you gotta be kidding me...

Chapter 20

Why don't the Aes Sedai mask their ability and reserve their weaves? Surely Egwene must have taught them the single most important tactical weaves vs other channelers.

Hiding next to a cart without masking her ability? Is that a joke right? Surely the Sharans wouldn't have a couple of channelers looking for women in hiding.

Chapter 20

Why don't the Aes Sedai mask their ability and reserve their weaves? Surely Egwene must have taught them the single most important tactical weaves vs other channelers.

Hiding next to a cart without masking her ability? Is that a joke right? Surely the Sharans wouldn't have a couple of channelers looking for women in hiding.

To do that, she would have to embrace the source first. Which would have given her away.

It is mentioned in p. 380

"She could use a weave to hide that ability, but would have to channel first to use it. Dared she try that?"

They are caught by surprise and it is a miracle that only a hundred or so Aes Sedai died.

I have several eye-blurring moments... When Moiraine came and Nynaeve hugged her, and when the Borderlanders rescue Lan.

Several funny moments, the best is Rand meeting Mat and Tuon. It is hilairous how Rand and Mat were competing in achievements. It was just like what Rand had said to Moiraine, that only Perrin managed to grow up. Rand was only pretending to grow up, while Mat doing the pretending poorly.

What I found disappointing is Lan-Moiraine off screen reunion. I was expecting another tear-jerker scene there...

Chapter 20

To do that, she would have to embrace the source first. Which would have given her away.

Sure, I've read that pitiful excuse of an explaining phrase myself.

She had no business not using it at the first place. They knew they could face dreadlords at any moment.

But even so, when she saw the gateway, her first instinct should have been to mask, or gateway out, not to drop the power.

What about the Sharans not finding an unmasked channeler in the middle of the camp?

I could be forgetting, but is Lan's thought on p. 358 about Baldhere the first gay reference in WoT history? Kind of struck me as I read it, but I never really payed attention to the tertiary character's love lives.

Yep, I think so. I never care about Baldhere anyway :D

Really liking the book so far, first time I was taken out of it was Rand/Mats interaction where they tried to one-up each other.  It read rather awkwardly. 

I thought it was 100% out of character for both of them. I didn't like it at all, but I did get a chuckle at the end of the chapter when Mat mentions being the one who saved Morraine.

I could be forgetting, but is Lan's thought on p. 358 about Baldhere the first gay reference in WoT history? Kind of struck me as I read it, but I never really payed attention to the tertiary character's love lives.

It's the first direct reference to male homosexuality, I believe. There is a more oblique reference in New Spring.

It's the first direct reference to male homosexuality, I believe. There is a more oblique reference in New Spring.

It is the first, Brandon said he was going to include that in the final book.

Archived