DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Callandor question

athrian

I dont have time to quote the text exactly, but I am 100% sure she says 'aparently magnifies the taint, indusing wildness of the mind'. I suppose the word 'aparently' is key here, but to my recollection, Rand hasn't tried using Callandor since saidin was cleansed.

Here you go...

TPoD Ch. 27

"It is flawed, lacking the buffer that makes other sa'angreal safe to use. And it apparently magnifies the taint, inducing wildness of the mind. So long as a man is using it, anyway. The only safe way for you to use The Sword That Is Not a Sword, the only way to use it without the risk of killing yourself, or trying to do the Light alone knows what insanity, is linked with two women, and one of them guiding the flows."

We do know the flaw is real however...

INTERVIEW: Oct 28th, 2005

KOD Signing Report - Jason Wolfbrother (Paraphrased)

JASON WOLFBROTHER

Was Callandor constructed during the War of Power?

ROBERT JORDAN

Yes.

JASON WOLFBROTHER

Was it used in the War of Power?

ROBERT JORDAN

Yes, that is how the flaw was discovered.

JASON WOLFBROTHER

Why didn't they ward/buffer Callandor?

ROBERT JORDAN

The flaw with Callandor is simply a manufacturing flaw. He went on to talk about how they were at the end of their tech age with only a few sho-wings and jo-cars left. A couple of shocklances were still around but they were not as prevalent as they had been. Anyway they had been mass producing ter'angreal, angreal, and sa'angreal, and there are bound to be flaws with the products. The flaw with Callandor is simply one such flaw.

Thanks for the quote Suttree, had to go to work myself, and only heard it on audiobook while wolfing down my breakfast. :dry:

Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but if there are two flaws, one being the missing buffer, and the second magnifying the taint, then Rand should be able to use Callandor so long as he's carefull not to draw too much. Provided ofcourse that the second flaw only magnified the taint drawn through Callandor, and not whats allready covering Rands mind/brain...

Archived