DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Is Mat's luck a tallent?

Leopoled Boothe

Its a product of his Taveren' date=' he remarks a few times after his memory is wiped by the dagger/healing, that he was somewhat lucky as a boy but nothing unusual. Its since the dagger and increasingly as time goes on his luck is becoming supernatural.[/quote']

Its some kind of aftereffect of his posession of the dagger from Shadar Logoth and the healing that rid him of its influence.

You can argue that his being Taveran led him to the dagger in the first place and therefore has had a direct influence into his luck, but I don't think its the direct cause of his freakish luck.

See I always read that because of the dagger/taint tampering with his soul, his taveren-ness wasn't apparent. When they healed him it restored his soul to its former (debatable) clean state and restored his taveren abilities. Although I have been curious about what that Ter'angreal of the dice in a row might do to him, or around him.

Mat's luck starts at the beginning of The Great Hunt. This is when he has been seperated from the dagger but not fully healed of it.

I don't think the healing has anything to do with his luck. Otherwise the Aes Sedai would know of this side effect. Or if it's true, would it be a side effect at all and not be something that the Aes Sedai would use? I mean if you had the power to make someone have the best luck in the world wouldn't you consider giving it to maybe the Amrylin Seat? Anyway...

Mat's luck is his taveren-ness. Rand has unexpected things happen around him, Perrin has being a wolf, and Mat has his luck. If Mat didn't have this luck would he even be tavern?

• 2 weeks later...
Mat's luck starts at the beginning of The Great Hunt. This is when he has been seperated from the dagger but not fully healed of it.

I don't think the healing has anything to do with his luck. Otherwise the Aes Sedai would know of this side effect.

The very fact that it is a side effect though would surely mean the Aes Sedai wouldn't know. I agree that the dagger was the primary cause of increasing his luck though. Or more accurately the effect of being exposed to it's power (since the daggers ultimate effect was evil rather than good). The Aes Sedai may have helped in that their healing removed the negative affects of the daggers influence, posibly even altering some of it's negative influence to positive translating into his immense luck.

I believe the luck was always a part of him though. The dagger (or events resulting from it) just brought it into greater affect.

Archived