DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Why Do I Keep Doing This To Myself (A paranoid guy who seems to hate most things reading WOT REALLY slowly)

EmperorAllspice

wait, the world in shambles is due to the Shadow, right? But doesn't making the world so fragmented make it easier for Rand to take over?

Meaning Team Shadow kinda failed on that one.

Or does it just make matters more complex since he was originally planning to just bum rush everywhere with his Aiel army and leave the various nations under aiel occupation but otherwise unchanged. And now, due to Shadow interferance, he has to go through the stress of piecing the kindoms back togther too. He can't just occupy them with Aiel since there's so much else wrong with each area internally.

I hope I got that right

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The fight didn't include the antagonists doing anything epic. THAT'S my problem.

book 2, the Be'lal fight and Book 5 include my favourite fights, since they actually included the antagonists having the upper hand fo a while.

I don't like the heroes being awesome... I tolerate it, but I don't like it. I didn't hate the final battle, there just wasn't anything for me to enjoy.

I like both sides in a battle to be awesome, that way it feels more like an achievment when one side wins. That's why the Aes Sedai capturing Rand was one of the most absolutely AMAZING moments in the entire series. Dear god, I almost cheered when that happened.

and I have all the other books. I can't just quit. I care about the characters and the story. Having fun is the issue

• 4 weeks later...

Gah, everytime the Darkfriends meet the Forsaken, I start to feel sad.

After trying really hard, I decided I liked Sammael's chat with the Questioner in Ebou Dar. Especially the bit in the end when he casually says what awaits him should he fail. That was awesome.

but the whole "I'll send someone to deal with the Aes Sedai" thing just reeks of "Welp, this isn't going to work"

I know it WON'T work because otherwise the main characters would all be dead right now, but the story could at least try to build a LITTLE tension. You could make me THINK that the characters are in actual danger.

This is a good thread, just found it yesterday. It's interesting to see what you think of the series during reading it.

Dammit, why do you people have to make me feel BAD about nt liking Dunwai wells. It wasn't the sort of fight I enjoy. It was too one sided

I didn't like that scene either on the first read because it was "just" a huge battle between many groups and there weren't any Forsaken in it. I was actually disappointed, I don't care about bloody battles (meaning "bloody" literally) that don't contain any philosophical talking like Rand vs Ishamael does. I also love good villains, and a book is nothing without them.

I still love the series, and the last two books are among my favorites, TGS being the best one. It doesn't mean that WoT isn't for you if you didn't love the "Kneel or you'll be knelt" (Though it is epic when I think of it now)

Continue reading, though difficult times are ahead...

Let's see, luck saves Mat yet again. More Tylin nonsense. Mogheiden's lackies think she's full of garbage about the 'greal horde.

Same old same old in the world of WOT. Invincible heroes. Aggravating women. and characters I love being treated like incompetent losers.

sigh... (starts next chapter)

I honestly can't comprehend what Robert was thinking when he was writing any of the Men/Women scenes. They're absolutely agonizing and completely divorced from any kind of reality that I'm aware of..

Specifically, I'm talking about the scene where Nynaeve and Elayne "thank" Mat. Seriously, are we meant to see those two as anything other than utterly contemptable in that scene? Or are my worst fears realized and we're actually meant to SYMPATHIZE with them in that scene and feel sorry for their "plight"?

Pigeons. Mogheiden's aim is thrown off by Light forsaken PIGEONS?! (sobs)

Actually, my problem with Mog is that her whole obsession with Nyn never made any kind of sense to me. It felt very OOC for a woman like her to react in this manner. She's a careful, meticulous, brilliant and cunning schemer who only ever shows herself (if even then) when it's too late for her machinations to be undone. She's a complete coward and the weakest of the Forsaken by a gargantuan margain. Why would she care about how powerful she is? That should be the least important thing on her mind compared to making sure things go as planned.

Yes, Nyn got in the way. This should've proven two things to Mog. 1. Nynaeve is a danger to your plans. and 2. she's JUST as powerful as you are. Why would she want to go anywhere NEAR this woman directly? Send someone to kill her, certainly. but why would she go after her herself? Why risk blowing her cover with the Balefire thing?

If she's meant to be this brilliant and dangerous master of shadows then we need to see it

Archived