DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Macura woman's reports

spoke

When Nyn and Elayne are drugged by forkroot, there are three pigeons sent. One goes north, one goes west, and one goes in a different directions. The first two are obvious that they are being sent as is her instructions as an Eyes and Ears of the yellow Ajah. The third one makes a little sense. The other direction is obviously not stated as it was sent by someone who was spying on her reports.

If it was sent to Pedron Nial, why would the whitecloaks not jump on her and her connections to TarValon, and further, the whitecloaks did not seem to find out about forkroot until after the seanchan did, which also suggests that this is not the possibility.

If it was sent by someone as an agent of another Ajah, why is it not going the same direction as the bird sent directly to TarValon.

So my question is, where or to whom was this last report sent?

In addition to the already mentioned possibilities of DFs and Seanchan it could still be that it was sent to the Whitecloacks. Ronde Macura didn't have to mention forkroot in her message in which case the person who copied it and sent the third pigeon wouldn't know anything about it.

Well, if one went north, another west, then what does that leave? South, there isn't much. Back east is Tanchico. Tar Valon is more North-West, but if RJ wants to call that North, then that really limits anything else "north". That goes for "West" as well. Everything is pretty much "west" and "north" of where they are. So, "another direction" either means it went to the Seanchan (but the Seanchan hadn't taken Tarabon at this point, so it doesn't make sense they would have already set up a network of agents), or at least out to sea, or we have to assume it could have gone any direction, including north or west. Maybe Amadicia makes sense, if the Whitecloaks are happy to let the small fish (Macura) go unmolested in order to catch a bigger fish (an AS), but Amadicia is "west" too, so who knows?

I always assumed it was a Darkfriend who copied the letter. If it was a darkfriend, then it only makes sense he was ordered to do so by the BA, since they would know who most/all of the AS agents are. It must've been a standing order of some sort (it wouldn't make sense to tell all DFs in an area "if you see a message about Elayne and Nyn then send it here, otherwise send stuff there), so it makes sense that the recipient is a BA member with a semi-permenant residence other than TV. A Forsaken could have taken over a BA's agent, but it seems like they would rather let the BA manage it and just force the BA to hand over the intel.

So, in short, I have no idea, but the way it was phrased really leaves it up in the air in regards to final recipient. I think it was just to further set the impression that the shadow has eyes and ears everywhere and can strike from anywhere.

Archived