DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The "I just played..." Thread

SinisterDeath

• Community Administrator

I've picked up Disgaea 5 again, on PC. 
I bought it awhile back, played a few hours, but I started up again.

The game is tactical RPG, that is quite literally a one big grind... And you're grinding to get the biggest numbers.

Level cap is 9999, maximum damage somewhere around 3 Trillion.

Edited by SinisterDeath

@Quibby now that you've had a few more days, any further thoughts on the game?

I finally finished Witcher 3 and I've been playing Outer Worlds.  It's pretty fun; far more tight in narrative and ordered in scope.  There's not much reward for exploring the world beyond finding ammo or bits and while it's pretty it's not revolutionary graphics-wise.  It has a few new gameplay quirks that are cool like flaws, and I like the dialogue options and skill tree.  I do enjoy that it doesn't make me feel like I'm missing out by not exploring and there aren't a cosmic shit ton of sidequests to explore.  

Edited by Krakalakachkn

Merge dragons and wizards unite

I rather like merge dragons I often quit games after some weeks and find new one but there is enough elements in that one too keep it interesting

Still early days with the HP game we will see, its better then pokemon version as its actually posible to get stuff done without being out and about all the time

• 2 weeks later...

Had a while now to really get into the game.

Holy crap, story.  Recent Star Wars games are all multiplayer with a campaign thrown in as almost an afterthought.  Fallen Order is a single-player game through and through, and it's glorious.  Gameplay is what would happen if you threw Dark Souls-style difficulty into an exploration game like the recent Tomb Raider games.  I unfortunately went into the game playing it as if I was playing a Dark Souls game: dodging all of the attacks and hitting when the enemy was recovering from their attack.

That doesn't work.  At all.  In the least.

Fallen Order is all about blocking and parrying, with extra emphasis on the parrying.  If you keep dodging all the time, you'll take a long time to get anywhere in the best of circumstances.  Worst-case scenario?  You will be squished.  Constantly.  A lot.  Painfully.  I'm playing on the second-lowest difficulty setting, and I occasionally find myself struggling, mostly because I'm occasionally still trying to instinctively play it like a Dark Souls game with dodging instead of parrying.  For a clearer picture of how much of a difference that makes, I made six runs at a boss battle using the dodging method and got squished every time without doing any real damage.  I started trying to 'git gud' at parrying, and it took me two runs with the first run still doing about 75% damage.

If you want a challenge similar to a Dark Souls game, but with emphasis on a different mechanic and with laser swords, I strongly recommend this one.  I especially like the exploration aspect of this game.

All that being said, I hate how all games seem to include spider enemies.  Fallen Order is no different, and you'll get sick of seeing 'em eventually.

• 10 months later...

I recently started playing Northgard.

https://northgard.net/

It is very different to the strategy games which I usually play and I initially found it very difficult to adapt. 

Your settlement has an outgoing and increasing monetary, food, wood and happiness upkeep.  Map tiles are revealed by scouting and you have to purchase them to build or get supplies and the cost of purchasing tiles increases exponentially.  Tiles can only have a set number of buildings, which requires forethought.  You must conquer or own a tile to move your army onto a neighbouring map tile.

The Hero bonuses, clan bonuses and leveling upgrades you choose have a drastic effect on your game-play.  Strategies required to win maps varies greatly (might, knowledge, economy, ect)

I finished the main campaign and am now working my way through the Challenges for the various clans.

Highly recommended.

Been playing Northgard off-and-on when I've had time, and it's a solid game.

Just got Star Wars Squadrons and I'm loving it pretty well, though I haven't managed to find time to get into the multiplayer part of it.  That makes me sad because the gameplay is amazing and I want to see what happens when there are nine other people flying around the maps.

Has anybody tried 'Among Us'?  I stumbled across a few games done by jacksepticeye and Markiplier, and it looks like a simple and amazing way to play Mafia online.

Just now, Quibby said:

Been playing Northgard off-and-on when I've had time, and it's a solid game.

Just got Star Wars Squadrons and I'm loving it pretty well, though I haven't managed to find time to get into the multiplayer part of it.  That makes me sad because the gameplay is amazing and I want to see what happens when there are nine other people flying around the maps.

Has anybody tried 'Among Us'?  I stumbled across a few games done by jacksepticeye and Markiplier, and it looks like a simple and amazing way to play Mafia online.

Hey welcome back!

I've done a few rounds here and there of Among Us on my android. (free) Pretty fun. 

Hoping to one-day run something on the DM Discord with it one day.

Among Us is hilarious, play it with my sons sometimes, til it ends in heartbreak haha.

I play PC/Xbox here and there, but I am open to playing multiplayer stuff with folks. D&D every week or so (tonight included!)

and lately, a lot of fun games here ?

I played broken Age. Well I bought it and started, but...

It's to easy tasks lol. Maybe I need to play on and it will become harder though I don't know, having a hard time motivating to do so. I think maybe it is made for a younger audience than I realised.

Anyone played it and have a different wiev?

I'm also considering sherlock holmes, life is strange and Quern..

Edited by Lavandula

• 4 weeks later...

What are you looking for in a game?

I don't know Quern, but Life is Strange and Sherlock Holmes are very much driven by story rather than action.  For example, Life is Strange  is an interactive story without any heavy gaming aspects (to the best of my knowledge.  If I'm wrong, swat me on the nose and send me back to my corner.)

10 hours ago, Quibby said:

What are you looking for in a game?

I don't know Quern, but Life is Strange and Sherlock Holmes are very much driven by story rather than action.  For example, Life is Strange  is an interactive story without any heavy gaming aspects (to the best of my knowledge.  If I'm wrong, swat me on the nose and send me back to my corner.)

But they aren't like the some games that are almost like a movie you just have to klick next on after every scene? It is a little solving puzzle and use your brain?

Life Is Strange is supposedly really cool but it's basically an interactive story with some simple mechanics and puzzle solving.

If you want difficult, play Star Wars: The Fallen Order.  The story is amazing and better than any new movie except maybe Rogue One and the combat can be very hard and frustrating.

32 minutes ago, Krakalakachkn said:

Comp or console?

Both being played on PS5.

With Cyberpunk, I knew the PS5 could play it, iffy on my laptop. Figure I'll let it get more optimization patches and mods before I get the PC version.

1 hour ago, Krakalakachkn said:

Gotcha.  How'd you get that ps5 already? 

The Fiancée stayed up all day/night watching for each Drop over on Walmart's site, and got lucky enough to snag one as a surprise early Christmas gift.

Also, I heard Cyberpunk is hella not great for consoles right now.

Yea, it's apparently pretty rough for people on first edition Ps4s/Xbones. Ps5 it plays pretty good. No huge performance drops. Still crashes like every 2 hours or so, but it starts right back up again pretty fast.

I'm not worried, CDPR is pretty good at rolling out fixes for their games, and giving us a TON of Free DLC.