DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Perrin's Hammer

Barid Bel Medar

It was a great scene and is a very impressive weapon. That said claiming it may deflect weaves is baseless speculation. There is nothing at all to indicate that is the case. It's good enough as is, I actually think it would be kinda lame if it acted as Mat's medallion as well.

Precisely. He can eradicate weaves in TAR, it's a bit much if he haw a way to do that in the waking world as well.

It was a great scene and is a very impressive weapon. That said claiming it may deflect weaves is baseless speculation. There is nothing at all to indicate that is the case. It's good enough as is, I actually think it would be kinda lame if it acted as Mat's medallion as well.

Agreed to a point. It will not dispell weaves but I think it will serve another unique fuction that we haven't seen yet.

As I have theorized many times, I believe Perrin will learn the truth of what really happened to his family from Bornhald.

It will be Perrin who eventually faces off with and serves Justice (as this what his character is based on) upon Fain. His enhanced senses to counter Fain's illusions and his hammer to repell Mashadar and kill any Fain corrupted shadow spawn sent at him.

Leaving the Dagger and all the remaining corruption from SL for Rand to use as needed.

Agreed to a point. It will not dispell weaves but I think it will serve another unique fuction that we haven't seen yet.

Good call.

I assumed the burning of trollocs was part of the hammer being power wrought and that all power wrought weapons are +1 vs shadowspawn. However reading this thread makes me think I was wrong. On the emotion supercharging the hammer stuff I think that'd be a bit silly to put in but I probably wouldn't mind if it was written well when it's used. I do think it HAS to have something else about it though or else it's just a cool Perrin version of Mat's spear, which hasn't been put to much amazing use as of yet (except against the Finns obviously, that part made my day)

If the hammer deflected any weaves they would be True Power, seeing as it has anti-dark spawn powers.

My first thought on the hammer creation was that it involved his wolfbrother abilities and that the hammer might have a stronger reflection in the world of dreams...of course then i didn't realise where i was going so...

Now i guess the hammer embodies those powers of order we saw in the prologue and so is probably more related to his ta'veren nature.

Just a thought but if the pattern was destroyed would there be a moment where the world of dreams was a place to hide, i mean could it survive as a kind of pattern basic? it is the third constant after all and while it reflects the 'real world' it is it's own place in a way...anyhoo I personally love the hammer and all hammer related products.

Given he is ta'veren he shapes chance and need to his will. I'll wager that during the initial part the Asha'man "messed up" before he got the weaves right to strengthen. So he remembers the way to make power wrought weapons but does not remember the initial part where he was still fumbling around. Nothing to do with Perrin pouring emotions just plain and simple plot device luck... sorry ta'veren luck.

I'm still hoping on the hammer will return to his hand if thrown :P

Im not saying its out of character. Im not griping at him going back to the forge, doing things with his hands, etc. I just dont think he should have been able to add anything to the mix, other than the actual hammer building. If the Shadowspawn bane effect was something the channelers did on top of the regular powerwroughting, it wouldnt be quite as bad, but I didnt take that from the scene.

fair enough; because it's written from Perrins pov it's difficult to say that his emotions affected the forging, we know that he had them and used the forging as a way to work through them. But the sizzling and smoking on the trollocs skin is new to the power wrought hammer so you're probably right.

It's not new to Mat's medallion ter'angreal w.r.t the effect that has on the gholam. So at least there is precedent for the hammer's effect on shadowspawn.

I also think it would be lame in the sense that Mat's medallion gave him a unique edge that fit his trickster character(which is a fancy way of saying it let him be a smart ass to Aes Sedai all he wants, nah nah, boo boo).

If anything, my desire that it would be something equivalent but different then Mat's medallion is the baseless speculation for the sake of my own hope. As we have seen, Rand's and Mat's memory "powers" have actually synched up pretty close. So, it may be speculation, but I don't think it's baseless to say that Perrin is finally entering into the end game, and it's easy to forget just how prime a target a broad shouldered, battling crying, hammer wielding, black smith demigod at the head of an army can look to an opposing channeler. What exactly stops any random dreadlord from sniping Perrin when he finally faces an army with channelers?

I think Perrin is basically a light sided Slayer in that this obvious plot problem hasn't resulted in Perrin being easily disposed off by the weakest Black Sister or Ashaman out there. But then again, Slayer isn't the leader of an army.

My speculation that this may in some way allow Perrin to wield lightning is based on Perun and Thor, Perrin's two main inspirations, both being wielders of lightning. It would seem a good way to vary from Mat's medallion, provide Perrin protection, and give Perrin a thematic ability that would otherwise be impossible for a non-channeler.

While a long shot, I wouldn't call it baseless.

Im not saying its out of character. Im not griping at him going back to the forge, doing things with his hands, etc. I just dont think he should have been able to add anything to the mix, other than the actual hammer building. If the Shadowspawn bane effect was something the channelers did on top of the regular powerwroughting, it wouldnt be quite as bad, but I didnt take that from the scene.

fair enough; because it's written from Perrins pov it's difficult to say that his emotions affected the forging, we know that he had them and used the forging as a way to work through them. But the sizzling and smoking on the trollocs skin is new to the power wrought hammer so you're probably right.

It's not new to Mat's medallion ter'angreal w.r.t the effect that has on the gholam. So at least there is precedent for the hammer's effect on shadowspawn.

Indeed. As I said its not about the hammer itself, it was more about the way it happened. I find it strange that RJ didnt foreshadowed it earlier considering the significance of the hammer in Perrins arc.

