DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Gareth Bryne / Great Captains

bigdoug1971

Aside from commanding Andor's armies, what makes Gareth Bryne a Great Captain?  I understand the other Captains and what they have done to earn the title.  I can even understand Pedron Niall, though I think he should have the title to a lesser degree.  (Never fought shadowspawn like the others).

I always assumed that leading your men, winning battles, and being a very good tactician would earn you the title and respect of everyone.  I've yet to see, in New Spring, the Big White Book, or any of the other 13 novels anything that should denote Gareth Bryne to be a Great Captain. 

Thoughts???

I look at him the same way I look at the Seanchan.

Yeah, being Lee or Rommel or Hannibal is great, but being Grant or Zhukov or Scipio is just as good, if not better.

People don't realize that getting your resources to bear to defeat an enemy is just as difficult and just as great as being a brilliant tactician.

The Great Captains are: Agelmar, Bashere, Ituralde, Bryne, and Niall. We don't see much of what makes any of them a GC except Ituralde. So the question on Bryne could be asked of any of the other 3 who have the title but not the details.

Bryne served 3 Andoran queens. He fought wars against other kingdoms (Cairhien, Murandy, and maybe Tear). He was a captain in the Aiel War as well. What we see him do "on screen" is build a strong army and assault the greatest fortress and most powerful entity in Randland: The White Tower. We also see him command an infiltration into the WT to rescue Egwene. And I am convinced we will see more of his military expertise in AMoL.

Archived