DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Founding of Andor

zerachiel76

This discussion started in another thread and I think I've stumbled across something a bit weird. Possibly a contradiction or maybe an oversight.

The World of the Wheel of Time page 136 states that "Additionally he (Hawkwing) divided all of the nations into provinces which ofttimes overlapped old national boundaries. While lower level functionaries in any province always came from the same region, no-one was appointed governor over a province that held any part of the nation they had been born in and he made certain that soldiers garrisoned in a province always came from still another region of the empire. This made it impossible for any governor to build a personal base of power".

However on page 168 it states "Ishara declared Andor as a sovereign nation and took the title as Queen, but she was no stranger to royalty, the former governor, Ishara's mother, had been the daughter of the last King of Aldeshar before Hawkwing conquered it." 

Ishara's mother might not have been born in the part of Aldeshar which was subsumed into Andor after Hawkwing conquered it. However this does seem a little strange considering the blanket statement about no governor coming from the land they were born in as I would have thought that Ishara's mother would have been born in Aldeshar considering her father was it's king. However I know they don't necessarily follow.

Another strange point I need to consider is on page 159 in the same book. "His initial treatment of Aldeshar, the last nation to fall to him was certainly cruel: no prisoners taken in a number of battles, the displacement of nearly the whole population to other parts of the empire, the confiscation of all estates with the whole nobility and the entire merchant class reduced to penury and scattered to every corner of the empire." Then further down the same page it states "At her (Tamika) behest relented in his treatment of Aldeshar, allowing the people to return, restoring confiscated estates and titles"

Now while he restored the nobles estates and titles, what did he do with the royal family? He couldn't restore them as Aldeshar didn't exist any more? Maybe he made the kings daughter the governor of the region which included Aldeshar in an attempt to restore the royal family to some kind of power in the same way he restored the estates and titles of Aldeshar's nobles.

What do people think about this strange seeming contradiction about Ishara's mother being descended from Aldeshar's last King and yet no governor was allowed to be born in the land they were governing? Has this question been asked and answered before?

the provinces I woulod guess were significantly smaller than the modern countries, probably comparable to the sizes of the old countries., and in similar positions, maybe just a few border changes,. Yea looking at it they probably only had the area that Caembarin occupied.

Archived