DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

How many Wolfbrothers are there?

Carnacarn

There was a third, I can not remember his name.  Perrin freed him and is the main reason he has his struggle with the whole wolfbrother thing and the fear of losing himself.

That man died and is now Boundless in the wolf dream. I do find it odd that no females have had this ability manifest. Most things are equal of a sort in the series.

There was a third, I can not remember his name.  Perrin freed him and is the main reason he has his struggle with the whole wolfbrother thing and the fear of losing himself.

That man died and is now Boundless in the wolf dream. I do find it odd that no females have had this ability manifest. Most things are equal of a sort in the series.

I believe RJ or Brandon said there are wolfsisters. We've only had three wolfbrothers do far.

Yeah, Stevros. I hit the "L" instead of the "M". That's funny. Usually when you misspell a word it don't look like that. Except at my job where we have to type "account" a lot. When you miss the "o" in that word the women in here all take it personal!!!

Don't really see how you could consider that a PR thing. Jordan used Wolf Brother's very sparingly and they're rare. One of our main characters is one. By nature of the story he had a mentor, and to put the fear of control issues in we introduce the one that went full wolf.

The only one who's gender could reasonably be changed is Noam. I suppose Perrin could have been a woman, but by book three it's a little late. Elyas had to be a man by nature of being a Warder and the whole Elayne's choice being the first female warder around. So he could have written Noam as a woman and then suffered the firestorm of showing a female as "Weaker" than the males by losing herself, or showing a depiction of abuse towards her. It's just simpler to make him a male and the gender really has no applicable impact to the story at all.

So no, I can't really see how someone saying "There are wolfsisters, there just hasn't been any purpose in adding them to the story to date." as a PR stunt.

There were plenty of opportunities for say, one of the wolves to say that we used to run with men and women of your species or some such, instead what we get is is that is a long time since they hunted with man, which includes women when you are talking about the human race, but after that we just meet 3 men who run with wolves.

It could have been made clear in many of the dlalogues that Perrin has with wolves, but it was not, that's why I think it was like "uhh, ya, of course there are wolf sisters" takes a drink of coffee and hope the female fan attributes the gulp to drinking instead of nerves.

So given an Author with an immense level of detailed notes and world building, part of which is specifically focused on gender issues.. We're given the following choice of reason for no Wolf Sister.

"There just hasn't been any need for one and so it hasn't come up."

or

"There really aren't any, but I just now realized that could be taken badly, so oops, I'll lie and toss em in."

And you're choosing the second option?

It's not that I find it wierd for such a situation to occur, It's that I find it wholely unbelievable to think such a situation occurred for Jordan given the focus and themes of WoT.

I think this is one of those questions that is better left unanswered. Wolfsisters didn't fit into the story for the bulk of the series, so naturally they aren't known about. If all things being equal in RJ's world, there probably were, he just never introduced them at any point. Maybe some will make an appearance in AMoL at the Last Battle, you never know.

He really said there are "wolfsisters"? Curious. I always thought that the wolfbrothers were the balance for the all female dreamwalkers.

Men can walk in the dream, as the Forsaken have proven (Moridin can enter the dreaming world), however they don't seem to have the control over it that women do. Both Perrin and Slayer can walk in the dream with ease, though Perrin still seems a bit ignorant on how to enter and control the dreaming world  (though he has learned quite a bit, he will never have the control that Egwene or Lanfear have) and Slayer is a combination of some foul thing created by the Shadow so of course he would be powerful in a non physical world.

He really said there are "wolfsisters"? Curious. I always thought that the wolfbrothers were the balance for the all female dreamwalkers.

Men can walk in the dream, as the Forsaken have proven, however they don't seem to have the control over it that women do. Both Perrin and Slayer can walk in the dream with ease, though Perrin still seems a bit ignorant on how to enter and control the dreaming world  (though he has learned quite a bit, he will never have the control that Egwene or Lanfear have) and Slayer is a combination of some foul thing created by the Shadow so of course he would be powerful in a non physical world.

The thing is for the forsaken how did they get there? Are they there in the flesh? Did they use a dream ter'angreal? Dreamwalkers require neither, in fact they don't even have to be able to channel.

Edit: Brandon was clear in that there is only one male dreamer among the forsaken not dreamwalker actually I guess there could be more.

We also have this specifcially in relation to entering Tar...

BRANDON SANDERSON

In choosing the Forsaken, the Dark One was careful...um, the very nature of it led to people with great talent in many areas being chosen. They are extraordinary in many areas, and having talents that others do not have, beyond being powerful channelers.

TEREZ

We're talking about the thirteen that were at Shayol Ghul...

BRANDON SANDERSON

Yeah. ...This is what led to them being at the top of the heap. That said, I do believe that, among the Forsaken, there are some who had to use gateways to get there...but the majority of the Forsaken are very talented in many areas.

Taim's Talent is that he is alive and all the male Forsaken except Demandred and Moridin are dead, and really only Demandred among the original 13 from Shayol Ghul has not been killed or soul-trapped(Mog being the only other who has not been killed but her defeat and enslavement may as well drop her from the list).  He has also succeeded in creating an army of dreadlords.

As to wolfsisters, there is a good chance that a woman who might have become one simply never came in close enough contact with wolves for the Talent to develop.  Men are far more likely to venture out into the woods either to hunt or log increasing their chances of making contact.

Archived