Good call

I also think it would be lame in the sense that Mat's medallion gave him a unique edge that fit his trickster character(which is a fancy way of saying it let him be a smart ass to Aes Sedai all he wants, nah nah, boo boo).

If anything, my desire that it would be something equivalent but different then Mat's medallion is the baseless speculation for the sake of my own hope. As we have seen, Rand's and Mat's memory "powers" have actually synched up pretty close. So, it may be speculation, but I don't think it's baseless to say that Perrin is finally entering into the end game, and it's easy to forget just how prime a target a broad shouldered, battling crying, hammer wielding, black smith demigod at the head of an army can look to an opposing channeler. What exactly stops any random dreadlord from sniping Perrin when he finally faces an army with channelers?

I think Perrin is basically a light sided Slayer in that this obvious plot problem hasn't resulted in Perrin being easily disposed off by the weakest Black Sister or Ashaman out there. But then again, Slayer isn't the leader of an army.

My speculation that this may in some way allow Perrin to wield lightning is based on Perun and Thor, Perrin's two main inspirations, both being wielders of lightning. It would seem a good way to vary from Mat's medallion, provide Perrin protection, and give Perrin a thematic ability that would otherwise be impossible for a non-channeler.

But Perrin has been fairly quiet on the world stage since Dumai Wells - and there he was kind of overshadowed by the Ashaman. Since he gathered his army and started trying to return to Rand the Forsaken have actively tried to kill him - granted I'll never understand why they couldn't just travel to his tent and burn the whole thing down - he's not even using the moving sleeping location that Mat is. Oh well *shrugs*

Good call

But Perrin has been fairly quiet on the world stage since Dumai Wells - and there he was kind of overshadowed by the Ashaman. Since he gathered his army and started trying to return to Rand the Forsaken have actively tried to kill him - granted I'll never understand why they couldn't just travel to his tent and burn the whole thing down - he's not even using the moving sleeping location that Mat is. Oh well *shrugs*

Well, on this front, it's never stated outright but it wouldn't seem all that farfetched if any one of the channelers traveling with Perrin was Warding his tent.

And even if they aren't, is one of the Forsaken, especially one as careful as Graendal, going to take that chance?

Aaaah I had forgotten entirely about Mordeth killing his familly... Yes, if he ever learns that from Dain, the hammer might be usefull agains Fain. But come on, he's supposed have a dedicated target already (Slayer). So ... aaaargh RAFO !

I really hope Slayer doesn't play a prominent role in the last novel. I agree that it's possible that he sneaks up on Rand and Perrin saves him at the last moment, but I don't want to see any more chapters wasted on Perrin vs. Slayer. Perrin's essentially bested Slayer twice already (shot him with an arrow, tricked him into entering the nightmare). Slayer's running my patience with the amount of focus he's received.

As I have theorized many times, I believe Perrin will learn the truth of what really happened to his family from Bornhald.

It will be Perrin who eventually faces off with and serves Justice (as this what his character is based on) upon Fain. His enhanced senses to counter Fain's illusions and his hammer to repell Mashadar and kill any Fain corrupted shadow spawn sent at him.

Leaving the Dagger and all the remaining corruption from SL for Rand to use as needed.

This was something that stuck out to me on my reread, although since it was a while ago I'm only about 60% sure I'm remembering this correctly. Fain says that he covered up what Byar/Bornhald did at the Ayberra place, I had a half theory at the time that it was Bornhald/Byar that killed Perrins family, and Fain covered it up, but later I thought it was more likely they'd just sacked the place or something. Does anyone else remember that or am I mis-remembering again? (I'll check the books tonight)

This was something that stuck out to me on my reread, although since it was a while ago I'm only about 60% sure I'm remembering this correctly. Fain says that he covered up what Byar/Bornhald did at the Ayberra place, I had a half theory at the time that it was Bornhald/Byar that killed Perrins family, and Fain covered it up, but later I thought it was more likely they'd just sacked the place or something. Does anyone else remember that or am I mis-remembering again? (I'll check the books tonight)

Fain killed them. From his PoV in TSR31:

He should have restrained himself at the Aybara farm, but Con Aybara had laughed in his face, and Joslyn had called him a filthy-minded little fool for naming her son Darkfriend. Well, they had learned, screaming, burning. In spite of himself he giggled under his breath. Tidbits.

Fain killed them. From his PoV in TSR31:

He should have restrained himself at the Aybara farm, but Con Aybara had laughed in his face, and Joslyn had called him a filthy-minded little fool for naming her son Darkfriend. Well, they had learned, screaming, burning. In spite of himself he giggled under his breath. Tidbits.

Yeah it was the other way around.

From Dain's PoV, earlier in the same chapter.

tSR-31:

Bornhald drew a ragged breath. He was not sure how Ordeith had discovered what he wanted here; one day the man had simply revealed his knowledge. "I covered over what you did at the Aybara farm---"

"Scourge them." There was a hint of madness in that grand voice, and sweat on Ordeith's brow. "Flay them, and the three will come."

Bornhald raised his voice. "Covered it over because I had to." There had been no choice. If the truth came out, he would have more than sullen stares to contend with. The last thing he needed was open rebellion on top of the Trollocs.

I think ya'll are overthinking it. Perrin was leading the effort when he forged the hammer. He wasn't directing the flows, but he was influencing by how he worked the metal, the heat needed and his tvrn-ness and leadership impacted the flows, drew them in.

Holy hell, man. Find something else to gripe about - this was just about the coolest scene in the series.

i totally agree .....

Archived