DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Using Callandor

Vassili

Sort of quick question... Everyone assumes that Callandor must be used in a circle with two women and one man. Since this type of circle must be lead by a woman, Rand cannot be in control. The purpose behind using this circle is to:

1) provide a buffer so the wielders aren't burnt out by mistake, and

2) to allow a woman to use Callandor which magnified the taint and created erratic behavior in men.

However, without the taint, the second reason is irrelevant. The first is still important, though Rand appears capable of using Callandor without severing himself. But if creating a buffer is of concern, there is another circle of three that could be used: two men and one woman. This circle is possible, even though it is the only circle to have more men than women. And a man can lead it. So, why can't Rand, Nyn, and maybe Narishma (who has been tied to Callandor before) carry out the deed with Rand in control?

However, Min told Rand that Callandor could be defective in a much worse manner. Even, with Nynaeve and Moiraine, he would be under attack which he cannot stop while he is using Callandor. I am sure that Callandor will bring Rand's death but also could seal the bore.

Since this type of circle must be lead by a woman, Rand cannot be in control.

I know we have contradicting rules on this but this is not true. Flinn led the circle with Corele and Sarene back in WH.

And I don't think post-taint, Rand absolutely has to be in a circle to use it because as you say the second reason is irrelevant. He should be safe without needing a buffer if he is careful. It's riskier than with other angreal but still usable. However, Rand needs to use both saidin and saidar, so he must be in a circle. I don't know why it specifically needs to be a one man-two woman circle though.

We know that Saidar is required to seal the Bore. or at least attempt to without letting the DO strike back too hard. We are also aware of one flaw in Callandor, and Min suspects another. Also, we know that Moiraine must be there in order for Rand to succeed, as Min has seen. Does Nyn have a role? I think she does, but I also think that the need for Saidar is very very strong. Maybe more saidar is needed, I think it is.

We know that Saidar is required to seal the Bore. or at least attempt to without letting the DO strike back too hard.

It's very possible both powers will be needed to seal the bore but what makes you say that about the DO? In fact it's a "lucky thing" Saidar wasn't used the first time around or it would have been tainted as well.

We know that Saidar is required to seal the Bore. or at least attempt to without letting the DO strike back too hard.

It's very possible both powers will be needed to seal the bore but what makes you say that about the DO? In fact it's a "lucky thing" Saidar wasn't used the first time around or it would have been tainted as well.

Now has anyone considered this? When Lewis Therrin sealed the bore he only used sadin which allowed the DO to taint it

ie (DO|Sadin)

Because he was imprisioned with sadin he could taint it so even if he was trapped with both ie (DO|Sadin/saidar) couldnt he taint both? if not y?

Now when rand is granted access to the true power couldnt he use that as a buffer inbetween his weaves and the DO?

ie(DO|TP|sadin/saidar)

As to prevent the tainting of either side of the one power ? To me that is the only way i can see it happening without everyone not being able to channel... IMO

Thoughts?BS or worthwhile thought?

Archived