DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Why Do I Keep Doing This To Myself (A paranoid guy who seems to hate most things reading WOT REALLY slowly)

EmperorAllspice

One thing I wish Robert would do less of is the way he lauds a
character's trait in a hefty brick of exposition just to make them
fail to another character to make that character look more impressive.
For instance: "This Aes Sedai managed to end 99 wars and stopped twice
that many before they began" that kind of stuff. and then Elayne can
easily control her and outtalk her. It just feels like a very cheap
instance of telling instead of showing.

Same thing with the head of the Red Ajah and her capture by the
Aiel. It spiels to us about how mighty and skilled she used to be at
negotiation, but when we see her she's all but broken. It's trying to
make the fact that she's almost broken even more powerful by doing a "oh how the mighty have fallen" kinda thing, but it just
serves to insult the character. You say that they are skilled. SHOW us.
respect the skills you've gone to the effort to establish.

Same thing in Cairhien. The Cairhien have been playing the game
of houses their ENTIRE lives. They live and BREATHE it. They've done
nothing else. But Rand is capable of holding his own if not beat them at
it.

It's a consistant proplem I have, but it isn't a massive
pseudo-deal breaker one. It just makes me roll my eyes whenever it
happens

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

God, I love High lord Weiramon. Seriously, I could read a book about this guy just living his life. He just fascinates me.

And I read the War Law Chapter of Egwene's story. Dear god, that entire scene made me angry. Thankfully, I took a few hours to calm down. So no violent outburst this time.

... still irritating as all hell though.

Good scene.  

In reply to your burdens regarding the writing of the series a couple of things should be noted.  

First, the forsaken are intentionally petty.  They are written this way and it reads like a grudge match which is nauseating but this is done for practical reasons which are elaborated and expounded upon in time.

Secondly, you may as well forget that whole nynaeve being significantly less powerful bit..

Last (for now) the series is somewhat fantastic in nature.  It will never be Game of Thrones despite many of us wishing for it to be :tongue:

Ah, my poor friend. Trying to convince me that the War law scene was awesome.

Egwene needs to be outsmarted. badly. She's getting on my nerves. She's like Dany in book 3 of ASOIAF. Spends all her time winning and outsmarting everyone. Not only is it boring but it's incredibly annoying for someone who doesn't like to see protagonists win all the flaming time.

(Yes, I'm aware that Dany loses later. but that's not due to someone ELSE outsmarting her. It's due to her doing something stupid. They aren't the same. I'd vastly prefer the former over the latter)

• 3 weeks later...

And finished Winter's Heart.

The final battle was nnnnnnnnnyyyeeeeeeeeaaaaaaeeeeeeaaaaaokay.

More interesting than Dumai's Wells at any rate. and better written than Rand vs Sammael. Nowhere near as good as Rahvin vs Rand, Rand vs Ba'alzamon from TGH or Rand vs Be'lal from TDR though.

Not enough villainous dominance for my tastes

Rahvin, Sammael, Mesaana, Mogheiden (before RJ started treating her like garbage), Balthamel have all been good so far. Both in terms of on screen competence and leaving a lasting negative impact on the world.

It really seems like opinions on the subject vary insanely. Some think they're crap. Others think they're brilliant. I honestly don't know who to believe at this point and it's getting on my nerves a little

Also, I wanna know what the hell happened with Demandred in the battle of Shadar Lagoth. Isn't Demandred supposed to be the 2nd strongest channeler who's EVER lived. Just barely second to Lews Therin in everything. A near unrivalled master in both chaneling based and physical combat.... yet he couldn't beat a single Asha'man in a small circle?

Yeah, that's a dignified introduction for one of my favourite villains -____-

Yeah.. One of the bigger motifs of the series is that anyone can be beaten by anyone. Demanded was best at one thing in his time and that was as being a brilliant tactician/strategist. He, simply put, is a commander and not a soldier.

But regardless of what you're expecting from them lets remember that Rand has gotten his ass kicked by a regular guy in a sparring match and the best doesnt always win. ).)

Archived