DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

other books to read

O.o Jack K5 o.O

there are a couple of "i need a new series" threads around. here are a couple of non-fantasy books that i think you all should read.

Fight Club (probably one of the best books of the 20th century)

choke - not as important as fight club, but damn good.

Battle Royal - before it was a movie or manga it was a novel. it is on a level of description that rivals RJ. its twisted, but its great. watchig those kids snap makes me smile way down in the bottom of my heart.

a brief history of time - its rather tough to understand everything in it, but the bits that you can are really neato.

if youve read these and agree please post.

if youve read these and disagree please post.

if you have anything else that should be added, and im sure you do, PLEASE POST!

I've read fight club and choke, they were both good, i thought lullaby was the best though, it was hillarious if you think people dying can be funny...

Battle Royal is on my list of movies to see, i really want to watch it, but havn't gotten around to it.

I'll just post some books i think are good

Shogun by James Clavell, the book is 1200 pages of sheer genius. The greatest book i have ever read. Its the story of an English privateer shipwrecked in Japan which is on the brink of civil war in the year 1600. Its kinda funny because your perspective of the war is through the eyes of John Blackthorn who is really a puppet. Its an amazing book with Samurai fight scenes awsome navel scenes etc. A great read.

The rest of that series is good too, they are all historicle fiction, Tai'Pan, Gai'Jan Noble House, King Rat and Whirlwind.

Battle Royale is a great movie and a great book. The film is rather different though. The book is science fiction, set in the near future in a parallel universe where Japan has been under the totalitarian domination of a massive empire for generations (it's ambiguous if Japan conquered China to forge this empire, or vice versa) and the backdrop to the game is more convncing. The film's setting and background is far more ambiguous. However, the characters are pretty similar. The movie works because it nails the types of gangs and peer groups that exist in schools and merely transplants it to a different - and more deadly - setting.

The sequel to the movie, Requiem, is unfortunately rubbish because it's simply an excuse for gore and violence. The original has a rationale for what is happening. The sequel does not.

i really felt that they transplanted the book rather well. most of the scenes that were in the book were in the movie, aside from my favorite. the one where the girl is being threatend of rape. i forget some of the details, but she gets behind her asailent, and jabs her thumb and middle finger into his eye sockets to the seccond knuckle, poping his eye balls. he collapses onto the ground in pain. she then stamps down on his jewels poping them. he curls into the fetal position screaming in agony. NOTE: her weapon was an ice pick. she then rolls him onto his back and jabs said ice pick into the back of his throat killing him.

i nearly vomited when i read this scene it was soo detailed. for that i refuse to read 'guts' but Chuck.

aside from the premisce of the games the movie seemed to ecmompase all of what was in the book. but like most things the book was way better. more background on the characters. though i did like the movies representation of the "informant" that person who tells the students whats going to happen. a happy go lucky azn woman! how terribly silly. and when the teacher, for the life of me i cannot remember his name, throws that knife into the girls head, and when he pulls it out it goes "shing!" i rolled on the floor screaming "rofl!" personally doing that is funnier than actuall rolling on the floor laughing.

i cannot wait for his next book. did you all know that up until a few years ago majic mushrooms were completely legal in japan? i wonder if thats why new anime isnt as good as some of the older stuff like Akira? it at least explains how Akira came into being. boy do i love that anime. best one ever.

i liked the premisce of lullaby, but i hated that girl...whats her name? i want to call her page, but thats the girl from choke isnt it? whatever the tacky one that likes antiques. i just hated her soo much i couldnt finish it.

Archived