DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

linking with the crystal sword

mike hunt's here

Forgive me please if this answer was already revealed and point me there...

But how far (physically) do channellers require to be to form a link and or hold/maintain a link?

I thought of this when reading about Rand needing two women with Calendor, and also the Pevera / Androl thing..

If you look at the cover, I'm going to assume Rand is already Linked with Nyn and Mo, and then going to dance with the DO, and he's way far away from them...haha.

but seriously - if the story plays out that way, do Mo and Nyn have to enter Shayol Ghul with him and stand side by side the whole time?

Or can they form a circle at FoM, then Rand Travels to the blight to take care of bidness?

i don't believe it's ever mentioned how far another one has to be to start a link, i just assumed they at least have to be close to you.

once a circle is formed people in the link can go as far as they want, even go to sleep, and the link won't break as long as it's maintained. though distance will apparently diminish the amount of power linked people can contribute to a circle

nynaeve and moiraine don't have to go inside with rand, but i think they will anyway. if they stay in FoM the amount of OP contributed won't be as much as if for example they stand outside shayol ghul

Seconded above posters - can't provide a link but I'm certain that you can remain linked across the globe, but the power you provide diminishes with distance. 

In this case Moiraine and Nyn would have to stay near Rand as while he holds the link then they're completely vulnerable and powerless (with the power) to defend themselves - not a position you want to be in, in the Last Battle :)

Incidentally doesn't Cads say that the only safe way for Rand to use Callandor is in a circle with 2 women, while 1 of the women guides the flows?  I'm going to have to assume that this no longer applies now that saidin has been cleansed, else what's the point of being the DR, any strong male channeler could provide the strength required.

If you want the link, it is an Elayne PoV when they are using the Bowl of Winds. The Cads making it safe part was to counteract the wildness of mind that using it produces, whether that is a product of the sa'angreal flaw itself or just because of the magnification of the taint is to be seen. I lean towards the former because it explains why he still needs Moir and Nyn in aMoL.

I think their still needs to be a circle of 3, but I'm really hoping that Rand's in control - else I really don't see what the big deal is about him being the DR.  Would make more sense for whichever of the women lead to be DR. 

Incidentally I just found this, which may amount to foreshadowing (I'm not entirely sure what counts and what doesn't) and has probably been picked up by countless others, but it's one I've spotted that I haven't read about yet...

"The sparks, Rand. She [Nynaeve] met Mistress Alys coming in, and there were sparks, with just the two of them. Yesterday I couldn't see sparks without at least three or four of you together, but today it's all sharper, and more furious." She looked at Rand's friends, waiting impatiently, and shivered before turning back to him. "It's almost a wonder the inn doesn't catch fire. You're all in more danger today than yesterday. Since she came."

Considering that it's almost certainly going to be Nynaeve and Moiraine at the Bore with Rand, I thought this was good, and links them together right from the start.

Archived