DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Memory of Light audiobook

csarmi

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Audible will be the cheapest & fastest way to get it. One credit is $15 and two credits will be $30. The book will either be one or two credits. I would recommend starting an account on December 8th. That way you can earn a second credit on the day the book comes out if you need to use it.

Can someone post me a tutorial on how this audible thing works?

What is this credit system? Will I be able to DL the book asap when it comes out? Will I be able to DL it anytime I want to? What format will it be? Will I be able to listen to it anywhere?

That sort of thing.

Evening would be good enough :)

Plan is to DL it asap then listen to it on my tab, or smth along those lines.

Unless I'm mistaken, I can register now. First three months are half price (7.5$), and when those months are up, I cal always cancel. Those 3 credits would normally get me 3books.

Okay I guess what I don't know is whether I'll be able to buy this in Hungary via Audible when the time comes. How do I figure that out?

It seems to be out, however: asks for a Credit Card and I don't have any. Meh, PayPal is so much easier... When do people stop this 'need credit card' nopnsense :(

Yeah, you need a credit card to sign up for it, unfortunately. I think you might be able to go through amazon as well, if you have an account there... Not sure.

You should know, though, that you won't be able to download it in mp3 format. It's a special format that's compatible with certain types of devices, but not others (you can look them up here).

Since you want AMOL on audiobook, I assume you have all the other WOT books on audiobook? How did you get them?

The best way is to start a membership on Audible and begin getting credits for the promotional monthly amounts. AMOL will probably cost 2 credits. You can buy the download on Audible/Amazon without a membership and probably using Paypal, but the non-member price is going to be about $70 US dollars.

You should be able to download it on your PC and then connect your tablet via USB and move the files over. You can listen to it on your PC if worse comes to worse. The next time that wireless is available to you, download the audible app on your android device so that when you move it over from your PC, it should play.

As far as, can you download from Audible in Hungary, I can say this. I was recently in Japan and was able to download from audible just fine. You can normally preview a couple of minutes of a book on the audible website. I would suggest going to audible.com and if you can preview a book then you should be able to download from audible.

It is not released yet. As far as I know, there is no pre-order for audiobooks. Just make sure that you can download from Audible so that on Jan 8th, or whenever the audiobook is released, you can download. Everything I said earlier was in preparation for the day it is released.

csarmi, don't register right now. Audible membership has special prices for beginners (either 7.5USD per month for three months, instead of a regular ~14USD price, or one month completely free and the rest at the usual rate). Memberships work in the following way: each month you get a 'star'. With that star you can purchase almost any audiobook available, although some do cost two stars (for reference, ToM was only one star, and I fully expect AMoL to be as well). Any other purchase you might wish to make during that month will cost you around 60USD.

Now, after you subscribe, you download the audiobooks via a special application, installed either on your PC/Mac (Linux via Wine) or on Android/iOS. You control the quality level (there are five optional levels, I think), but no matter the quality they will make it hard for you to make them into mp3's. Regardless, you can listen to the book almost instantly, and when it finishes downloading you can disconnect from the internet and continue listening whenever you like.

As for the purchasing method, I'm not sure. I use a credit card, but I think you could bypass the need for that.

EDIT: I should've said, the moment you cancel your membership you lose whatever stars you might have. So again don't start one now. You don't need to; It will become available on Jan 8th, and you can register and download it then, more than likely for free.

EDIT2: I just saw that while ToM used to be single-star, it's now a two-stars audiobook. I guess that means that AMoL will be as well, but this only makes it more important that you register through AMoL's product page, so that you only spend 7.49USD on it and don't have to wait a full month to get a second star.

Yea but that means I should register now. I can just cancel after I got the book on Jan 8 and I will have used the three months of lowered prices.

If it's two stars, I ahve to register at least a month in advance anyway.

What do you mean by registering through AMOL's product pge? Then I get it for 1 start instead of 2?

They have two competing programs. One, is the deal with three months at half cost (total 3 stars for 22.5USD). The other is just one month, but completely free, and the rest to follow for 14.95USD. This last program you won't see on their main page, but if you check a book's page, like TWoK, you'll see button for getting it free of charge (that's the second program).

Now, the rest is just my assumptions, but I think it's fairly well based. See on the ToM page, the same button from before now offers you the book for 7.5USD. So I'm assuming that's what it does for 2-star books, it lets you get one star for free, one additional star for the first month, and then after that one star per month at the usual rate of 14.95USD.

This all means that (a) you can register on Jan 8th and still download the book straight away, and (b) if you're only after AMoL, it's cheapest to wait.

You can join the first week in December, and you will pay 7.50US immediately and be charged 7.50 in Jan. You will have two credits (stars) then, and can use them to download AMOL on Jan 8th.

Or you can join now and pay an additional 7.50 but you will have another credit to use for another book. If you haven't listened to any of the WOT audiobooks, they can take getting used to. I think the narrators (Michael Kramer and Kate Reading) are great, but they may not pronounce names like you are used to and that will mess you up. If AMOL is the first WOT book listening to, you may not enjoy it because of the narration. I recommend joining now and listening to an earlier WOT book (pick your favorite!). That way you will be comfortable with the narration by the time you get AMOL. Or, if you absolutely hate the audiobook you listen to, you can cancel after that one and look for other options.

No, I am in no way affiliated with audible.com or the narrators :)

They have two competing programs. One, is the deal with three months at half cost (total 3 stars for 22.5USD). The other is just one month, but completely free, and the rest to follow for 14.95USD. This last program you won't see on their main page, but if you check a book's page, like TWoK, you'll see button for getting it free of charge (that's the second program).

Now, the rest is just my assumptions, but I think it's fairly well based. See on the ToM page, the same button from before now offers you the book for 7.5USD. So I'm assuming that's what it does for 2-star books, it lets you get one star for free, one additional star for the first month, and then after that one star per month at the usual rate of 14.95USD.

This all means that (a) you can register on Jan 8th and still download the book straight away, and (b) if you're only after AMoL, it's cheapest to wait.

So the other method gives me one free book, or what is for free?

Archived