DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

When you least expect it (Cloud)

Leala Sedai

The thaw of spring had turned into summer. Aldeyza was somewhere in the mountains east of Tarabon. She didn't know what they were called or how far they went. She had never needed a map at home, so she assumed that she wouldn't need one to get as far away from home as possible. She had been in the mountains for a week or so. It was slow traveling, but it was beautiful! She hated to admit it, but the wolves in her head were a welcome comfort from all these days traveling without a companion. Was she the only person in the world with golden eyes that talked to wolves? Something told her no. But at the same time, if she was the only person in the world assigned to this fate...what under the Light was there to live for? She shook her head, banishing the thought. No, she couldn't think like that. Thoughts like that were giving up.

Deyza took in a breath and stood up. She bundled her small belongings into her cloak except for her knife and her sling-shot. Her clothes were earthy colors, and she knew how to move silently. There was one wolf nearby that sent her images of game ahead. It was so strange how they seemed to pick up on her mood. She tried not to let that show, because the wolves would sometimes laugh at her for thoughts like that. This wolf was a young strong male who was doing some hunting of his own. Meet was good, but sometimes she craved things like bread and cheese. She'd probably have to go into town when she found one.

Looking up, she saw the sun was past its highest point. She would need to start hunting soon. Once the sun was gone, so was most of her game.

Slowly and silently, Deyza crept through the woods, hiding her presence as best as possible.

~~~

After an hour passed, she had a rabbit and a squirrel bundled up in her things, hidden away from prying noses. She set out again, now with the sun getting dangerously close to the horizon. If she wanted to trade for anything, she needed to have more than a rabbit and a squirrel.

Deyza went down a different path this time, slowly and quietly so she didn't startle any creatures. She found a good place to hide in some high brush from the forest floor. She crouched, then flattened her stomach against the ground. Then, almost immediately, she heard someone approach. They had two legs, not four. When she first saw the white hair, she thought she was looking at an old man, but when he turned his head, she saw a young boy, maybe four or five years younger than her. She slowed her breathing. Maybe that town was closer than she thought. Wolves normally avoided people, and from how far spread out they were, she had assumed she had a day or so before she reached one. Either way, she didn't want to see another person for a while.

• 3 weeks later...

Qual was hunting through the high mountain grass, trying to keep a wary eye for any movement. His leather shoes made almost no sound on the muddy terrain. The soft summer wind blew past the high grass, ruffling his dark green cloak, but he didn’t notice. He slowed his breathing and tried to focus at the best of his ability. The only important thing was the rabbit that sat within a stone’s reach away. Qual came to a slow stop and knocked a stone arrow at his short bow, eyeing the rabbit. He drew, and as the cord cut in his hand, a drop of sweat ran across his forehead. He released the arrow, letting it fly towards death.

~~~

That’s gonna fit nicely into the stew Qual thought to himself as he looked at the two dead rabbits in his pouch. At least it will be enough for today.

He began walking past the small forest road back to the Band’s camp. As Qual looked up to the sky he saw that the sun was hanging dangerously close to the horizon. Already this late? I guess I have been gone for longer than I thought. I need to hurry back before it gets dark, they might have started to worry about me. These mountains are infamous for their bandit raids after all.

As Qual was running back to the camp he noticed a small movement in a nearby brush. He smiled to himself, so the Band’s fabled luck might exist after all. He knocked another arrow, ready to fire upon the unlucky creature that was trying to hide from him. As Qual drew the arrow, he noticed some strange golden lights floating in the bush. He hesitated, but before he could fire this last arrow he heard a dangerous growl behind him. He turned around with lightning speed, dropping the bow and drawing his dagger.

(Sorry for the late reply. I was really busy and then forgot I still had this RP >.> I will be able to finish this short RP if you are willing to continue)