DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Question / explanation

Ishy_Reborn

So, I started lurking again about a year ago. I finely made a new user name a month or so ago when I couldn't remember my login details and I have some questions !

A) why do a lot of people think Bashere is a dark friend? It seems totally out of context with his character.

B) What has led some people to think Roderan is Demandred ? Process of elimination?

C) Cadsuane: like / dislike?! I love her and I did not like a lot of the strong female characters RJ wrote. So it is both interesting to me that BS struggles with her but excels with Nynaeve. (I do consider her a bully who views herself beyond reproach btw insofar as the discussion on the other thread so I don't think it is completely out of character)

D) Will Jesus Sedai I mean Rand actually die and be resurrected after 3 days or is the merging of the two identities to form Jesus Sedai the symbolic death of rand?! I would kind of prefer the latter...

E) Can someone talk Tor, Harriet et al to put the book up forsake via kindle tonight because I'm off till Jan 3rd for the holidays and my lurking the theory board is getting out of control.

So, I started lurking again about a year ago. I finely made a new user name a month or so ago when I couldn't remember my login details and I have some questions !

A) why do a lot of people think Bashere is a dark friend? It seems totally out of context with his character.

Mostly because they want him to be one and think it would be cool. And Min's 'something dark' viewing. And a certain perception of probability...

B) What has led some people to think Roderan is Demandred ? Process of elimination?

Mostly, yes. But once one embraces the idea it turns out there is a lot going for it, not just in terms of evidence in the books, but also in terms of Demandred's character. Demandred did not think much of Sammael's need to have every eye on him.

C) Cadsuane: like / dislike?!

Like.

D) Will Jesus Sedai I mean Rand actually die and be resurrected after 3 days or is the merging of the two identities to form Jesus Sedai the symbolic death of rand?! I would kind of prefer the latter...

The evidence points toward the former. Very loudly, yet in a very subtle way, particularly in the Irish mythology scattered through the books. Obviously there are elements of Jesus and Artur and Norse myths and Slavic myths in Rand's death, but the Irish mythology appears to foreshadow the specific method of his resurrection.

E) Can someone talk Tor, Harriet et al to put the book up forsake via kindle tonight because I'm off till Jan 3rd for the holidays and my lurking the theory board is getting out of control.

lol. Good luck with that.

Subjective and rather arbitrary ?

Refer to pages and pages of discussion on BS vs RJ also on this board.

I am sorry if I misunderstood the purpose of this particular board and viewed it as post ToM thoughts in reference to the above post the Rand question in particular revolves around what may take place in A memory of light?

Min has a viewing about there being 'something dark' about Bashere, and how if he dies, or turns against Rand, it would be bad. In addition she has seen the Broken Crown around Perrin (and for that to happen Bashere needs to either die, or be invalidated from the succession).

It's obviously very weak--I don't see it much in Bashere's depiction as we've seen it. I personally like it mostly because everyone became so certain Bashere was going to die with Tenobia--but this solves all the necessary points as well. Feels like a Jordanesque twist.

I would tend to agree with you Luckers that there isn't a lot to go on. It has always made me scratch my head that so many folks tend to believe he is a darkfriend. In regards to the broken crown and Perrin I am of the mind that he will likely die or potentially abdicate in lieu of Perrin & faile in favor of retirement and selling some of those peppers faile used to tell Perrin about

I don't think Bashere is a darkfriend. Never have bought into that.

I think Roedran may be Demandred because of process of elimination. We've never met the King, but we've heard of him. No armies or attacks have come from Murandy and they even hired the Band to protect their borders when the Aes Sedai were traveling from Salidar instead of using his own armies.

I personally love Cadsuane. I think she is everything an Aes Sedai is supposed to be. A lot of them are hyped up by reputation alone just because they can channel. Cadsuane is old school and is what I would imagine an Aes Sedai to be. A powerful, knowledgeable, living legend who is capable of command and she says what she means and follows up her words with actions. She is awesome!!!

I'm not sure what to make of the whole Rand thing yet. I think he must die and be brought back to life. I think Nyneave will do this because of all of the foreshadowing about her healing death. I disagree with the body swap theory, but that's for reasons of my own.

Cannot wait for the last book!!!

Subjective and rather arbitrary ?

Refer to pages and pages of discussion on BS vs RJ also on this board.

I am sorry if I misunderstood the purpose of this particular board and viewed it as post ToM thoughts in reference to the above post the Rand question in particular revolves around what may take place in A memory of light?

No, I don't think it is arbitrary. Just to clarify, I wasn't chastising you, I simply moved it to the proper place.

The spoiler board exists to discuss spoiler material. In these questions, I can identify no element that would call for that. There's no reason not to discuss predictions for AMoL in the general board, as long as they don't pivot around the excerpts (as is the case here).

In contrast, what you see about Brandon's performance started as a debate of the quality of the excerpts. We couldn't conduct it in general, or we would've. We don't want to exclude those who wish to avoid spoilers, after all.

Archived